My tranny issues!

lvnalolife

For those of you that don't know. I have been fighting an ongoing tranny problem with my truck. The shop has chased down numerous problems and every time something else goes wrong. Well, this last trip was enough. Got through the gorge on the way to Coral Pink and the tranny puked all of the fluid out of the front seal.

So here is the deal...

The shop called me today. He told me he would buy me a new tranny from Ford or if I pay the difference get a BTS tranny. Should I just take the Ford unit and live with it or fork up the extra $1000-$1500 for the peace of mind? I am leaning toward the BTS, what do you guys think.

In case you don't know, BTS is Brian's Truck Shop out of Lead Hill Arkansas. He gives you a 2 year unlimited mileage and dares you to try and break it. On www.thedieselstop.com he is the number one recomended tranny builder out there.

So what do you think?

Edited by lvnalolife

Spend the extra cash. Piece of Mind= priceless

Do you want to deal with that sh*t again on future dune trips or do you want to get there and back with your truck and trailer connected? :laughoff:

Seems like $1000-1500 isn't that much to fork out for a "bullet proof" trans. Do it. :laughoff:

For those of you that don't know. I have been fighting an ongoing tranny problem with my truck. The shop has chased down numerous problems and every time something else goes wrong. Well, this last trip was enough. Got through the gorge on the way to Coral Pink and the tranny puked all of the fluid out of the front seal.

So here is the deal...

The shop called me today. He told me he would buy me a new tranny from Ford or if I pay the difference get a BTS tranny. Should I just take the Ford unit and live with it or fork up the extra $1000-$1500 for the peace of mind? I am leaning toward the BTS, what do you guys think.

In case you don't know, BTS is Brian's Truck Shop out of Lead Hill Arkansas. He gives you a 2 year unlimited mileage and dares you to try and break it. On www.thedieselstop.com he is the number one recomended tranny builder out there.

So what do you think?

JJ with all the problems you have had with your tranny, Id definately fork out the money for the piece of mind. looks at the last 2 coral trips and all the hassel and headache you went thru to get there. wouldnt it be worth the extra money to avoid all that and actually be able to get to coral in a normal amount of time?

thats just my 02 cents! :laughoff:

Thats what I was thinking. I will just get the better one. I have wanted that trans since I got the truck. All I have to do is help him draw some mechanical drawings for something he is trying to patent. Easy enough for me.

you have to draw some plans for him and pay the difference out of pocket?? :laughoff:

you have to draw some plans for him and pay the difference out of pocket?? :laughoff:

Yeah maybe two or three hours of work for me. To be honest he can tell me to F off if he wanted to. I'll be glad to do a drawing for him to get my new tranny. Its called the barter system you know? Except for I'd rather give my time rather than money.

Advice to give dont know much on tranies but I do agree with you that your tran sucks at least you admit it. JUST SELL IT!!!!Ha Ha :laughoff::laughoff:

Lets see, your first post and you're talking sh*t already. Actually I though about it, but why? The only issues I have really had have been the stupid transmission. Now if I could fix it and not have to worry about the tranny anymore, why would I get rid of my truck that can pull the trailer to get another one and start the payments all over again? Just can't justify it.

I could have picked you up one from Woods this past weekend... as i was no more than a 10 min drive from his shop all weekend!!!! but he isnt good enough for ya... ohh well... i just laugh when people tell me his trannys arent good enough yet he has a twin turbo 7.3 and has no problem lighting up all 4 tires and roasting them and then hook up to a 30' trailer and tow it without a problem...

I could have picked you up one from Woods this past weekend... as i was no more than a 10 min drive from his shop all weekend!!!! but he isnt good enough for ya... ohh well... i just laugh when people tell me his trannys arent good enough yet he has a twin turbo 7.3 and has no problem lighting up all 4 tires and roasting them and then hook up to a 30' trailer and tow it without a problem...

I never said he wasn't good enough, but if you want to start that debate feel free. I am going with what 90 percent of the people on the ford diesel site recomend. He is one of the top listed but BTS is by far the most used/recomended. If John Woods can beet the quote from BTS and have it here soon, I might consider it. I just want something that I can count on to work when I need it.

what happens when or if bts fails... how long are you out a tranny... You cant drive cross country to get it fixed right away.. Personally a TOP tranny builder only 5 hours away in a pinch sounds better than waiting to get a tranny freight cross country to another guy if you know what i mean...

what happens when or if bts fails... how long are you out a tranny... You cant drive cross country to get it fixed right away.. Personally a TOP tranny builder only 5 hours away in a pinch sounds better than waiting to get a tranny freight cross country to another guy if you know what i mean...

SHUT UP SHUT UP SHUT UP!!!!!!!! BTS makes the most bullet proof Ford tranny there is!!! U DON'T KNOW EVERYTHING!!!!! :laughing::flipoff::flipoff::flipoff::flipoff::flipoff::flipoff:

Well the tranny shop screwed me out of getting the BTS. He will only pay towards a new Ford unit. However it will come with a 3 year 75,000 mile Nationwide Ford warranty that is good anywhere which if (or maybe when) it breaks, I can take it to any Ford and they will swap it out for a new one. I guess it will work for now. I guess the newer trans has a lot of Ford issued updates. We can only hope it will hold together better.

Well the tranny shop screwed me out of getting the BTS. He will only pay towards a new Ford unit. However it will come with a 3 year 75,000 mile Nationwide Ford warranty that is good anywhere which if (or maybe when) it breaks, I can take it to any Ford and they will swap it out for a new one. I guess it will work for now. I guess the newer trans has a lot of Ford issued updates. We can only hope it will hold together better.

:woo_hoo:

What happened?

What shop is this?

:eatdrink021:

What happened?

What shop is this?

Origionally the shop to remain nameless at this point, said he would buy me the Ford unit or pay that towards the BTS unit. He came back later and said he would rather just buy the Ford unit with the Ford warranty of 3 yr/75,000miles. I guess I can live wiht it. If something did happen I could take it to any Ford and they would swap it out for a new one at no cost to me. It will work for now. Besides there are a lot of design changes for the better since my year (first year of the superduty) on these trannies so the new one has all the updated parts in it. Instead of rebuilding mine it makes sense to get the NEW one he is buying, not a Reman.

HEY LVNALOLIFE, MY TRUCK IS A 99 WITH 80.000 MILES, MY TRANNY TOOK A SH!T ON ME ALSO. I SHOPED AROUND AND WENT AHEAD WITH THE FACTORY FORD NEW TRANNY. SAME 3 YEAR/75000 MILE AS YOUR GETTING. LIKE YOU SAID IF IT GOES AGAIN...FORD FIXES IT. :shocked2: HOWEVER I DID CHANGE THE GEARS TO 488 NOW TO ACCOMODATE THE 38'S, AND PULLING A 40 FT WW. :eatdrink021: ANYWAY GOOD LUCK. SEE YA OUT THERE. :stick_smack: :mc_smiley:

after you get the new tranny sell the damn thing and get a chevy... :D

Well when you get something that can tow call me up. Why would I sell the truck when the only issue I have had was the tranny? And it all started cuz the shop that re-built it was f*cking retarded and couldn't get it right.

Hey maxdout, 4:88 sounds like overkill. Do you ever drive that thing on the frewway? I have 4:56's and it is about 2500 rpms at 75 or so. I bet it pulls like a mother!