Holding Tanks

Kitcat

Does anyone know if you can either add or make your holding tanks bigger? We just went out in our new Raptor 3018 TT and our black and gray tanks filled up quickly. The black tank is 28 gallons and the gray is 39 gallons. It concerned me because we're supposed to be self contained on President's Day. I haven't had a chance to ask the dealer about this yet.

:laughoff:

Are you sure they filled up? I say this because the sensors are always inaccurate and causes the moniter to read full. This is because all the crap (literally) that gets on the sensors in the holding tanks. :mischevious: :thumb:

I agree with Pete, and if you're not level, the readings will be off too! Sounds mighty small for a black tank. We carry 100gal fresh, 40 each black and gray on a 33 footer. Never read full on the black yet, (came close Thanksgiving; had guests too) fresh said empty at the end of T-day weekend, but kept pumpin' water anyways. Our gray does fill up, especially on extended weekends....when the bathtub won't drain, that's a sure sign!!

In answer to your question, yes, you can buy 'auxillary' holding tanks. We have been considering adding additional gray storage to ours. But in the meantime, I conserve by using a wash tub in the kitchen sink, dump it in a hole outside or into the black tank. I try to wash as few dishes as possible, but there's always some to do, especially cookware. We also utilize the outside shower nozzle for the really messy stuff. Oh, and I keep plenty of sanitizing hand wipes on board for the anal son...much less running of water that way!! :D

I have checked the sensor accuracy by using a hose and timing how long it takes to fill a gallon container. then put the hose in the toilet or tub and time how long it takes for each sensor to come on. good idea to shut water off at each light to let the turbulence settle. You can gauge how much room you have left. I did this with the fresh water tank and found out it was 120 gals not the listed 100 gals. When my fresh water sensor indicates 1/3 left, it has 60 gallons.

We also use water like it costs $5 a gallon! conserve,

Are you sure they filled up? I say this because the sensors are always inaccurate and causes the moniter to read full. This is because all the crap (literally) that gets on the sensors in the holding tanks. :woo_hoo: :mischevious:

Yeah, my husband looked down the hole of the black tank and it looked pretty full. I also learned that he likes to fill up the bowl more before going #2. Plus, I think there had to been water in the tanks prior to us getting the rig from the dealer. They probably ran their checks and didn't dump the tanks. We didn't look at the light sensors before we headed out. Thank goodness we did this test run. I told him to pee outside on Pres Weekend!!! It'll just be the 2 of us (another excuse to not bring "friends"), so that'll help, but we'll be there from Thursday - Monday.

:thumb:

I agree with Pete, and if you're not level, the readings will be off too! Sounds mighty small for a black tank. We carry 100gal fresh, 40 each black and gray on a 33 footer. Never read full on the black yet, (came close Thanksgiving; had guests too) fresh said empty at the end of T-day weekend, but kept pumpin' water anyways. Our gray does fill up, especially on extended weekends....when the bathtub won't drain, that's a sure sign!!

In answer to your question, yes, you can buy 'auxillary' holding tanks. We have been considering adding additional gray storage to ours. But in the meantime, I conserve by using a wash tub in the kitchen sink, dump it in a hole outside or into the black tank. I try to wash as few dishes as possible, but there's always some to do, especially cookware. We also utilize the outside shower nozzle for the really messy stuff. Oh, and I keep plenty of sanitizing hand wipes on board for the anal son...much less running of water that way!! :D

We checked and we were pretty level. When we go to Dumont, we're going to use only use paper plates & plastic utensils. I cook everything and store it in plastic containers, so all we have to do is heat up our food or grill it. Last time we went to Dumont, my hubby used the outside shower to wash his hair!!!

:thumb:

I have checked the sensor accuracy by using a hose and timing how long it takes to fill a gallon container. then put the hose in the toilet or tub and time how long it takes for each sensor to come on. good idea to shut water off at each light to let the turbulence settle. You can gauge how much room you have left. I did this with the fresh water tank and found out it was 120 gals not the listed 100 gals. When my fresh water sensor indicates 1/3 left, it has 60 gallons.

