satellite dish advice

Craniacs

I have a direct tv reciever ready to go and need an antenna ....any advice for the toyhauler?

cant afford the autosearch in motion types.. I have used the tripod mounted one in the past and hate it..

anyone using the roof mounted crank up type? anyone using digital magic?

I have a direct tv reciever ready to go and need an antenna ....any advice for the toyhauler?

cant afford the autosearch in motion types.. I have used the tripod mounted one in the past and hate it..

anyone using the roof mounted crank up type? anyone using digital magic?

I also use the the on the ground method and am going to the crank up model - I think that the ease of aiming(Usually about 5 min) on the ground one will be just as easy with the crank up model.

OK since we just got our trailer, I am ignorant to using a satelite dish in it. At Dumont we tried to use the dish and screw it into the outside coax connection on the trailer, but could not get it to work. It says that it is wingard satelite ready, does that mean you have to use that type of setup? Is there something different in the splitters that will not allow the satelite to work? We ended up having to connect it directly to the box and it worked but not through the trailers outside hookup.

We used a Las Vegas zip.

Is there another outlet for cable/ant. there? If so try that one, they might be wired backwards? We just got our setup and will be trying it over New Years, what is a Vegas Zip, I'll try it also, Thanks...

OK since we just got our trailer, I am ignorant to using a satelite dish in it. At Dumont we tried to use the dish and screw it into the outside coax connection on the trailer, but could not get it to work. It says that it is wingard satelite ready, does that mean you have to use that type of setup? Is there something different in the splitters that will not allow the satelite to work? We ended up having to connect it directly to the box and it worked but not through the trailers outside hookup.

We used a Las Vegas zip.

There is a 12v power supply going to the coax jack in the trailer and it will interfere with the sat. signal. Take the jack out of the wall and there should be 2 coax'es plugged into it, one's for the power TV antenna hench the 12v power(boosts tv signal) and one's for the plug on the outside of the trailer, figure out which is which and add another jack inside the trailer using the coax going to the outside trailer plug.

As for which sattilite set-up to use..... forget the tripod been ther done that, trying to get it level, trying to get it to stay up, what a pain. I just installed a Wineguard crank up system with the DIgital Magic, it's way better then the tripod. Just push the button on the Digital Magic and crank it up to the correct elevation, find you direction, fine tune it and your done.

Installation only took a couple of hours. You can find them on e-bay for under 300.00.

• 1 month later...

To those that use the crank up dish on top of your rigs with the Digital Magic..........doesn't the wind mess with your reception??? I have that same setup in my rig and the first sign of wind really messes up my reception. What I have done to avoid that is, I bought a second dish, mounted it to a flat peice of board with 100' of cable and two sand bags. I put the dish on the ground around my rig where I'm going to get the best reception. I find the signal, fine tune it, and sand bag the board, that way I don't have to worry about the wind one little bit. With this setup, my dish and tv reception has gone through 50 - 60 mph winds out there and not moved one bit.

Basically, I was wondering, does your dish on top shake when the wind picks up like mine, or do I need to go get it looked at??

Edited by HappyHour

I've had the Dish for 7 years, have the Hi Def one now, made 1 mount that swings out under the back bumper of my little pusher and 1 on top where I removed the parallel arms and antenna and cut 2 slots in the bottom of a short section of EMT (2" conduit with 2 bolts thru pipe and orig tv mount)) so it would slide over the OEM Winegard mount, wasn't sturdy enough to rotate and keep stable so a couple self drilling screws through the mount to base fixed it. Have to climb up the ladder but at Dumont I tilt up a four panel solar set up or I would use the ground level one and keep an eye on the midgets on wheels. The best thing about a rig vs tripod setup is when attaching what ever mount to your rig, have your rig level so when level at your campsite your dish mount is already level, can be a pain trying to get 2 or 3 satellites at the4 same time. After you do it a few times it gets alot easier.