12-16-06 weekend report

dunefreak

Good times like always. The weather couldn't have been better, sand was smooth. :xmas_grin: I still can't believe how nice it was especially for what the forecast was for the weekend! :slap:

It was great hanging out w/ everyone. I'm glad that everyone was able to make it out- even for the day on Saturday. Good times, guys.

Some really sh*tty news. My sandrail frame is destroyed. :flipoff: I somehow broke ANOTHER spindle. YES, ANOTHER SPINDLE! :DDRrocks::laughoff::idiot: I wasn't even doing anything crazy. I was cresting a steep razor and bang...the right front wheel goes flying off and Pauly & I get a face full of sand and came to a stop really fast. I looked down and noticed my frame was broken in about 3 places (non-repairable). :ninja: The frame cracked and broke right in the spots that had been welded on from previous damage (cracks that developed). Needless to say I am very unsatisified with this spindle design. This time it cost me a sandrail.

So I am gonna save whatever I can from the car (motor, seats, shocks, etc) and build another car. I just have to make some decisions and figure out what I am gonna do. I'd like a Tom Pro car for my next rail. We'll have to see how much cash I can scrape together. :(

I'll post up pics soon.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

sorry to hear about the rail that sucks pete glad nobody got hurt. hopefully it wont be to long down the road before you are able to be railing again. glad i was able to meet up with you guys and get the south pole reastablished. we had a great time with the weather being so nice and my kids were able to ride all they wanted with out the large crowds of people.

Good times like always. The weather couldn't have been better, sand was smooth. :xmas_grin: I still can't believe how nice it was especially for what the forecast was for the weekend! :dunno:

It was great hanging out w/ everyone. I'm glad that everyone was able to make it out- even for the day on Saturday. Good times, guys.

Some really sh*tty news. My sandrail frame is destroyed. :bawl: I somehow broke ANOTHER spindle. YES, ANOTHER SPINDLE! :laughoff::ninja::slap: I wasn't even doing anything crazy. I was cresting a steep razor and bang...the right front wheel goes flying off and Pauly & I get a face full of sand and came to a stop really fast. I looked down and noticed my frame was broken in about 3 places (non-repairable). :flipoff: The frame cracked and broke right in the spots that had been welded on from previous damage (cracks that developed). Needless to say I am very unsatisified with ShortSandCars' spindle design. This time it cost me a sandrail. Luckily that's all it cost me! It could have been our lives. :bawl:

So I am gonna save whatever I can from the car (motor, seats, shocks, etc) and build another car. I just have to make some decisions and figure out what I am gonna do. I'd like a Tom Pro car for my next rail. We'll have to see how much cash I can scrape together. :(

I'll post up pics soon.

Pete so glad nobody got hurt!! Damm this sucks! I don't know that it will help but I met Tom from Tom Pro cars in Idaho this last summer. I would be glad to call him when your ready to see if I can help with any $ #'s. I wouldn't say we were best friends but while he was rebuilding his tranny I lit up his area with my trailer lights and had several conversations with him. He's a nice gentleman and his wife is very nice people. Again I am glad you guys were ok, metal can be fixed or replaced, body parts well, take it from me they can't!! :idiot::DDRrocks:

Bummer Pete. Right in the middle of the season too. :bawl:

Yeah, tell me about it! :(

These pics don't even show how bad the car is. :bawl:

The frame is broke in about 4 spots- you can't really see in the pics how bad the floor and front end is buckled.

normal_S2010058~5.JPG

normal_S2010059~6.JPG

normal_S2010060~6.JPG

Here's how we got it back to camp...we took the front end suspension off and loaded it up in Pauly's pickup. :laughoff: Paul's truck now holds the title for most uses out of a pickup in the dunes.

As Joe Duner said..."that's one expensive whip mount for that truck!" :laughoff:

normal_S2010065~4.JPG

normal_S2010067~4.JPG

normal_S2010069~3.JPG

I posted some pics in the gallery from this weekend here.

