Dual Sway or Single Sway?

Kitcat

We have a single sway bar on our hitch. How many of you have a dual sway and have seen a difference? Is it worth the investment? We've done fine so far, but we do get sucked in, when big semi's pass us on the 15 fwy. We also noticed yesterday that the wind picked up on the Baker grade north on the 15. We just slow down until we feel comfortable. I was just wondering if the dual sway would be worth putting on the hitch.

:D

I haven't ran any sway control and haven't had any problems and I have one of the biggest tag trailers out there. :offtopic:

normal_1_(5).JPG

I would say just one would be sufficient if you were condiering one though. :laughing:

How big of a trailer is it?

I haven't ran any sway control and haven't had any problems and I have one of the biggest tag trailers out there. :offtopic:

normal_1_(5).JPG

I would say just one would be sufficient if you were condiering one though. :laughing:

How big of a trailer is it?

It's 30 feet with 3 axles. We normally put our 2 quads in the trailer, but yesterday we just had the one, since we sold the Yamaha 660 in Dumont. It was kind of windy yesterday, too. This may sound like a dumb question, but does having the double sway control help much, when semi's pass you or in the wind? Our friends that have tow behinds said they feel the same thing and they have one sway control. I just thought I'd get an honest opinion from you all on this.

:dunno:

Edited by Kitcat

I have a 31' tow behind with triple axles and I run a double Sway-Away system. The cost is negligible when compared to an overturned trailer in the middle of the freeway. Basically for me, the whole way to Dumont or Glamis is freeway driving or freeway speeds. I probably don't need a double set-up, but the hitch was made for it and I went that way.

I pull the same trailer as Pete and use the single setup one. If I dont have the buggy in there which is heavy in the rear then I wouldn't need one.

Yeah, we were pretty light yesterday with just one quad and we had it just over the axles.

I have a single sway system on mine. Wife got freaked on a windy day and had the trailer packed tail heavy. :laughoff: Needless to say, some moving around some toys to change the weight distribution and the sway controller has made a hell of a difference. Have never driven w/o the controller since. Keeps the wife happy! :laughoff:

Don't forget about the tow vehicle as well!! A high load range tire (like E) has a stiff sidewall and can help control sway. Some of the "All-Terrain" tires found on lifted trucks have a weaker sidewall to make going over obstacles easier as the sidewall has more give. Weaker sidewalls can allow the tires to flex side to side in a minor sway situation and can cause the sway to get worse. (trailer life magazine had an article on this subject)

With all the money you have spent on truck, trailer, & toys, anything you do to make the trip safer is money well spent BEFORE you have a problem. :mischevious:

remember to disconnect your sway control AND weight distribution bars BEFORE going off-road, even on the dirt road into dumont.

I have seen the weight dist. bars BEND a zieman chassis in the front going off-road before

Yeah, we do that. And we take it off, when we back up the rig.

I have a single sway system on mine. Wife got freaked on a windy day and had the trailer packed tail heavy. :driver: Needless to say, some moving around some toys to change the weight distribution and the sway controller has made a hell of a difference. Have never driven w/o the controller since. Keeps the wife happy! :dunno:

Don't forget about the tow vehicle as well!! A high load range tire (like E) has a stiff sidewall and can help control sway. Some of the "All-Terrain" tires found on lifted trucks have a weaker sidewall to make going over obstacles easier as the sidewall has more give. Weaker sidewalls can allow the tires to flex side to side in a minor sway situation and can cause the sway to get worse. (trailer life magazine had an article on this subject)

With all the money you have spent on truck, trailer, & toys, anything you do to make the trip safer is money well spent BEFORE you have a problem. :thumbsdown:

Yeah, our truck is lifted, but we have E rated tires. My cousins got new tires a while back and although they were supposedly E rated, they didn't work very well (I'm not sure what brand they were). We were on or way to Pismo and they almost turned around because the trailer was all over the place.

I have a 30' Trailer and a Long Travel Rail. I just put on the extra sway control and it made a night and day difference. It is well worth the 25 dollars JMHO

It's only $25? Wow - I thought it was more than that. We have to take our rig to Cal's to get the shower fixed, so I'll see what's entailed with getting the 2nd sway control. It might just give me peace of mind, if anything!!!

Thanks! :D

Edited by Kitcat

It's only $25? Wow - I thought it was more than that. We have to take our rig to Cal's to get the shower fixed, so I'll see what's entailed with getting the 2nd sway control. It might just give me peace of mind, if anything!!!

Thanks! :D

they might charge you more there to put it on because of labor rates. If that is the case just call woolworth motorsports and have them put it on he did mine (tell them "hay-mess" sent you)

they might charge you more there to put it on because of labor rates. If that is the case just call woolworth motorsports and have them put it on he did mine (tell them "hay-mess" sent you)

Very cool - thanks!!! :mc_smiley:

It's 30 feet with 3 axles. We normally put our 2 quads in the trailer, but yesterday we just had the one, since we sold the Yamaha 660 in Dumont. It was kind of windy yesterday, too. This may sound like a dumb question, but does having the double sway control help much, when semi's pass you or in the wind? Our friends that have tow behinds said they feel the same thing and they have one sway control. I just thought I'd get an honest opinion from you all on this.

:mc_smiley:

#1 should have bought a 5th wheel (no swaying) #2 should have bought a Chevy w/ D max and no semi's passing you! Ha! Ha!

Edited by rednekoki

as i've heard anything over 25 ft should use double sway control. we use one and it makes a world of diff than not using one at all . :mic:

then how do you explain my situation? Oh yeah...it must be my badass tow vehicle :rockwoot:

Seriously though, with the E rated 18's I have on my truck there is very little sidewall flex. Being a 1 ton also helps too.

got to admit with dunefreaks setup the only time i ever saw it sway was when it was REAL a$$ heavy with my samurai behind the axles.. then it got a little sway goin on other than that on a normal trip to the dunes it tows just fine! :D Then again.. 1 ton LONG BED E rated tires all play a part in this equation too. :D

#1 should have bought a 5th wheel (no swaying) #2 should have bought a Chevy w/ D max and no semi's passing you! Ha! Ha!

UH... 5th wheels & lifted trucks don't always mix well together! Dodge Cummins is still the way to go! :jester: