What oil do you run in your Trans?

Just doing some service and got to thinking, with pretty substail trans carnage in sand cars, there must be some pretty strong opinions about oil use? I can tell you one thing, they run hot, thats for sure.

So whats your choice and why?

I use to run Lucas cause that's what the tranny builder recommended, but I switched too a new builder (Sam at Rancho Performance Transaxle) he recommended using this stuff called Synergyn I never heard of it before but Sam is a very reputable builder and I trust him. It better be good @ 65 bucks a gallon :DDRrocks::D . I have a mendeola 2-d.

Edited by painterjoe

Im running valvoline 80-90w oli as recommended by my trany builder. He said stay away from synthetics. The gears love the synthetics, But the diff hates it. Im running a 2D. More like Abusing my 2D.

Edited by ORIGINALPIMP

I run 75w140 synthetic in my midengine vw powered toy. My trans builder says its ok. He prefers non-syn because the seals have a tendency to leak w/syn. I use it because i get the $25 a quart stuff Gratis! Have had no leaks! I don't think anyone has had a trans fail due to bad fluid. Maybe lack-of. Run what your trans builder recommends. As long as he knows what it is used for and the HP going into it.

Edited by ntrsandman

As for the seals leaking...if the tranny builders used the right sealer they wont leak with synthetic in them.

Tim I dont understand why he would state such a thing??

Any synthetic is good but if you change it often enough regular Valvoline is fine.

I run redline oil go to there web page & read there specs, i have hade great luck with it good luck.I also run a oil pump that filters the oil as well as dumps the oil on top of the gears for better lubrication.Redline heavy duty shock proof oil. :think:

I just picked my brand new sandrail up yesterday. It has a 2D in it and the builder says he put Synergyn in mine and uses the same in his pre-runner. He swears by it. Anyone using this stuff, where do you get it, and any problems you've had with it?

As for the seals leaking...if the tranny builders used the right sealer they wont leak with synthetic in them.

Tim I dont understand why he would state such a thing??

Any synthetic is good but if you change it often enough regular Valvoline is fine.

I dont know why either Bert, But Jeff Feilds has been building these trannies for a long long time. He built mine so Im going with what he recommends,