Motor is out!

dunefreak

Well as some of you might know...2nd gear has gone south in my sandrail. It has gone from chattering to finally popping out of gear completely when under hard accel. I have heard that 2nd gear is the weakest point of a Hayabusa. :laughoff: Go figure. It's not that 2nd gear is used a bunch while driving (I mainly use 4-5th), but it DOES get pretty hammered on when hill shooting or when trying to get momentum when you start on a steep hill. So now I am crossing my fingers that parts will be available. I have been told that there is a national shortage for Busa trans parts right now. :beerpint: Not good...considering the clean-up weekend is in about two weeks! :laughoff: I really hope to have my car out on that weekend. The motor/ trans assembly is going over to Scott @ Heads Up performance tomorrow AM. Wish me luck :laughoff:

pulling the motor today..

post-3-1141264632_thumb.jpg

post-3-1141264713_thumb.jpg

post-3-1141264768_thumb.jpg

Hard to imagine this little thing makes almost 200 horse :laughoff:

post-3-1141264803_thumb.jpg

post-3-1141264839_thumb.jpg

you need to bust out the power washer and go to town on that thing.. its DIRRRRRRTTTYYYYY!!! hahah

Yeah I know...that's what over 2 years in the car will do to it. :laughoff: Besides I am washing it down at work tomorrow before I bring it in. I have brake cleaner hooked up to 120 psi! I call it "brake cleaner on steroids!" :laughoff::beerpint::laughoff:

Maybe you can find another motor for a good price and that way you can have a spare.

I have...Justintime (Ross w/ the orange buggy) has one for $500 :laughing: , but I am still waiting for it. If that one pops up before this one is done, then I'll slam that one in. :laughoff: Otherwise I ain't spending 3G's fo nothin. That's about what they go for on ebay. :laughing:

Your right Pete, that definately looks like more fun than the lake? :laughing:

well Travis... if I get the trans fixed then I will have the car ready for the cleanup weekend, then thats when the fun begins :laughing:

We could all never have as much fun as you now could we...... :laughoff: ....... :laughoff:

well Travis... if I get the trans fixed then I will have the car ready for the cleanup weekend, then thats when the fun begins :laughing:

We could all never have as much fun as you now could we...... :laughoff: ....... :laughing:

"We could all never have as much fun as you now could we" Blah-Blah-Blah! :laughoff:

• 2 weeks later...

lol,..soon as I saw the title of this topic "second gear project", I knew it was for a busa. Your right, they are very bad with the second gear problems. I've heard of some people chryno freezing the internals and taking care of the problem.

You might want to consider regearing the sprockets so there is less load on second gear. You will loose a bit of your top end but you will still haul butt. Just an idea.....

I just bought a busa powerplant for 100 bucks. It was in a fire and all the electronics are fried, but the motor itself is still good with low miles. I'm gonna gut the motor and have all the parts cryno'd to put in my own rail. I'm gonna leave the cases empty and use the now lightened shell to mock up frames for the busa powerplant. You might want to find something silimilr so you can treat the internals to the upgrades and switch them over. The parts are pretty expensive and for 100 bucks, I really couldn't go wrong......

lol,..soon as I saw the title of this topic "second gear project", I knew it was for a busa. Your right, they are very bad with the second gear problems. I've heard of some people chryno freezing the internals and taking care of the problem.

You might want to consider regearing the sprockets so there is less load on second gear. You will loose a bit of your top end but you will still haul butt. Just an idea.....

I just bought a busa powerplant for 100 bucks. It was in a fire and all the electronics are fried, but the motor itself is still good with low miles. I'm gonna gut the motor and have all the parts cryno'd to put in my own rail. I'm gonna leave the cases empty and use the now lightened shell to mock up frames for the busa powerplant. You might want to find something silimilr so you can treat the internals to the upgrades and switch them over. The parts are pretty expensive and for 100 bucks, I really couldn't go wrong......

Right on, good ideas Yoshi. :flipoff:

My car right now is geared pretty low and the trans held up for over 2 years of pretty hard driving. Scott @ Heads Up here in town is putting in some decent gears that have been shot piened and have also been back-cut or "undercut". He swears by them and really knows his sh*t as he builds drag bikes and Busas for many mini-rails now. Hopefully it holds up well. I guess we'll see though.

I am going in about an hour actually to look at a wrecked 01 Busa that I might be able to pickup for around $500 or so. I think it's some pretty cheap insurance. Hopefully I can snatch it up for a spare motor/trans. I'm crossing my fingers....wish me luck. :laughoff:

It never hurts to have a backup. When the money is there, I will have a backup motor in the trailer so there will be no lost weekends due to powerplant issues. I also keep extra airbags, heims, a-arms, control arms, and bearing on hand. Suspension components are easy to build so it's no big deal having them on hand. Good luck with the motor, i'm sure it will handle any abuse you throw it's way. What ratio are you running in the rear end and what's the rails total weight?

What ratio are you running in the rear end and what's the rails total weight?

I believe the front sprocket is stock and the rear is a 64 tooth. I haven't weighed my car, but I have been told it weighs about 750 lbs.

You pretty happy with the air filter your using? I was gonna run my current airbox into another box with a K@N filter or foam filter attached.

Yeah I haven't had any complaints with mine. It's the foam flter w/ an outerwear. (no airbox) It has a little lean pop on throttle snap before it warms up, but i'ts just fine once it is warm. I have been told the power commander eliminates this, but I can live w/ it.

• 2 weeks later...

Got the motor back on Tuesday and finally got it in. :D I still have a few things more to do like hook up fuel lines, clean the air filter, hook up the throttle bodies and some misc connectors, but it's almost there! :blury:

I ended up needing a bunch more parts than I excpected: main input shaft, 3 gears, 3 shifts forks, timing chain tensioner, and new front sprocket too. :rockwoot: I ended up spending a little more than expected, but everything should be in top notch shape now- that's all that matters to me. :D I also had Scott pull the cams out and adj the valves and throw in some new plugs while he had it. They were getting a lil tight. She should be ready to go by next weekend. :rockwoot:

:woo_hoo:

going back in.....

post-3-1143333919_thumb.jpg

post-3-1143333967_thumb.jpg

post-3-1143333992_thumb.jpg

post-3-1143334016_thumb.jpg

Looks like she'll be good to go. The little red screamer is back in action.

Well that's what I thought Don. I just fired it up to find out it still runs like a$$. It had a lil pop/ misfire at times before I pulled it out. I thought the valves just needed adjustment, but they were done and it still has a miss on #4 cylinder. I checked fuel, spark, etc and found out that it is low on compression on that cylinder. :laughoff::laughoff: :ph34r: I haven't checked it w/ a gauge (mine is at work), but I can feel the difference from #4 to a know good cylinder just by feel w/ my finger over the hole. So, now I have to find out why: a bent valve, cracked ring, etc. :shake: I am not a happy camper right about now. :huh: Looks like this b*tch ain't gonna be out for a while now. :chev_bowtie: I could put that other motor in whenever I pick it up, we'll have to see though. :puke:

I have a head that is ready to go if its a valve.

If its a head gasket , its easy.....even if its a pistons, just get a set of stock pistons and the matching block and its an easy swap.

ps. I m lookimng for a busa case.....I need to start building my turbo moter. I have a 1397 nitrous busa.