New California Bill AB 1595 PLEASE READ!

I have followed this bill trying to see what can be done to stop it. I found this contact info on another site which we need everyone to contact these people to get this bill changed. We need everyone to help stop this.

Another Update UPDATE!!!!

I spoke to Tim Itnyre - Legislative Director. He said they realize now they made a mistake and made the requirements so stringent, that it discriminated against young children or people who have other circumstances where they cant reach the floor. He said they are working to strike 38604. A person operating a recreational off-highway vehicle shall not ride with a passenger, unless the passenger, while seated upright with his or her back against the seatback with both feet flat on the floorboard, can
grasp the occupant handhold with the seatbelt and shoulder belt or safety harness properly fastened

And not only that they are going to strike down RHINO OWNERS you are going to like this good news!!!!! 38603. A person operating a recreational off-highway vehicle shall not allow a passenger to occupy a separate seat location not designed and provided by the manufacturer for a passenger.

The plan is to have this done in the next 4 weeks while Legislation is in office and they can have the Governor sign the amended bill. If this can not happen in time, they will contact all the Parks and BLM service and explain to not enforce this new law as it is in the process of being amended. The original intent was to categorize these new mass production manufactured vehicles and enforce a helmet and restraint law. he did not say this was pushed by the manufactures, but I guessed that was what he was getting at.

So keep the calls going as this will continue to put the pressure on them to get this amended before closing and the first of the year when the law would be in effect. Also if you call they woill put you on a e-mail list so when this gets put in front of the Legislature you will know about it. You will also get an e-mail as soon as the Governor signs the amendment. Just that is worth the phone call!

Paul Cook's office

34932 Yucaipa Blvd.
Yucaipa, CA 92399
909-790-4196
909-790-0479 fax

Tim Itnyre - Legislative Director
State Capitol, Room 5164
Sacramento, CA 95814
916-319-2065
916-319-2165 fax

Spent a half hour talking with Mathew an aid who reaffirmed the above! "We will have to do some heavy lifting, but we can get it done" friendly and he gave up that he himself has handled 2 dozen calls since this morning! Squeaky Wheel gets the grease! Keep the emails going and calls up we got their attention, it is an election year! I invited their office to come out and ride with us to see what was going on! He told me "We had no representation" and that is something we need to fix!

• 2 weeks later...
Just a quick question. Do any of the new bills or any other for that matter say I cant put my daughters car seat in the back seat of my rail and drive to comp hill to watch or anything?

no this only affects SxS's.

Thanks for the quick reply Dan.My little girl is gonna grow up at the dunes and I didnt know (being new to it myself) if there was any laws saying i couldnt drive with her car seat

no problem, ya I know my daughter loves the rhino so iv been fighting hard to get this amended...we shall see.

• 3 weeks later...

there is more on this on the AB1595 thread I think. If I remember right, the new bill removing the "feet on the Floor" and one other rule was written and set to be passed a couple weeks ago. I haven't heard anything back about if it was passed or not. I know the Helmet part was set to be moved to July1st, 2013, instead of being implimented on Jan, 1 2013 allowing them time to rewrite this part as well.

This is a great case of the people in office having no idea about the offroad community. They got a quick lesson and over 100 calls in one week, which they said was very high. Hopefully... hopfully... in the future they will use some lessons learned about contacting and communicating with offroaders. opptomistic i know, but i have to have some hope.

http://www.dumontduneriders.com/invision/index.php?showtopic=17685

Edited by Rap_Rider