New ATV law for kids under 14 going into effect

Crowdog

http://www.thedesertsun.com/apps/pbcs.dll/...UPDATE/61223002

New ATV law for kids under 14 going into effect

Kakie Urch

The Desert Sun

December 23, 2006

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Beginning on January 1, 2007, a new law requires any child under the age of 14 on an All Terrain Vehicle (ATV) to be directly supervised by a parent, guardian, or an adult designated by the parent or guardian, when operating a ATV on public lands, according to a news release from the Riverside County Sheriff's office.

And parents can receive a stiff fine -- up to $500 -- for not supervising their kids.

Sheriff Bob Doyle said, " These new laws will be enforced vigorously and we want parents and children to ride safely and follow the new rules."

Deputy Sheriffs can issue a citation under California Vehicle Code section 38504.1 and a judge can order a fine for the adult who fails to provide direct supervision.

First offenders may be ordered to attend an ATV safety certificate training class or fined.

The first fine is $125.00. Second or third offenses result in larger fines. The second fine is $250.00 and the third or any subsequent conviction, a fine not less than $250.00 nor more than $500.00.

i, for one, am glad to see something like this come along. too many times I have seen kids, under the age of 10, on an atv or motorcycle, with no parents around, doing things that they shouldn't be doing. I was at Hungry Valley OHRVA a year ago, and saw 2 kids riding 2 up on a 50, crash right into a toyhauler. the 50 was a pep-boys special. the parents, not much better, about 500 yds away, ripping into their second bottle of albertson's vodka, not watching a damn thing.

it is people like that that give our sport a black eye. As a parent, when my son is riding, he is all I am focusing on. I want to be able to pass this great sport of ours on to him, and teach him the ways of respect and responsibility. after all, with all the greenies after our riding area, and all the negativity we get in the press, we need future RESPONSIBLE riders to carry the torch. If the next generation of our sport isn't, our sport WILL disappear, imo

i, for one, am glad to see something like this come along. too many times I have seen kids, under the age of 10, on an atv or motorcycle, with no parents around, doing things that they shouldn't be doing. I was at Hungry Valley OHRVA a year ago, and saw 2 kids riding 2 up on a 50, crash right into a toyhauler. the 50 was a pep-boys special. the parents, not much better, about 500 yds away, ripping into their second bottle of albertson's vodka, not watching a damn thing.

it is people like that that give our sport a black eye. As a parent, when my son is riding, he is all I am focusing on. I want to be able to pass this great sport of ours on to him, and teach him the ways of respect and responsibility. after all, with all the greenies after our riding area, and all the negativity we get in the press, we need future RESPONSIBLE riders to carry the torch. If the next generation of our sport isn't, our sport WILL disappear, imo

I agree. Regardless if it is a PepBoys or Honda quad the child knows no different. It is up to the parent to watch them. To many parents are more a friend than a parent these days. :DDRrocks:

"albertsons" is a high end store you must mean "food 4 less" some "krogers" vodka :DDRrocks::stirthepot::laughoff::flipoff::woo_hoo::unsure::DDRrocks::DDRrocks:

T-day weekend, we had just pulled out of vendor row (far end by Hog Heaven), when I see this kid, maybe 12, driven' a Rhino, flying around that turn practically on 2 wheels, rubbing his eyes with one hand (NO eye protection on), & steering with the other. I was SOOO ready to follow that kid to see who the hell was NOT supervising him! He's lucky he didn't roll that thing!

