Trip report 2/8-10

Adam @ GTP Off Road

It really seems like a lot happened this weekend. From weather, to riding, to people coming into camp and going home, to riding, to a broken XP and a part search, to more riding, to installing a light bar, and then some more riding.

Mike, Jodi, and I arrived Thursday night. We unloaded and setup camp. no riding, just some campfire time.

Friday was riding time. We got in some good runs. Some where in there Keith and Brook joined our camp with their XP. We had 2 others join the camp with a RZR 4 and they came out on a couple runs with us. Jodi and I were on quads, with Mike and Keith in the RZRs. Mike and Keith were jumping and Keith was FLYING! yes i got some video coming. Keith managed to damage the rear CV joint and was down. Back at camp, yep, needs a new one. Call around and finally found the part at Ridenow on Boulder. Sweet, Doug (flvtfan) was coming out later. Keith calls to pay, and says Doug will pick it up. Ridenow says NO!!! WTF. Ok, what now. I decided to make a call to a manager i know at a different ridenow and see if that helps. Reluctantly, he pulls some strings and we are able to get the part. Doug was AWESOME to go out of his way to run over and pick the part up. We had some of our LED lights with us, so we made up a kit with a 30" light bar and did a nice custom install right in camp on the RZR 4 while we figuring out the parts issues for Keith. Friday night it rained, so not much campfire time, just a movie with Mike and Jodi in the hauler.

Doug and Travis made it to their camp Friday night later. So, Saturday morning i was entrusted to take Mike's RZR over to their camp and get the Half shaft for Keith. Keep in mind i don't drive SxSs, and haven't even really riden in one before. That thing has some power, I didn't get off the flats, but man, it feels weird to drive that VS. being on a quad. Doug was out at their camp and gave me the part, and a case of beer. Keith was happy, and his daughter was VERY happy to be back in action. Since the XP was already apart the install was very quick. Out for our first ride of the day. I lead a few runs, and apparently I was going fast... lol Doug came over for a run, but was riding one of Travis's Banshee's since his bike is down for more power mods. Doug ended up dropping out and heading back, as he didn't like the banshee feel. At Doug's camp we met Jason, and he came on a ride with us, leading pretty fast to North Pole. I led back from North pole, and got video of Keith's roof when he lifted off going over a roller by Superbowl. We put in some good time in the dunes, good runs, and even a few jump spots. There were some good photos taken but Jodi, Mike, and Brook have most of them. Mike's friend Jason got out there late Saturday, and we talked around the campfire. This was Mike and Jodi's anniversary weekend so they needed some "private time." I locked up the quads, unhooked the trailer, and headed over to Doug's camp where he had a spot for me to sleep.

Sunday was back over to Mike's camp, unlock the bikes and try to start my Outlaw that usually sits on the trailer. Jodi's bike smoking pretty bad and not wanting to start. The Outlaw needed some ride time, so it was good to have it there. Out on a ride with Mike, Jodi, Keith, Brook, Jason, and Jason's friend (sorry bad with names) and me. More good run time, and i had to lead. I was going a little slower this time. Keith headed back from the South pole to load up and head out. We went back to camp shortly after to get camp broke down, and try for one more run. It's always that one more run that gets, someone. Coming up over a razor, Jason lost the back end, and it caught at the top, tipping in on it's side at the top of the hill, half way over. Jason was fine, and we tipped it back up. It was halfway on the hill and we had to keep weight on the front to make sure it stayed. XP was good, but had a crack in the intake so time to just head back to camp. he was behind me, and my gopro battery was dead. So i didn't really get any video. At least no injuries. Back at camp we all loaded up and got ready to head out.

It was a great weekend. We had rain, wind, and it was a little cold at times,giving us a little of everything. We left some nice tracks for others to follow, and maybe the dunes will get cleaned up a little. They were starting to already throughout the weekend.

Good write up....the weather was perfect Saturday(during the day) and Sunday, too bad I couldn't enjoy it a little more. I'm not a fan of duning a banshee, got spoiled with my yfz. Got my head back today and everything installed, my carb should be here Weds or Thursday and I'll get it broke in this weekend hopefully without any issues. Heading to Afghanistan in April now so I need to get all the riding in that I can since my season will be done the last week of March. Pretty sweet pictures Mike!

Edited by flavtfan

So busy these days I didn't even know there was a trip report... :dope::laughing:

Adam pretty much covered the weekend. It was a GREAT one.

Friday's storm in the desert made for some spectacular photo's! :pics: Really made me wish for that new Nikon Cool Pics P510 that I have been eyeballing.. I am over due for a new camera! I see a new one in my future via tax return..

So much riding to be had, I was totally sand satisfied after the weekend. Pretty empty dunes.

Big thank you to Adam for letting me tear it up on the Outlaw, must say, not a bad bike, I was pretty comfortable on it. Poor Trusty Rusty is having a hard year. But she is 7 yrs old :(

Pics next.. maybe tonight.