Painting Plastics on a Quad

dreamrr

I am considering painting the plastics on my YFZ450 to match my sandrail. Do you think the paint will crack and chip while riding? The wind blows the plastics around and the sand blasts them too. I don't want to spend a whole bunch of money when the paint will only last a few trips to the dunes. Has anyone had any experience with painting plastics?

I am considering painting the plastics on my YFZ450 to match my sandrail. Do you think the paint will crack and chip while riding? The wind blows the plastics around and the sand blasts them too. I don't want to spend a whole bunch of money when the paint will only last a few trips to the dunes. Has anyone had any experience with painting plastics?

You need to use a plastic adhesion promotor...it will stick but wont last..( I painted for 14 years never got quad pieces to last) unless it just sits on display and is never ridden :DDRrocks:

I will have to say that atv plastic CAN be painted and hold up well......... WHEN DONE RIGHT!

A few years ago I painted the plastic on my shee.... I rolled the bike down a hill and landed on some hard pack dirt/gravel. It hit so hard that it actually tore the plastic and the paint did NOT peal off. I decided to do a face lift on my shee a few years later and this time painted a set of full bore. That was done in late 2003 and is NOT a trailer queen.

second paint scheme back in 1999

mpbike.jpg

Back from a ride in Pa in coal country

coalfest2.JPG

Link to just after it was finished this last time (sorry to those on 56k)

http://www.roostfest.net/old/images/mybans...shed1%20013.jpg

finished%20038.jpg

finished%20025.jpg

I will have to say that atv plastic CAN be painted and hold up well......... WHEN DONE RIGHT!

A few years ago I painted the plastic on my shee.... I rolled the bike down a hill and landed on some hard pack dirt/gravel. It hit so hard that it actually tore the plastic and the paint did NOT peal off. I decided to do a face lift on my shee a few years later and this time painted a set of full bore. That was done in late 2003 and is NOT a trailer queen.

second paint scheme back in 1999

mpbike.jpg

Back from a ride in Pa in coal country

coalfest2.JPG

Link to just after it was finished this last time (sorry to those on 56k)

http://www.roostfest.net/old/images/mybans...shed1%20013.jpg

finished%20038.jpg

finished%20025.jpg

Hey walt how do you know so much about paint??? :beercheers: j/k i have done mine before too and has held up but was just saying that dont expect it to stay perfect

Ed;

I got muhself one of those wagner power sprayers.......... started with some water colors.... I never really liked spray cans since they like to package runs and dirt in the cans. They dont tell ya that though when ya buy it either! ugh!

Ed;

I got muhself one of those wagner power sprayers.......... started with some water colors.... I never really liked spray cans since they like to package runs and dirt in the cans. They dont tell ya that though when ya buy it either! ugh!

:coocoo::dunno::blury: