sand rail solidworks made into reality

solixa

the second pic is, if you notice the little purple arrows show where im applying force then the green arrows is where i have the model anchored, in this case testing the shock mounts front and back with 10,000 lbs. this tells me the back is fine but the front needs a little lovin. yes it is stout i used 2inch pipe all around, going be somewhat of a tank..thats not always a bad thing, im going to throw a small block chevy in there putting out around 400-450 hp. so she should scoot right along. ill post up my build pics for everyone's viewing pleasure as i get more.

the second pic is, if you notice the little purple arrows show where im applying force then the green arrows is where i have the model anchored, in this case testing the shock mounts front and back with 10,000 lbs. this tells me the back is fine but the front needs a little lovin. yes it is stout i used 2inch pipe all around, going be somewhat of a tank..thats not always a bad thing, im going to throw a small block chevy in there putting out around 400-450 hp. so she should scoot right along. ill post up my build pics for everyone's viewing pleasure as i get more.

I understand your working with a computer model. Since the frame in real life wouldn't be anchored, woulndn't the stress forces then be transmitted further into the frame giving better results. Also, 10K of force applied instantaneously would break anything. Isn't the force more gradual and dissapated somewhat by the suspension and completed frame. Please don't take this as criticism, I'm only asking in an attempt to learn, I'm not a mech eng, I wanted to be one once so I have an interest.

Edited by FE135

Looks like you're really putting yourself into this :MBdance:

Have you done the welding?

Have you done the CAD engineering? What program are you running?

I too, had an interest when i was younger.

A thought: :MBdance: the weight won't be an issue....until you have to get towed :ahhhhh:

Seriously though, It looks darn good :ahhhhh:

nice design is it a 4 or 5 seater rail .i should learn to use the program to design a sic sand rails. my dad has the program. me George and my other uncles plan to make a sand rail with ford 4.7l 900hp,earphones for passenger communication and air tanks to get fresh air instead of dust particulates :D

Edited by BlitzkriegDUNER

the software i used was solidworks 2009. and yes i understand that the shocks will make up for alot of what that model is exaggerating.. yes i did all the welding myself, used a craftsman 110 flux core, just have to know where to set the wirespeed to get great burns, i use the .03 wire in hopes to get deeper welds and from my pipe bending tests the pipe would curl to be a circle before the welds snaped.. im by no means an engineer, just downloaded the software from demonoid and went to town. theres lots of tutorials floating around on the internet. my guess is the frame alone weights in around 1200-1400 lbs takes 2 adults to lift just the front, same with the back, 4 guys can pick it up off the ground.

• 3 weeks later...

You said earlier that it was 2" pipe. Is that correct? The pics don't look like 2" piping.

Either way, lookin good! Very nice welds.

some of the cross pipes are smaller but for the most part its 2inch all around.. when i get back to the shop ill take another pic with a measuring tape.

Edited by solixa

can you think of any problems i may run into from using thicker pipe then most other rails other then weight?

Weight can be a big factor, but other than that, nothing major... might not be able to find those billet clamp on items like mirrors, grab handles, and whip mounts, etc. You can always weld tabs for that stuff now, if you haven't already, or justmake friends with a good cnc guy, and go 1 off custom on the billet items :MBdance:

Weight can be a big factor, but other than that, nothing major... might not be able to find those billet clamp on items like mirrors, grab handles, and whip mounts, etc. You can always weld tabs for that stuff now, if you haven't already, or justmake friends with a good cnc guy, and go 1 off custom on the billet items :bump:

Frame weights in at 1100 lbs currently