separating the tire from the rims?

goodguys75

do i need to take it to a tire shop to get rims off the tires????? I tired separating the rim from the tire, but was unable too....I want to paint the rims, but tried alot of things to try to paint the rim on the tire, but i think the best thing to do is just take the rims off and then paint....any sugestions :undecided:

They make a tool for doing just that. But if you don't have it and the tire has been on there a long time you might just make yourself mad and the tire will kick your a$$ in the process. A tire shop should only be $5-10 to remove a tire for you. Hell bribe him with a 6 pack and tell him to reinstall it when you have it painted.

They make a tool for doing just that. But if you don't have it and the tire has been on there a long time you might just make yourself mad and the tire will kick your a$ in the process. A tire shop should only be $5-10 to remove a tire for you. Hell bribe him with a 6 pack and tell him to reinstall it when you have it painted.

good advise...from an old wise man lol

Tim when are you coming out here? Turkey day at Dumont?

Capt

They make a tool for doing just that. But if you don't have it and the tire has been on there a long time you might just make yourself mad and the tire will kick your a$$ in the process. A tire shop should only be $5-10 to remove a tire for you. Hell bribe him with a 6 pack and tell him to reinstall it when you have it painted.

ya i think I will take to my buddies tire shop......just wanted to get it done now, and tried like hell to figure out a way to paint with the tire still on....thanks.

Get a stout piece of lumber, like a 4x4 etc. Place it along the outside of the rim. Drive your car, truck up onto the piece of the lumber and it will separate the wheel from the tire. You may have to back up and move the board to the other side of the rim to get completely off but it does work. Helps if you have a friend to guide you. Or you can just take them to a tire shop.

The factory 70atc wheels unbolt. Then you'll have to pry the bead off using a tire spoon. Kind of a pain because they are usually very old, but doable by hand. Going back together is a piece of cake. Just be sure to use new wheel orings and glue them in place.

• 3 weeks later...

The factory 70atc wheels unbolt. Then you'll have to pry the bead off using a tire spoon. Kind of a pain because they are usually very old, but doable by hand. Going back together is a piece of cake. Just be sure to use new wheel orings and glue them in place.

cool thanks....my friend who has a tire shops one of his workers, it took him like 25 min to take the tires apart....they were stuck on there.....I would have never been able to do it at home

• 3 weeks later...

Just did my rear wheels with 2 crow bars of course i tried to do the front tire and noticed that is was glued/silicon on. Now its a pain in the ors, of course i was curious after reading a thread about removing the tire off of the rim so i had to try it myself... Its going to be a pain but if you are willing to take the time and try it g for it, but if there is a tire shop nearby my advice is to take it there and save your time...

• 2 weeks later...