We also use water like it costs $5 a gallon! conserve,

\

Yeah, we're going to have to really conserve when we're at places like Dumont where there's no hook ups. Do they have anyone that offers dumping services out there???

kelly's right on---we also use a wash tub for what little dishes there are and PAPER PLATES,CUPS,AND PLASTIC UTENSILS. thats the only way to go. i love costco :D

LOL - my husband's a manager at Costco, so I have my own personal shopper!!! We have tons of paper plates and plastic cups. We even use them at home.

:D

Edited by Kitcat

Yeah, my husband looked down the hole of the black tank and it looked pretty full. I also learned that he likes to fill up the bowl more before going #2.

We do that, I thought everyone did! :dunno::driver:

Plus, I think there had to been water in the tanks prior to us getting the rig from the dealer.They probably ran their checks and didn't dump the tanks.

I betcha just hit the nail on the head! Makes sense, or else your dogs are pullin' pranks on ya when you're away! :P

We didn't look at the light sensors before we headed out. Thank goodness we did this test run.

The ALL important test run!! Actually, it took me a couple of 'em before I decided where I like things to go, test driving the water usage, so to speak, and making it feel like a true home away from home!

I told him to pee outside on Pres Weekend!!!

I thought everyone did that! :laughing: :dunce:

\

Yeah, we're going to have to really conserve when we're at places like Dumont where there's no hook ups. Do they have anyone that offers dumping services out there???

No, there are no services at Dumont, however, there is a dump station at Tecopa. It'll take some practice, but you'll get used to it. Just make sure you bring another source of drinking water along, that'll help conserve too, (on the fresh anyway, :dunno: ) or a 5 gal GOTE jug, just in case!

No, there are no services at Dumont, however, there is a dump station at Tecopa. It'll take some practice, but you'll get used to it. Just make sure you bring another source of drinking water along, that'll help conserve too, (on the fresh anyway, :beercheers: ) or a 5 gal GOTE jug, just in case!

Yeah, I don't make coffee or drink the water that comes out of the tap! We're bringing a bunch of fresh water jugs for us and the doggies! They're spoiled!!!

We're going to really conserve! :D

kelly's right on---we also use a wash tub for what little dishes there are and PAPER PLATES,CUPS,AND PLASTIC UTENSILS. thats the only way to go. i love costco :D

Don't listen to Smurf. They didn't realize they were only using half of their fresh water until they camped their 50th trip!!! :beercheers::DDRrocks::banghead:

Don't listen to Smurf. They didn't realize they were only using half of their fresh water until they camped their 50th trip!!! :headbang1::laughing: :monkeedance2:

Yeah, I'm not as worried about running out of the fresh water, as I am running out of room in the black tank!!! :monkeedance2: That would be scary!!! :dolphin:

the cheese version :headbang1:

We had 7 people using our facilities for the 4 days we were @ Dumont over superbowl weekend. We didn't have a problem with black, grey, or even fresh water, and everybody took at least 2 showers!

Black tank- mine is 40 gallons. I personally would rather use the pit toilets, then have to dump my own waste, but that is me. Heck, the toilets in the pit stalls, imo are more comfy than in the trailer anyhow, with more room on both sides for, ahhh, ummmm, stretching out. :laughing: After the second day, the other people in my trailer noticed that I was riding to the toilet # 3, and they started doing the same. If you are worried about prez's weekend, then this is an alternative to filling up your black tank.

Grey tank-I carry a 55 gallon drum that is usually reserved for fresh water, but have been using it more for grey water. I just dump the grey tank into the drum. Also, all grey water comes from these sources, sinks and showers. you cannot avoid the water from the shower, but, instead of washing your hands in the sink, get the anti-bacterial gel to do that. I also have an outside shower, where I will rinse my hands, instead of inside the trailer.

To avoid water in the grey tank from dishes, use paper plates and plastic throwaway silverware. I only wash the dishes from cooking in the dinner, and minimize those by cooking what I can on the grill (meat, garlic bread, potatos, vegetables like zucchini and carrots). I also plan our meals around this.

I hope this helps.

btw, I dumped the remaindeer of my fresh water Monday after work, and I had about 15 gallons left :monkeedance2: