rhino electrical issue.

high octane junkie

i'm completely clueless when it comes to electrical.

my rhino, 2006 se purchased mid june this year, has an electrical issue that i can't figure out. at night drags it started popping fuses (changed fuses five times in four hours) and when i got back to town i changed fuses again. there must be a short somewhere because it has ran the battery completely dead. the battery won't take a charge or something isn't charging it? i dunno.

anyway, this is the issue i have. are there any forum members that can help? i really don't wanna take it to any shops.. my mechanic, dan clifton, is in the hospital as most of you probably know, and i don't trust another shop to work on my stuff. are there any forum members with the knowledge and tools necessary to determine/fix the problem? i live in the green valley area, near gv high school. i have cash, too (which usually helps.)

reply in this thread please, i'll respond with my contact information. thanks for your time and ride on!

Can you isolate the problem. Does it pop fuses with the lights on or off. Does it pop fuses when it is running or even with the ignition on?

it was popping fuses while it was running, at a stand still.

yesterday i jumped started it because the batery is completely dead. when i turned on the lights @ high beam.. it died. i jumped it again and let it run to charge the battery and eventually it just died. never popped a fuse at all. i have no idea what's going on. the battery has no juice, it's probably defective because it was ran down completely dead, but what ran it down and why?

i gotta get this thing going to drop it off at the stereo shop and to run it soon, etc. i'm completely clueless.

Isn't it under warranty or no?

What fuses are blowing? What circuits are they for?

there are two 30 amp fuses, similar to what's in your interior fuse panel in your car, inside the battery box compartment. i've tried to trace the wires. one looks like it may go to the 4wd activator switch.

yea.. it's under warranty however i purchased it at world yamaha on boulder highway and if i go down there i might get myself re-incarcerated for choking someone out there, sorry. also.. my gf called down there and they said it'd be a month before they can get to it and the stereo shop should have my stuff ready to install sometime this week.

What are the fuses for though? It should say somewhere either in the manual or on the fuse box doesn't it?

I hear ya about World Yamaha too. I hate that place. :shocked2:

Maybe Clay from their west store can help you with it as far as getting you into their shop up west and taking care of you. I know the Henderson store sucks but I spoke with him at the night drags and he seemed to want to build a better reputation with the old sportswest store. :banghead:

there are two 30 amp fuses, similar to what's in your interior fuse panel in your car, inside the battery box compartment. i've tried to trace the wires. one looks like it may go to the 4wd activator switch.

yea.. it's under warranty however i purchased it at world yamaha on boulder highway and if i go down there i might get myself re-incarcerated for choking someone out there, sorry. also.. my gf called down there and they said it'd be a month before they can get to it and the stereo shop should have my stuff ready to install sometime this week.

If you cant get someone to help you out.. Try sports west yamaha on sahara and torey pines we have a board member that works there and your stuff will get taken care of.. I do believe that in another thread that they will honor your warranty there vs the other place.. :D

If you cant get someone to help you out.. Try sports west yamaha on sahara and torey pines we have a board member that works there and your stuff will get taken care of.. I do believe that in another thread that they will honor your warranty there vs the other place.. :D

:drunk::drunk: That's what I had just posted Nick! Do you not read the posts before you jump in with both feet? :shocked2: :banghead::flipoff:

High Octain:

I may have some time early this week to look at it. For some background I used to run a car stereo shop for a few years and have a lot of 12v expereience. Let me know if I can help.

Besides that.... Has anything been done to the rhino since it was purchased? Any modifications? When did this start to happen? Was anything done just prior to this? Do you have a repair manual w/ a wiring diagram?

:drunk::drunk: That's what I had just posted Nick! Do you not read the posts before you jump in with both feet? :shocked2: :banghead::flipoff:

Never that would make the forum dull and boring and besides people need to read things twice to get it registered in thier head.. :D

It sounds like you have a problem in the charging system. If an alternator goes to ground it will drain the battery and blow fuses. If it's still under warranty TAKE IT BACK TO A DEALER. You can't install a stereo without fixing the problem. If you do you'll just cause more problems.

High Octain:

I may have some time early this week to look at it. For some background I used to run a car stereo shop for a few years and have a lot of 12v expereience. Let me know if I can help.

Besides that.... Has anything been done to the rhino since it was purchased? Any modifications? When did this start to happen? Was anything done just prior to this? Do you have a repair manual w/ a wiring diagram?

yes.. i've had a few items installed on it as follows:

black rhino performance 500 watt stator & rectifier.

dynatek cdi box.

trinity racing full exhaust.

hardstyle k&n filter kit.

i do not have a repair manual with a wiring diagram, as it wouldn't do me any good. i can handle pretty much anything on a machine except for electrical applications.

it ran fine with these modifications before that night. it needs to be checked out by someone who's motivated and not by someone who's employed by a dealership who'll just want to replace everything on it and take six months doing it.

b370.. you sound confident that you'd be able to diagnose it and/or fix my problem. if you're available sometime in the next couple days i'd appreciate if you can take some time to look at it. i'd be more than willing to compensate you for your time. thanks brother.

It sounds like you have a problem in the charging system. If an alternator goes to ground it will drain the battery and blow fuses. If it's still under warranty TAKE IT BACK TO A DEALER. You can't install a stereo without fixing the problem. If you do you'll just cause more problems.

does that mean that the alternator is bad and needs replaced, or it needs to be looked over and have wires re-ran?

i'm aware that in my case a stator is run and not an alternator, but i'm thinking that you're suggesting that a similar occurence may have happened in my instance but in an automotive technical analogy.

if it's the stator, i doubt black rhino will stand behind their product. they have the worst customer service around.

yes.. i've had a few items installed on it as follows:

black rhino performance 500 watt stator & rectifier.

dynatek cdi box.

trinity racing full exhaust.

hardstyle k&n filter kit.

i do not have a repair manual with a wiring diagram, as it wouldn't do me any good. i can handle pretty much anything on a machine except for electrical applications.

it ran fine with these modifications before that night. it needs to be checked out by someone who's motivated and not by someone who's employed by a dealership who'll just want to replace everything on it and take six months doing it.

b370.. you sound confident that you'd be able to diagnose it and/or fix my problem. if you're available sometime in the next couple days i'd appreciate if you can take some time to look at it. i'd be more than willing to compensate you for your time. thanks brother.

Who did the install on all your extras? I can tell you this... If you bring it to a dealer they are going to tell you warranty is either void or the repairs will NOT be covered under warranty since the electrical sys has been modded.

What is your schedule like the next few days? From wed afternoon on is bad for me. Unless you will be around thursday morning? I should have time tomorrow afternoon as w/ Tuesday afternoon. Chasing electrical problems can be fun :banghead: :shocked2:

:beercheers: whenever we call they get to us within a few days. i wonder whats upp with thatt

Stator or alternator they work somewhat the same way. If the stator is grounded it will have to be replaced. The stator on my street bike went bad and grounded out. I had the same symptoms you are describing.