egt temps

raptoroy

Hey guys

I have 03 duramax with 4in exhaust, K&N air filter, and Hypertech programmer and if i tow it on stock or hypertech level 3 it will still go over 1300 . So I thought something might be wrong with my truck. So we put an EGT gauge on my friends bone stock 06 , he pulls a thirty foot toy hauler and I tow a thirty four foot toyhauler. We went out Las Vegas Blvd on the way to Coral Pink Utah , got on at Apex , by the time we got up that little grade they were both over 1300, my question is, if his didn't have the gauge and all other temps were in line he would have just kept going like he has since he bought the truck and hasn't had any issues .I still drive mine by my pyro, he just drove his like he always has and said at times it was over 1350 - 1400 for periods of time on some of the grades but had no problems. He feels its under warranty so he doesn't care. Has anybody had failure of one of these turbos because of heat . Both our EGT gauges are in the exhaust manifold like the gauges recommend. Is there any suggestions on how to get the EGT down? Thanks

Roy I haven't replaced a turbo yet (at work) due to a failure from heat. (actually I have only changed one once due to a mis-diagnosis by someone else, lol) I think that is crazy considering how many "over programmed" DMaxes are out there. :rockon::beerpint:

I have an 05 Duramax, Hypertech on level 2, AFE intake, and Banks cat back exhaust. I leave mine on level 2 no matter what, whether I am driving to work or towing the hauler. I tow my 34 ft toyhauler (probably 13000-14000 lbs loaded) by the pyro. I can bury the needle past 1600 if I wanted to. (but I never do) Once my my EGT's reach around 1400/1450 degrees on the big grades then I back out and keep them from going higher and it still pulls good. I usually keep them there and haven't had any problems at all. Many diesel guys have told me that 1400-1450 is just fine especially for semi short periods of time. I had some guy even tell me on dieselplace.com that he has run 1400+ degrees for 15 minutes straight with no problems. I wouldn't push it that high for that LONG, but you are safe below 1450 in shorter spurts. You gotta remember turbo temps are gonna be a couple hundred degrees LOWER than your manifold temp. Also: :rockon: Hope that helps. :D:laughing:

thanks Pete. I weighed my set up on the way back from Coral pink with quarter of a tank of gas in the truck my rail and two quads in the trailer. a quad and a motorcycle in the truck no water or waste and the whole unit weight was steer axle : 3900

drive axle : 6620

Trailer axles : 12780

gross : 23300

thanks Pete. I weighed my set up on the way back from Coral pink with quarter of a tank of gas in the truck my rail and two quads in the trailer. a quad and a motorcycle in the truck no water or waste and the whole unit weight was steer axle : 3900

drive axle : 6620

Trailer axles : 12780

gross : 23300

:beerpint::laughing:

Damn that means your trailer loaded the way you had weighed approximately 16500 lbs! :rockon: :rockon:

What kind of trailer do you have again?

My dually didn't come with one. I didn't know if a bigger inner cooler would help

really? Damn... mine did. :laughing:

I wouldn't spend the extra money on a bigger intercooler. You don't really have an EGT problem in my opinion. Besides I have read that a bigger intercooler (ie: the Banks intercooler) doesn't lower your EGT's any.

Read this thread...

http://dieselplace.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90652

i have a weekend warrior and the sticker said 10,000

GVWR? or dry weight?

If that is your GVWR you may want to rethink all that weight you put in it. :beerpint::laughing: Or say screw it like all the rest of us do. Just about EVERYONE is overweight when it comes to their toyhaulers. :rockon:

no that's dry it says 13,000 gvwr but still overloaded. Hopefully i never get pulled over and weighted my truck says 23,500. O well we must go to the dunes . never thought i would need a 34 foot toyhauler to go play at the dunes. i remember when a flat bed was great .

• 2 weeks later...

to lower your egt, you need more air or less fuel. More boost cools the egt down. Im not sure how its controlled on a d max, I drive a cummins. Real improvements in intercoolng will reduce egts but a intercooler change isnt enough. I run three intercoolers, and it helped. The easy solution was more boost. I tow by the egt, and boost. I try not to run over 40 psi on a hill simply becasue it sucks to blow a hose off and have to stop and fix it. I can run as much as 60 psi or so. Most hills are 35 psi 1200-1250 egt running at 66 mph @ 25500 lbs in 5th gear.

My trucj has no cat. Bigger exhuast / less restrictive will also reduce the egt slightly. Some guys run straight pipes, or very large. I run a 5 inch to my exhuast brake which reduces to 4 inch, so its 4 from there out.

A cai can also slightly reduce it.

Ive run 1350 degrees for 14 hrs straight before (before the twins) and it makes you nervious. I d pull hills up to 1400, and run along at 1350-1375 for ever pulling a tad over 30000 lbs.

Hey Pete, Will removing the cat on ourr Dmaxs cause codes in the computer? I was told it would from a custom car shop. So i just straight piped my muffler and left the cat on.

Hey Pete, Will removing the cat on ourr Dmaxs cause codes in the computer? I was told it would from a custom car shop. So i just straight piped my muffler and left the cat on.

Yes sometimes. It will kick EGR codes. I am not sure if there is an update to fix that yet though. There MAY be a reflash but I'm not sure. They definitely had problems with that when they first came out. I haven't seen many recently though. You'd have to ask Jim. :laughing:

There are some resisters you can put inline with the obd sensor if memory serves me right i believe they called it "the Sticks" mod?? it was used to trick the computer and not throw codes for not having a cat.

There are some resisters you can put inline with the obd sensor if memory serves me right i believe they called it "the Sticks" mod?? it was used to trick the computer and not throw codes for not having a cat.

Nick, does your memory EVER serve you right? :laughoff::headbang1:

when you have nothing better to do than sit and read the internet from one side to the other about useless sh*t your never gonna need ever again then Nope it never serves me right... but im pretty sure thats what that mod was called and how it was achieved :D

• 1 month later...

Oh and the best way to lower your EGT's (from what I have heard) is to ditch your cat. converter. I haven't done that yet on mine because it's not necessarily "legal" in Nevada. :coocoo:

it's not here in Ca either

as a matter of fact a friend of mine on the chp force told me that they are now "visually" inspecting all CA light duty (ford/GM/Dodge 2500-4500) for cats, when/if they get pulled over for a moving violation. 1000 dollar fine for not having one. IF a shop gets caught taking one off, its a 10,000 dollar fine.........

what is in the cat anyhow? couldn't one just take it off, hollow it out, and put it back on???

Edited by RICHARDCHEESE

Roy,

I have been having the same concerns as you and now that I bought a bigger trailer ( and a lot heavier) I did some research to find the best solution for me. I run up to 1400 on hills and have been told that its ok that high for a short time (that came from edge). Talked to edge about an aftermarket intercooler and they said they have done two of them and saw no drop in egt.

My solution: Water/Meth injection. drops egt @200. only use it when you want and easy install. and if your not looking to get hp increase out of it then you can run it 80/20 (80% water) which is blue -20 deg windshield washer fluid. So its cheap to buy. If you want more hp then you can run a mixture of 50/50 but then you got to mix it yourself.

Sun Performance

Mike

Edited by YamaKiller

• 3 weeks later...

Oh and the best way to lower your EGT's (from what I have heard) is to ditch your cat. converter. I haven't done that yet on mine because it's not necessarily "legal" in Nevada. :thumbsdown:

i have read that a good way to lower your egt's is to actaully add fuel. thats will help.

to lower your egt, you need more air or less fuel. More boost cools the egt down. Im not sure how its controlled on a d max, I drive a cummins. Real improvements in intercoolng will reduce egts but a intercooler change isnt enough. I run three intercoolers, and it helped. The easy solution was more boost. I tow by the egt, and boost. I try not to run over 40 psi on a hill simply becasue it sucks to blow a hose off and have to stop and fix it. I can run as much as 60 psi or so. Most hills are 35 psi 1200-1250 egt running at 66 mph @ 25500 lbs in 5th gear.

My trucj has no cat. Bigger exhuast / less restrictive will also reduce the egt slightly. Some guys run straight pipes, or very large. I run a 5 inch to my exhuast brake which reduces to 4 inch, so its 4 from there out.

A cai can also slightly reduce it.

Ive run 1350 degrees for 14 hrs straight before (before the twins) and it makes you nervious. I d pull hills up to 1400, and run along at 1350-1375 for ever pulling a tad over 30000 lbs.

depending on what dmax you have you can only run a certain amount of boost. i have an lly 05 dmax and if you go over 32 psi of boost then you are actually loosing power. not the other dmax turbo's are diff.

anything over 1500 is bad for the motor if its for long periods of time

i took mine cat off and took a rock bar and broke all the guts out and then reinstalled it so it looks like its still there. muahahaha aint got nuthin on me lol.

when you have nothing better to do than sit and read the internet from one side to the other about useless sh*t your never gonna need ever again then Nope it never serves me right... but im pretty sure thats what that mod was called and how it was achieved :D

finger stick you can find them on kenedy diesel i think. if not dieselplace.com you will find them there. i have 1 on mine and yes it is a resistor of some type. just lug and play.

Capt

Edited by CaptNkllm

I think you read wrong :thumbsdown:

copied from another site

Quote:

Originally Posted by dynarex

little bit more-but not too bad-egt dropped almost 100 around 2500rpm

thats worth it-so now with lower egt timing can be backed off to save cylinder pressures and pistons

or you could add more fuel

either way cool find!

so i dont think i am wrong.

Capt

copied from another site

Quote:

Originally Posted by dynarex

little bit more-but not too bad-egt dropped almost 100 around 2500rpm

thats worth it-so now with lower egt timing can be backed off to save cylinder pressures and pistons

or you could add more fuel

either way cool find!

so i dont think i am wrong.

Capt

This is how I read that statement:

With having lower EGT after whatever he did, he was ABLE to add more fuel because his EGT's were low enough to allow for more fuel. I don't know the whole conversation or where that is copied from, but from that quote right there, that's what it sounds like he meant.

Usually if you add fuel, you aren't gonna lower your egt's. More fuel or timing usually means more heat.

:thumbsdown:

This is how I read that statement:

With having lower EGT after whatever he did, he was ABLE to add more fuel because his EGT's were low enough to allow for more fuel. I don't know the whole conversation or where that is copied from, but from that quote right there, that's what it sounds like he meant.

Usually if you add fuel, you aren't gonna lower your egt's. More fuel or timing usually means more heat.

:thumbsdown:

TOP SECRET FORUM lol

1 question in theory

unburned fuel = heat?

mcratracing.com buy the efi live from him and u get in the other forum(might not have to buy it to get in but i did not knowing there was another topic area).. good stuff in there i like it as much as thedieselplace.com

and he will help with anything on you truck great guy and great family there.

CApt