Using smartphone for mobile hotspot

racegirl04

I'm using a "mi-fi" from Verizon for internet while we are living up here in Idaho. But I'm thinking about getting rid of it (to save some money) and getting an Iphone and just using that. Does anyone do that? The Verizon website says you can use it to do that, but they say it costs extra...anyone know how much that runs? I have the unlimited data package.

Thanks for the info. I'm a little leary of getting a new phone and then jacking with it. Is it covered under warranty if you've done the "jailbreak" thing and then something happens to the phone? I can't help it, I'm a worry wart lol

yes its still covered under warranty, and worse case scenario you can always load it to default

there was actually a class action lawsuit against APPLE that they lost saying they owned the phone, the courts ruled in favor of the people, see link below

http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/2010/07/feds-ok-iphone-jailbreaking/

Ive done it with my past few iphones with zero problems....

• 2 weeks later...

I have the Android and use both, PDA.net as well as the root method. You can download an app called ZROOT and the phone basically acts like a wi-fi. It's a wireless tether. Easiest? PDA.net. Just download the free app and connect your charger/USB cord from your phone to your laptop. Downside? you can not use PDA.net to access secured sites unless you pay their fee. Good luck!

Edited by teamrags

I'm using a "mi-fi" from Verizon for internet while we are living up here in Idaho. But I'm thinking about getting rid of it (to save some money) and getting an Iphone and just using that. Does anyone do that? The Verizon website says you can use it to do that, but they say it costs extra...anyone know how much that runs? I have the unlimited data package.

I had recently purchased my 1st smart phone, did alot of research prior to purchase. android to apple, and ended up going droid...read ALOT OF PEEPS who found it difficult to transistion from one to another...droid to apple or vise versa!

Edited by SAND~~SNAKE