:DDRrocks: OK, I'm done. Thank you very much! :D

This is nothing new, I'm trying to attach a press release from 2004 with almost same rules. Yes it's great to inact more laws, but IMO, we have enough laws that are not being enforced now. Please don't label all us parents as Vodka drinkers cause we don't supervise our kids. Our group has some of the best 11 to 15 year old riders that are very dune savy. We very often have them lead our group to or from a location as we trail behind to make sure they are doing everything as we would. If somebody gets stuck in the middle of the pack, an adult stops to help, and now there is a group of kids riding with no supervision until we catch back up, or the kids notice and turn around. I am much more concerned about "THE OTHER GUY" taking out my kids then my kids taking out themselves. For some real fun, give the kids the vodka while we race the 80's :DDRrocks::stirthepot::laughoff:

ATV_Law.pdf

:stirthepot: This is pure BS, and typical of californicating law enfrocers. Anything to bring in revenue to the lazy butts that sit around waitng for a crash to respond to. In Utah, a kid 8 years old can take and pass a safe riding course. With that,a child can ride anywhere we do, ALONE. First time I or my kids get fined for not being with trained and experienced safe riding kids we have, I will go postal on the rat that tries to ruin my weekend with my grandkids. iThs the biggest bunch of crap I have heard of on this site. Thanks for the update. Sand mountain and coral pink are looking better all the time.

Other than that rant,..................... MERRY CHRISTMAS, all you Duners!!!!!! :D:DDRrocks:

This is nothing new, I'm trying to attach a press release from 2004 with almost same rules. Yes it's great to inact more laws, but IMO, we have enough laws that are not being enforced now. Please don't label all us parents as Vodka drinkers cause we don't supervise our kids. Our group has some of the best 11 to 15 year old riders that are very dune savy. We very often have them lead our group to or from a location as we trail behind to make sure they are doing everything as we would. If somebody gets stuck in the middle of the pack, an adult stops to help, and now there is a group of kids riding with no supervision until we catch back up, or the kids notice and turn around. I am much more concerned about "THE OTHER GUY" taking out my kids then my kids taking out themselves. For some real fun, give the kids the vodka while we race the 80's :happydrunks::xmas_grin::DDRrocks:

lol vodka drinkers.

believe me, i have seen more resonsible parents than not. but it only takes one clown to ruin it for the rest of us

vodka drinkers....ill have to remember that one...

This is nothing new, I'm trying to attach a press release from 2004 with almost same rules. Yes it's great to inact more laws, but IMO, we have enough laws that are not being enforced now. Please don't label all us parents as Vodka drinkers cause we don't supervise our kids. Our group has some of the best 11 to 15 year old riders that are very dune savy. We very often have them lead our group to or from a location as we trail behind to make sure they are doing everything as we would. If somebody gets stuck in the middle of the pack, an adult stops to help, and now there is a group of kids riding with no supervision until we catch back up, or the kids notice and turn around. I am much more concerned about "THE OTHER GUY" taking out my kids then my kids taking out themselves. For some real fun, give the kids the vodka while we race the 80's :happydrunks::xmas_grin::DDRrocks:

:blury: That is exactly how I feel!!! Our kids do not go out unless there is at least one adult with them. NOT because we don't trust them, we don't trust "THE OTHER GUY"! That's just a chance we are NOT willing to take!

that is EXACTLY the way i feel about it too. some freekin parents today are just :xmas_grin:

great idea, but where do kids in nevada go to get the safety course in vegas? do the atv shops have them, are they free, do they frown upon a yamaha rider going to a honda course? thanks

great idea, but where do kids in nevada go to get the safety course in vegas? do the atv shops have them, are they free, do they frown upon a yamaha rider going to a honda course? thanks

Hmmm, well since it was my hubby that picked up the kids' quads (bought them in Parker, AZ), they had him take their little ol' safety course, which was a joke anyway. All he had to do was to drive down the street, or parking lot, turn around, and prove that he could stop the darn thing. No certificate issued. HOWEVER, the new quads did come with a video tape and we did sit the kids down and watched it together. We took them out to Apex for a practice run before going out to Dumont.

In answer to your question, Polaris does offer a safety course, but couldn't tell ya if it's free or not. I hope the dealerships here in town would let anyone take a course no matter what they're riding. Your best bet would be to make some phone calls. :D