anyone on the board from the los angeles area? Sylmar, Ca to be exact

trqjnky

hey hey peeps! :beercheers: just wondering if anyone here was from the los angeles area (Sylmar, Ca to be exact)??? I have a job opprotunity that would require my presence in l.a. and surrounding areas. the business is located out of Sylmar, Ca. whats rent going for out there? gas prices and all that stuff. im trying to get an idea of the cost of living increases out there from vegas. ive never really liked california :laughing: , but the money i could make here would be well worth it. the job would be working for a well known race vehicle wiring guy. hes already "in" with all the big time race teams, and has several parts that he's designed/built. hes got a lot he can teach me, and lots of money i could make. im not really looking forward to moving from vegas though. having to meet all new people and all that stuff that goes along with moving. btw, how far of a drive is it to dumont from la???

Edited by dnchevyman

hey hey peeps! :surrender: just wondering if anyone here was from the los angeles area (Sylmar, Ca to be exact)??? I have a job opprotunity that would require my presence in l.a. and surrounding areas. the business is located out of Sylmar, Ca. whats rent going for out there? gas prices and all that stuff. im trying to get an idea of the cost of living increases out there from vegas. ive never really liked california :shoot: , but the money i could make here would be well worth it. the job would be working for a well known race vehicle wiring guy. hes already "in" with all the big time race teams, and has several parts that he's designed/built. hes got a lot he can teach me, and lots of money i could make. im not really looking forward to moving from vegas though. having to meet all new people and all that stuff that goes along with moving. btw, how far of a drive is it to dumont from la???

Approx. 250 miles from Magic Mountain to Dumont.

hey hey peeps! :surrender: just wondering if anyone here was from the los angeles area (Sylmar, Ca to be exact)??? I have a job opprotunity that would require my presence in l.a. and surrounding areas. the business is located out of Sylmar, Ca. whats rent going for out there? gas prices and all that stuff. im trying to get an idea of the cost of living increases out there from vegas. ive never really liked california :shoot: , but the money i could make here would be well worth it. the job would be working for a well known race vehicle wiring guy. hes already "in" with all the big time race teams, and has several parts that he's designed/built. hes got a lot he can teach me, and lots of money i could make. im not really looking forward to moving from vegas though. having to meet all new people and all that stuff that goes along with moving. btw, how far of a drive is it to dumont from la???

hey Dan try mapquest it gives ya all the info on mileage and time

Hey dnchevyman...........I live in Santa Clarita, Ca. which is about 15 miles north of Sylmar. To answer your questions.........gas is anywhere from $2.55 per gal. to $2.69 per gal. for 87 octane depending on where you go. As far as living conditions are concerned, I would say that you do not want to live in Sylmar, it has become a cespool and a third world country with all the illegals running around. I would say north to Santa Clarita although some rentals are expensive, but you can find some places not so expensive if you look around. South of Sylmar there is North Hills, Northridge, Canoga Park, Burbank, and a whole host of other places to live which are nice communities. Rent will go for anywhere between $800 a month to $1800 a month depending on size and location and apt., condo, or house. Houses have been known to go for $2500 a month in rent.

As far as distance to Dumont, and I know it doesn't really matter to you. But from my house here in SCV, to the flats at Dumont is exactly 208 miles, just as an FYI.

Good luck in your future endevors if you choose to take the job......... :surrender: :shoot:

hey 80grit and happyhour, sounds like sylmar is kinda ghetto, and santa clarita is the place to be. 15 miles isnt far at all either. can ya tell me any more about the area? whats it like compared to vegas ?(nightlife, what is there to do there? is there plenty to keep someone entertained?)?

Well having lived here virtually all of my life, and having not been "out on the town" in a few years, I'm not real sure anymore. What I can tell you is that there is a nightlife here, although not like Vegas. You've got the usual bars to go to. There is Red Robin at the mall that I've heard goes off on occassion. If you're not so into dressing nice and just hanging in levi's and a t-shirt, you've got bars like Mable Roadhouse which is kind of a dive bar, but it is fun. There are bars scattered all over the place, I guess you just have to find one that suites you and your style. Like I said, I have not been bar hopping in a few years. Maybe 80grit can give ya more info.

As far as what to do, you've got Magic Mountain, and Hurricane Harbor here. During the summer months, at Central Park (sound ghetto, but isn't) they have free concerts in the park which are cool. Last couple of years they have gotten tribute bands to play such as, Led Zeppagain, Hotel California, Boogie Nights, Van Halen tribute band, and some more that I can't remember. There is a motorcross track that holds races that is about a 20 minute drive up the Hwy 126 towards Ventura, I've never been, but heard it is pretty cool. The way Iook at it is this..........the desert = 1 hour drive........the snow = 1 hour drive......The beach = 1 hour drive.............pretty centrally located I'd say.

Hope this helps.............. :surrender:

hey 80grit and happyhour, sounds like sylmar is kinda ghetto, and santa clarita is the place to be. 15 miles isnt far at all either. can ya tell me any more about the area? whats it like compared to vegas ?(nightlife, what is there to do there? is there plenty to keep someone entertained?)?

80Grit and Happyhour are right!!

Sylmar is a HOLE!! :barf: Simi Valley/ Santa Clarita/ Ventura are very good communitys to live in! I have a friend that is with the L.A.P.D. :dance: and he hates working that area!! Its like North Town Las Vegas but x10! There is nothing but Gangbanger punks shooting each other :fro: and stealing your SH#*! Do you remember the North Hollywood B of A shooting back in 1996 or so... That area is not to far from Slymar! Really try to stay out of the immediate valley area if you can. Burbank or Glendale is a good area to live in but is REALLY EXPENSIVE though! And as for the traffic... I used to commute to that area for 6+ years! It sucked! It is like the 15 & 95 "Spaghetti bowl"on a friday or saturday night! When rush hour hits your stuck! :laughoff: As for the night life try the Sunset strip in the Hollywood hills area! Its unreal! :dance: :shoot: :bash: :fro: :laughoff: But stay out of WEST HOLLYWOOD clubs next to Beverly Hills, its boys town!! :laughoff: In all.. Yes you will be entertained with the L.A. club scene :surrender: :smoker: :laughoff: and the everyday freak show people that crawl out at night! :idiot::laughoff::laughoff: Glamis is on the Baja Mexico border off of the 8 hwy In Imperial County south of San Diego. Its about 3 1/2 or so from the L.A. valley area! Some of the local bike shops can point you there! FYI.. The Gecko area in Glamis is like a war zone during the big holidays. We usualy camp down by Border Town or the wash areas by there! GOOD LUCK WITH THE MOVE!

Edited by Dune Family

ummm errrr I'm 50 yrs old and been married for 19 years so my bar hopping days are long over. So I couldnt steer ya in the right direction in that area.

But if your into boating and wave runners, we have Lake Castaic 5 miles from Magic Mtn and Lake Pyramid another 5 miles north from there. In the summer when it is hot, we ride our quads and two wheelers at Gorman which is about a 30 minute drive north up the 5 freeway.

There is a large equestrian community here if your into riding horses.

We have alot of beachs within a 45 minute drive and they are packed in the summer. Snow skiing in the winter up in Big Bear Mtn.

There is alot to do down in the valley too. Universal City Wok, House of Blues, Concerts, and the Shaqless Lakers.

I would think with your trade (custom wiring) you would keep pretty busy. There are alot of custom shops in the area and I would think with all the studios down here, there would be opportunity there also.

Damn your right in the area where it would take you the same amount of time to get to either Glamis or Dumont. Instead of taking the 15 north to dumont just take the ten east to glamis. its not that bad. :D