Water in oil

dunefreak

I have a 94 YZ250. Before Halloween I found water in the case oil when I changed it. I put in fresh oil (synthetic) and rode it all weekend. I went to change the oil tonight and the oil is still milky, but not as bad. The coolant is barely low (about a 1/2" from the neck of the rad) and it doesn't smoke or have any signs of condensation from the exhaust. What do you all think? Is it something to do with the synthetic oil maybe mixing with the old sh*t? Or what? :laughoff: The oil the first time was GREY GREY and milky. This time it was like a kinda milky blue/green/grey color but not AS bad. Any thoughts or opinions???? I changed it with regular oil and am gonna ride the sh*t out of it this weekend regardless.

I'd post a pic of the oil but my camera is on a mexican cruise right now w/ Mrs. Dunefreak. :laughing:

• 2 weeks later...

I have a 94 YZ250. Before Halloween I found water in the case oil when I changed it. I put in fresh oil (synthetic) and rode it all weekend. I went to change the oil tonight and the oil is still milky, but not as bad. The coolant is barely low (about a 1/2" from the neck of the rad) and it doesn't smoke or have any signs of condensation from the exhaust. What do you all think? Is it something to do with the synthetic oil maybe mixing with the old sh*t? Or what? :thumb: The oil the first time was GREY GREY and milky. This time it was like a kinda milky blue/green/grey color but not AS bad. Any thoughts or opinions???? I changed it with regular oil and am gonna ride the sh*t out of it this weekend regardless.

I'd post a pic of the oil but my camera is on a mexican cruise right now w/ Mrs. Dunefreak. :grin:

blown head gasket

what about the gasket at the bottom of the cylinder where the case meets the cylinder... i can see that leaking and gettin water in to the crank case.. since its below the piston it would leak directly into the case.. hmmmm forgot about that one...

what about the gasket at the bottom of the cylinder where the case meets the cylinder... i can see that leaking and gettin water in to the crank case.. since its below the piston it would leak directly into the case.. hmmmm forgot about that one...

you dont get it. the trans case with oil in it is not the crankcase. they are separate like bert said. water in the crankcase wont go into the trans case unless there are serious seal or gasket issues. :laughoff: of course then i think it would really run like crap too. if at all.

• 2 months later...

Well this is quite an old topic, but still something that has been a concern for me. Nothing has come up that has posed a problem w/ my bike. :laughoff: I have changed the oil about 3-4 times since I saw the intermix. Every time I changed the oil it has looked better and better. Last night I changed it 1 more time (wanted to ck it before I went out this weekend) and no intermix at all!! :laughoff: I am thinking the "intermixed" looking oil was maybe just from going w/ a fully synthetic oil after running regular oil in the past. I have seen synthetic & reg oil do this before. They don't mix. They kinda turn to a jello type substance. I am now sticking w/ the old regular non-synthetic oil that I have always run and never had problems with. I am still keeping my fingers crossed and gonna keep an eye on the oil & coolant. I'd love to get a new 2 wheeler, but just love my 'ol 94 too much. :huh: :hello:

Usually if you have water in the crankcase oil it is from a bad water pump seal. Worst case scenario would be a cracked case. If you have a bad head gasket it will have steam coming out of the tailpipe and the coolant level will drop and you can smell exhaust fumes in the radiator.

Usually if you have water in the crankcase oil it is from a bad water pump seal. Worst case scenario would be a cracked case. If you have a bad head gasket it will have steam coming out of the tailpipe and the coolant level will drop and you can smell exhaust fumes in the radiator.

right, Don, but I think the milky-ness was from synthetic and non-syn oil combining.