Damm man! that sucks pete, sorry to hear that...

broken stuff for the weekend list...

1. OGP's axle on his rail

2. my 2 wheeler blew up, again....

3. petes rail is ruined

4. another ddr member broke a durablue axle on his quad

5.????? anything i missed???

anyone seen steveo lately..

:laughoff::laughoff: :angry22: sorry to hear that,,,wondered what took you so long to get home!!glad your ok!! did pauly chip another tooth during that or did the rail get all the damage!!

Edited by rhino king

Pete so glad nobody got hurt!! Damm this sucks! I don't know that it will help but I met Tom from Tom Pro cars in Idaho this last summer. I would be glad to call him when your ready to see if I can help with any $ #'s. I wouldn't say we were best friends but while he was rebuilding his tranny I lit up his area with my trailer lights and had several conversations with him. He's a nice gentleman and his wife is very nice people. Again I am glad you guys were ok, metal can be fixed or replaced, body parts well, take it from me they can't!! :laughoff::laughoff:

Thanks Terry. We'll talk about it sometime. I have talked with Tom in the past as well. He is a very nice guy from the conversation I had.

I would get in touch with Short Sand cars and say WTF?

Yeah...ya think??? They definitley have a spindle design flaw.

Was it the same spots as before? where things were re-inforced?

Granted the frame broke where it had been welded on in the past, but there is no excuse why these spidnles keep breaking. The frame was probably more than likely weakend from the previous welds from those frame repairs.

Damm man! that sucks pete, sorry to hear that...

broken stuff for the weekend list...

1. OGP's axle on his rail

2. my 2 wheeler blew up, again....

3. petes rail is ruined

4. another ddr member broke a durablue axle on his quad

5.????? anything i missed???

yeah...my awning! :bawl: I got a small burn hole in it from some "flying debris" on Saturday. :bawl: I should have listened to Joe about parking so close to the fire. :coocoo:

:laughoff::laughoff: :angry22: sorry to hear that,,,wondered what took you so long to get home!!glad your ok!! did pauly chip another tooth during that or did the rail get all the damage!!

:laughoff::laughoff: that wasn't the only reason I got home so late. Today was BEAUTIFUL out! :laughoff: Other than the rail it was an epic weekend. :D

Got back and unloaded, traffic wasn't to bad. Had a great weekend out there, better I think without the big crowd. Meet a few more people and had a fun time. I've got some pics also, think Pete took the same one's I did. Thanks for the ride Joe, was a blast, made me decide which way to go. Look forward to the next one....Semper Fi, Woody :laughoff:

Well it sounds like everybody had a good time! Noone got hurt and everybody made it home in one piece. Sorry to here about the machinery failures but anything man made can and will break. I wish I could have been there but I have to pay for my transmission repairs. I'll be seeing everybody soon. :laughoff:

Edited by Don29palms

I think this was one of the best weekends yet!! Here are a few of my observations

1. duning in paulys truck is awesome. lol good times (where are we? go left, go left)

2. Rhinos are rescue vehicles to. lol Your never goin to hear the end of that paul

3. Tres sobes rock!

4. Petes trailer stairs are hazardous to my health.

5. Big Fire

6. I smell clutch! :laughoff::bawl::bawl::laughoff:

7. first time ever we had sobe bottles left, but no fire. lol lol

8. getting stuck out by the south pole in the friggin dark rocks! it was kris fault.

9. Cole likes to do tricks on his bike, even if he is really crashing. (almost looked like a trick, hope your ok cole)

10. kayla doesnt like dirt bikes, hope your leg gets better

11. oh yeah, dont air your truck tires back up till you know for sure you dont have to do another rescue!

12. and last but not least, DONT TAKE A 2 WHEEL DRIVE TRUCK OUT IN THE DUNES TO RESCUE SOMEONE, YOU WILL GET STUCK!!

Ok I think thats all for now. Ill post pics shortly, still charging the camera!

I really had a great time this weekend. :laughoff: