Leading Etiquette!!

EY3BA11

Look people... THIS is why i harp on the leaders in a few of the groups i ride with... Some of you know who you are... Lets just go on a ride and not pay any attention to how many are in the group or if we even have a group anymore you just keep riding... I always try to pick a line and look over my shoulder as much as possible and make sure i see the last person in the group.. hell i will even go around the same bowl 2 or three times till they catch up and continue on... but read this article and you will see HOW important it is to keep a eye on the group you are leading... ONLY LEAD AS FAST AS YOUR SLOWEST RIDER!!!!!

Read This

so true nick i totally agree my buddy and i have ben riding the desert for almost 20 years togther and no matter whos in front we always keep track of the other person or persons. even when we have ridden in a pack i try to keep any eye out for the riders behind me i had a rider once ask me "what you dont think i can keep up with you" no dumb a$$ i replied just making sure everybody stays together

I Agree, well said,,, good point.

It also amazes me how many parents leave their kids behind.

It's easy to loose a kid behind a dune if youre napping while ridin',, so I try to be the last kids wingman. (YFZ 450's can lug and go slow very well,, all day long if need be)

Ya can always circle a few bowls in a holding pattern while the group catches up and re aligns.,,

I have to put the camp/ tow vehicle together and am responsible for everyone in our group making it home,, so I tend to take fewer risks over razors and a few other manuevers,, thus slowing me down at times, and I need to eventually catch up.

Had a friend once decide to take a brutal jump,,, broke a Femur and a colar bone,, so in addition to getting my stuff dialed in and home,, I helped get his stuff/family ect ect too,, costing me a day off from work, gas and hassle.

Not griping mind ya,, but my point is,, some of us ride slower to less the chance of injury,, because we have responsibilities to others. and I'll admit too that some of the riders are either crazier,, or better than me, probably both, not sure yet,,, but they're willing to take risks of injury some of us can't afford to.

Good thread,, good points

Edited by Dime Store Hood

Lately since everyone hates riding behind me i bring up the rear of the pack and im glad i have in the past... there was one ride where a youngster on a 250 stalled it at the top of this STEEEEEEEEP a$$ dune and everyone kept on riding cept for me...

I got back to camp and everyone was like we are missing 1 person wtf... they forgot about the big fat guy... see how much they were paying attention to who was where in camp..

I agree that when on a group ride every body should be responsible for the group not just the leader. When I'm riding in a group I try to watch whose in front of me and who is right behind me.

Don you and your brothers are pretty good with riding with the pack.I like to ride with you Don and answer/ignore millions of useless questions from that drunk guy sittin behind you :drunk: -remember him?!Did he ever shut up!? :finger: Anyways good drivin from the tres hermanos! :laughing:

I agree that when on a group ride every body should be responsible for the group not just the leader. When I'm riding in a group I try to watch whose in front of me and who is right behind me.

I do the same....the wink mirror in my rail is very handy for that.

Since all of my buddies are on quads I usually pull up the rear....(it allows me to leave some room if I need to take a run at something) and of course there are times I have to wait for someone who doesn't make it over or up the dune. It's all good.....however, sad article, but very good points to heed. Thanks for sharing.

• 2 years later...

Man I love this kind of thread. I've been riding since '78.

The best way to ride in a group is to have a leader that knows the capabilities of the other riders and be the best rider out of the group. The people behind the leader should know what position they are and who is in front of them and who is behind them. if you are #2, you should only have to worry about who is in 3rd, 3rd should only have to worry about 4th and so on. You always want to keep the best riders up front except for the rider who is as good as the leader and that person should be bringing up the rear.

There is a method to my madness. If both the leader and the one in the rear are great riders and something happens, they can get from point A to point B the fastest. They are usually the ones with the most experience and can handle different situations that may arise. They also need to be able to pick the best lines which is something you gain from experience.

The reason for having the better riders up towards the front is once again an experience issue. They should know to look back every 30 seconds or so (depending on how fast your group is able to ride) and make sure that the person that was behind them is still there. If they are not, STOP< STOP< STOP!!!!! Do not ride back and go look for the person that was behind you. If you do, you risk losing the people that are in front of you.

Scenarios: Rider 5 out of 6 gets stuck on a hill. Rider 6 should stop next to rider 5 (preferably at the top of the hill). When rider 4 notices that rider 5 and 6 are missing, he stops. Rider 3 sees 4 has stopped and he stops and so forth. When the leader looks back, he will see a "breadcrumb trail" of riders and can jam back collecting his breadcrumbs as he goes until they all come across the problem.

Rider 1 (the leader) is looking back to see his group and rolls into a fire pit and crashes. All the other riders can see it happen laugh and then tend to the medical needs of their leader.

Going back to the 1st scenario, riders 2-4 jam back to see what happned to riders 5 and 6. The leader is suddenly left on his own and doesn't know where everybody has gone (been there, done that at night in the dunes) it sucks.

The other reason for having the better riders up front is to keep the momentum going. If your behind a weaker rider you tend to get bored and stuck real easy and that sucks the fun out of group riding.

The leader should count his flock every so often and make sure that he can see the last rider in his group before a change in direction. Also count your flock before and after each ride and during stops.

Last but not least, when you are passing riders coming towards your group, the leader should always show the person coming towards them a finger count of how many riders are behind them, if they 5 or more just show 5 fingers (one hand) Do not take both hands off the handle bars :laughoff: Each person behind the leader should show how many are left and the last rider should just give a nod saying thanks. This tactic will keep somebody from running into a rider in your group.

Leading and bringing up the rear is an art. A skill of extreme sorts and should be treated as such. Remember as the leader and the person in the rear, you are responsible for the lives and fun of those caught in between. :laughoff:

well nick, when i rode with you, you turn into harry f*cking whodini :laughoff::laughoff:

its like.. "where'd nick go?"

where'd WHO go?

:laughoff:

and then we saw you again, you looked right at us, then roosted off!!

ummm...id try a shower...so not to run off your riding buddies :laughoff::lol:

well nick, when i rode with you, you turn into harry f*cking whodini :laughoff::laughoff:

its like.. "where'd nick go?"

where'd WHO go?

:laughoff:

and then we saw you again, you looked right at us, then roosted off!!

I was also bringing up the back of the pack until you guys got mixxed in a big crowd in that bowl... I knew the direction everyone was heading so i slowly made my way that direction looking for you guys and signs of someone in trouble... Plus i knew with dunefreak and stalteri you guys were in good hands and we all know where we are headed ( for the most part ) I felt it was safter for me to slowly stroll off to the north pole and wait it out instead of everyone running back and forth looking for each other all damn day..

I was also bringing up the back of the pack until you guys got mixxed in a big crowd in that bowl... I knew the direction everyone was heading so i slowly made my way that direction looking for you guys and signs of someone in trouble... Plus i knew with dunefreak and stalteri you guys were in good hands and we all know where we are headed ( for the most part ) I felt it was safter for me to slowly stroll off to the north pole and wait it out instead of everyone running back and forth looking for each other all damn day..

its all good Nick..just effen with ya :D

it was cool you knew to head out to the north pole!!!!

MA FACKA!!! :laughoff::laughoff::laughoff::laughoff: