Looking to buy a quad, need suggestions

Handy

I sold my 2wheeler and an older bike I had and am looking to get brand new from dealership. What do you guys think is one of the better bikes available? So far I've been leaning towards the Suzuki Quadracer 450. Anything I plan to get has to be a 450 or more, preferably a 4 stroke for reliability purposes.

Any suggestions?

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I sold my 2wheeler and an older bike I had and am looking to get brand new from dealership. What do you guys think is one of the better bikes available? So far I've been leaning towards the Suzuki Quadracer 450. Anything I plan to get has to be a 450 or more, preferably a 4 stroke for reliability purposes.

Any suggestions?

What quads have you been on before? What appeals to you about the R450? When I first learned I tried every bike we had out there and liked each for different reasons. My preference was the R450 over the YFZ, mainly do to the way they ride but I am a smaller person and the YFZ was a harder ride for me. I bought a Z400 and I am happy with the suzuki. We have had about the same amount of problems with the suzuki and the yamaha, both 2006 and been to the sand about the same amount of times. Thats just us personally, I dont know which one is better based on ratings. Good luck with your purchase, I am sure you will be happy with either one you choose.

I am 6'2" and 210 and have duned on some of the fastest 4 strokes ,YFZ's , and the new zuki, 450r's stroked poked and modded. I am most pleased with my 700 raptor.It's not stock, its not the fastest, but it keeps up with every quad I just taked about. The front end stays down and I can open it up fast on the dunes without it bucking me off. I really suggest for your size you give the 700 raptor serious consideration. Electric start, efi, and reverse are nice to have. By the way, when I place my grandsons on my raptor and they race against those other 450's, it wins. The only thing that gives it a run is modded 450r built to 520. all 450's come up off the line front wheels up unless you sit way forward, and for our size, that is not comfortable.

Try a new raptor 700. you may be very surprized. :D

I own 2 honda 450r's an 05 and & 06. I haven't had a problem with either one. the 06/07 r better than the 04/05's. I don't know what kind of riding u do. my son mostly just does the hill shoots up comphill with the 06. nothing against yamaha's, but r 06 honda will beet the 700 in the hill shoots. pretty even with the yfz 450's. we've added a a cam ,full exhaust and + 2 a arms on the 06. the 05 has a cam and slip on exhaust. it stays pretty even with the 660 raptors,but can't touch the yfz's. so it all depends what kind of riding u do. the susuki 450 has a wider front end and better shocks than either the honda or yamaha. they're all about the same price + - $500 msrp.

u might want to go to las vegas motor sports (craig & lamb) they sell yamaha's and susuki's, or cater power sports on 215 and decauter, they sell honda;s and susuki's. go sit on them and see how they feel. to ya. then maybe u can barter with em on what one u want.

Hey go with the raptor 700r its bad a$$. Throw some skat trak haulers on it and youll smoke 450s all day with pipes cams whatever i have a slip on HMF on mine and a stock intake still and 450s cant hang and my dads 220 pounds beating 450s. On the trails these bike can power over anything just crusing 2nd or 3rd gear perfect for duning or trials

Hey go with the raptor 700r its bad a$$. Throw some skat trak haulers on it and youll smoke 450s all day with pipes cams whatever i have a slip on HMF on mine and a stock intake still and 450s cant hang and my dads 220 pounds beating 450s. On the trails these bike can power over anything just crusing 2nd or 3rd gear perfect for duning or trials

:offtopic:

so r u talking that a stock 700 will beat a cammed and piped 450. tell me u ain't saying so. my son ahs raced a couple of 700 that had cam's, H/c pistons and still stayed even or beat em. all depends on who got the holeshot. But if ya got to get a 700 to beat a 450, that ain't speaking much for a 700 LOL

Are you buying new or used? If you are going used, I would look for the cleanest bike with the most/best bolt-on mods already on it. The mods cost a small fortune starting from scratch, and you'll end getting them eventually. I'd probably steer clear of bikes with motorwork unless your savvy with the tools.

If your going new, then buy it from as far away from the southwest as possible. Rockriver Powersports in Wisconsin has treated me right on several purchases. Las Vegas shops will screw you to high heaven. In deciding the type, you need to match your riding style. Yamaha's are good for speed, Honda's are known more as a comfortable ride, Suzuki's are kind of a hybrid i guess. They all have their strengths. One thing is for sure Yamaha and Honda will have the best parts availability.

All that being said I prefer YFZ's. I have 2 and wouldn't buy anything else.

I'd go with a LTR-450... I just bought one a month or 2 ago and love it...I have an 03 660 Raptor with shocks +2 a arms pipe and some other stuff its like riding a semi truck compared to the LTR..YFZ's are ok but I'd rather buy a 40 dollar cherry bomb...and a pipe with the LTR instead a pipe ,shocks... A arms... jetting... like you would with a TRX or YFZ...

I'd ridden the Honda and Suzuki 450's, a newer Raptor 660 and 700, not the YFZ450 though.

I love the suspension on the suzuki. When I ride do a lot, hillshoots, riding the dunes, trails, jumping, and so on, so not too much of the same thing.

Honda 450r all the way the 700 is a sport bike and the 450's are race bikes. A 450 Yamaha or Handa with a pipe like ESR air filter kit and jet kit is a very fast bike nothing else will touch it. the Sucksuki is a very heavy bike I wouldn't reconmend it :beercheers::laughing::think:

Honda 450r all the way the 700 is a sport bike and the 450's are race bikes. A 450 Yamaha or Handa with a pipe like ESR air filter kit and jet kit is a very fast bike nothing else will touch it. the Sucksuki is a very heavy bike I wouldn't reconmend it :laughing::think::thumb:

What :idea::beercheers: what do you consider heavy

Honda 450r all the way the 700 is a sport bike and the 450's are race bikes. A 450 Yamaha or Handa with a pipe like ESR air filter kit and jet kit is a very fast bike nothing else will touch it. the Sucksuki is a very heavy bike I wouldn't reconmend it :clap: :dance: :dope:

Dry Weight

Suzuki 450- 368lbs

Yamaha 450- 350lbs

Honda 450- 350lbs

Edited by Foxysandchick

:clap:

so r u talking that a stock 700 will beat a cammed and piped 450. tell me u ain't saying so. my son ahs raced a couple of 700 that had cam's, H/c pistons and still stayed even or beat em. all depends on who got the holeshot. But if ya got to get a 700 to beat a 450, that ain't speaking much for a 700 LOL

Yep thats what im saying.I can almost say ive beat every 450 ive ran against except 2 one had 525 nos motor and the other one was a turbo motor. So its all rider. And if it aint speaking much for a 700 then how bout this a 700 is 396 pounds a 450 is only 350-368 so you tell me they got me in weight thats all start and who can ride the woops the best.

Yeah, think I'm gonna end up on the Suzuki 450

NOOOOOOOOOOOOO buy a honda over a suzuki but a yamaha over all of them. The only thing ive said bout suzukis is they look good when i look back and see the front end and the rider leaning all the way forward wondering whats wrong with there CAM'd PIPED CHERRY BOMB SUZUKI. RAPTOR 700R MAN!!!