Horsepower?

CHOPJAW

Ok, I've driven go carts, shifty carts, and I own 3 KTM's. I was told that a first-timer that buys a rail should not get anything close to 500HP. I was told that I should stick to low hp because I'll get into big trouble with the HP. I have a good head on my shoulders. I always (try) ride my bike within my ability. I have the money to spend $50K on a nice used rail or a new one but I'm actually putting some merit to what my friend is saying to me. Is he correct, somewhat correct? He is really over-cautious.

Thanks

Chop.

I think as long as you know how to drive well and you aren't an idiot, you can go ahead and get whatever kind of car you want for your first car. My mini rail is pretty damn fast and it was my first car. :beerpint: Just be careful, get used to how a sandrail acts in the sand, and then work your way up with aggressiveness. :laughoff:

You need to decide on what kind of rail you want , high mantenence or low? 500 real hp comes at a price, and its higher matenence, and or $$$ to resolve problems because of lack of knowledge. I know there are advertised 500 ls1 cars everywhere....Virtually all are imaginary 500 hp engines. Dont get me wrong they are fabulous engines, and even at 360 hp are fast, but all the marketing finds ways to sell em, and thats higher numbers. I build ls1's daily and turbo them, thats my job, and I get good laughs at the numbers.

Most of the ls1'1 and ls2's that are 500-525 hp are crate motors with 224 cams in them, and on a good day would dyno 360 rwhp. On an engine dyno, corrected to better then ideal conditions, with no accessories and good exhuast and welll you get the idea, you could get a 500 crank hp number. A ls2 with l92 heads and the l76 intake will probably get real close, and will be the favorite soon.

If your not familiar with turbos, stay away until you have a grasp on em.

Knowing that you have kart experience, (as do I) I dont think you d have any problem with a big hp rail, I d be more worried about the cost of upkeep or the design/ knowledge limitations you may lack.

Some great advice above. I started like you(40k budget ended up spending more). It was my first rail but I had a few years experience (about 10) duning my quad. Like you said, if you have a good head on your shoulders, know yours and your cars limits and don't let your adreniline get the best of you, then you should be okay.

As far as the car, it might not be possible with a 50k budget, but if you plan on using a v8 to get that much hp don't settle for anything less then an S4, better yet a Fortin or Albins. 2D's can't handle the torque of a V8.

my rail is 580 rwhp on westech dyno. thats around 700 hp at the flywheel . its high maintanence. i do not use an ls1. but im dropping the boost to make mine more user friendly. mine is not glamis hp its the real deal.

i only write this to let you know first hand its a handfull with that much hp .as written above not a good starting combo nor is a turbo ................

if you can afford it get a 410 ci ls1 with afr heads and a kenny bell blower on pump gas .you can grow into the power. have the ease of pump gas, and when your ready to rock you can get good power out of it. there very smooth on the power band .

every one has differing opinions that would be mine, the kenny bell blower is a very efficient 6 lbs blower so it doesnt give a big hit . with those cubic inches and a small boost its awsom.

if you get anything bigger than a stock ls1 i strongly recomend you step up to a sequential tranny .the 2d will not hold much past 500 flywheel hp and at 450 hp alot of guys are only getting a couple of seasons out of a 2d.

wheelies and jumping are immenent even for an easy driver lol .anything over 600 hp you have to look at albins or mendeolas new sequential .make sure you get 934 axels even if its a stock ls1. micro stubs will eas maintanence.

if you plan on keeping the car and later upgrading keep in mind the trannies all mount different .albins and all 4 mendeolas mount differently. so make sure what you ultimatly want. and put the tranny in accordingly now

or the cost will be crazy later or you will sell and start all over

thats my :laughoff:

im on my 4th buggy and my second lt car for what its worth

alot of these guys can and did (above) give you good advice to. so research before you jump measure twice cut once :beerpint:

p.s. sandsport magazine has a pretty good write up on ls1 motors in this issue pretty cool check it out !!! :laughoff:

Edited by barefoot bob