Issues with fiberglass siding

Kitcat

My hubby and I went down to run our gen recently and noticed our rig's fiberglass siding is no longer smooth down the sides. You can see where the fiberglass is wavy or buckled around the aluminum frame. I'm not sure if this is normal and happened when it was 115 degrees here in Vegas. We store it in at an expensive place where 3 sides are covered and the one side that is exposed faces east, so it only gets a little morning sun. It's a new Raptor we bought in January. We haven't taken it in yet, but will before the warranty is up.

My hubby and I went down to run our gen recently and noticed our rig's fiberglass siding is no longer smooth down the sides. You can see where the fiberglass is wavy or buckled around the aluminum frame. I'm not sure if this is normal and happened when it was 115 degrees here in Vegas. We store it in at an expensive place where 3 sides are covered and the one side that is exposed faces east, so it only gets a little morning sun. It's a new Raptor we bought in January. We haven't taken it in yet, but will before the warranty is up.

i have a raptor also and mine is buckled all over the bottom portion (panels)

under the 5er hitch its warping and seperating. raptor warranty department hasnt been very good so far to say the least. other stuff that has broke i just fixed myself. 3 to 4 weeks in a shop and cant even replace a fuse cover couse raptor sends the wrong 1 everytime. pffft :laughoff:

good luck!!

Capt

could it be delamination? fleetwood had problems with delam a couple years ago, due to imperfections introduced during the sealing process....caused a lot of problems for them

could you guys get pics and post them up? maybe we could see if it is delamination or not

http://www.trailerlife.com/cforum/index.cf.../pging/1/page/1

Edited by richard cheese

could it be delamination? fleetwood had problems with delam a couple years ago, due to imperfections introduced during the sealing process....caused a lot of problems for them

could you guys get pics and post them up? maybe we could see if it is delamination or not

mine is on the metal below the fibeglass so delam isnt the problem bad design is what mine is

Capt

I'll have to take pics the next time we're at the storage unit.

thanks! :thumb:

• 1 month later...

We took our rig out for Halloween and noticed the warp problem was worse. Contacted the dealer and went to storage to take pictures. When I brought the pics in on a CD today, the service dept was amazed at how bad it was - said it's the worst they've seen yet. So, they said it would most likely go to Oregon, which is better than Indiana. So, hopefully they can get it fixed quickly.

:beercheers::beercheers: :beer_bang:

post-1635-1195176030_thumb.jpg

post-1635-1195176046_thumb.jpg

post-1635-1195176062_thumb.jpg

post-1635-1195176077_thumb.jpg

We took our rig out for Halloween and noticed the warp problem was worse. Contacted the dealer and went to storage to take pictures. When I brought the pics in on a CD today, the service dept was amazed at how bad it was - said it's the worst they've seen yet. So, they said it would most likely go to Oregon, which is better than Indiana. So, hopefully they can get it fixed quickly.

:beercheers::beercheers: :beer_bang:

WOW!! I need to double check mine as soon as i get it back (in for service).

Capt

WTF that is BAD :worthless_without_pics: :unsure:

Id be like :rant_on: but if they fix I guess thats a plus

Sorry you guys have to go thru that.....

Yeah, I asked them if they could provide a loaner (used) rv to us, while ours was at the factory. They said no, but if it gets close to New Years or better yet, President's Day, the pressure will be ON!!!

:Imma_throwup:

Eff that. RV repairs are famous for taking three times longer than they quote you. I would wait until the end of the season.

Problem with that is that our year is up in January. Plus, we dropped off the rig yesterday. It was the only day we could do it within the next couple weeks. We sacraficed a riding day to do it! :(

Someone else had the same issue on the same unit. They said it took about a month to fix. We'll see.

Problem with that is that our year is up in January. Plus, we dropped off the rig yesterday. It was the only day we could do it within the next couple weeks. We sacraficed a riding day to do it! :(

Someone else had the same issue on the same unit. They said it took about a month to fix. We'll see.

That sucks!!!! We'll see you at clean up!!!! :laughing:

it looks to me as if they forgot to put something in during the sealing process or something

your freekin rig looks like a sucked up ethiopian

:laughoff:

something is def not right. take those pics over to rv.net in the toyhauler forum and post them. see what a couple of the raptor gurus have to say about that.

also, a neighbor has an 05 or 06 raptor, and has issues with his axles. he goes through tires every year...check your tire wear

one would think that for 50K + for a rig, your getting a pretty solid piece of equipment :laughoff:

it looks to me as if they forgot to put something in during the sealing process or something

your freekin rig looks like a sucked up ethiopian

:bs:

something is def not right. take those pics over to rv.net in the toyhauler forum and post them. see what a couple of the raptor gurus have to say about that.

also, a neighbor has an 05 or 06 raptor, and has issues with his axles. he goes through tires every year...check your tire wear

one would think that for 50K + for a rig, your getting a pretty solid piece of equipment :laughoff:

Yeah, we're pretty bummed, esp since it's dune season. I wish we noticed this back in August. It really didn't start showing until October and now it's gotten way worse! :blury:

Thanks for the info on the tires. I'll have the dealership check this out. At least they agreed with me about how bad the siding looks and how the manufacturer needs to fix it.

I haven't been to rv.net in a long time. I'll do some surfing over there too!

that's why i'm not fond of fiberglass sides . show to many early friday problems . :laughoff:

Keystone supposedly has a new fiberglass product that they're using that doesn't have the criss crosses, it really smooth. My concern is that we'll get it fixed and what happens if the new siding has the same issues? Cal's has had 3 Raptors in addition to ours that have had the same issues. And it's not like the thing was cheap either! We debated over the Weekend Warrior and the Raptor. Our decision was made over the dealerships because both products were nice. Just hope the dealership works with us to get this fixed ASAP!

that's why i'm not fond of fiberglass sides . show to many early friday problems . :blury:

I see and hear of way more issues with the alluminum (corrugated type) siding pulling apart. :laughoff: This is the first issue I have ever seen with the fiberglass sides. :bs:

Alum and gelcoat/fiberglass sides stink. Lets face it, all toyhaulers stink. They design and build them like match boxes. Then we load them with thousands of pounds of crap and drag them out in the desert so they rattle apart!!!! Kind of like a $50k garbage can!!! ok, done ranting.....back on topic!! :beercheers:

Keystone supposedly has a new fiberglass product that they're using that doesn't have the criss crosses, it really smooth. My concern is that we'll get it fixed and what happens if the new siding has the same issues? Cal's has had 3 Raptors in addition to ours that have had the same issues. And it's not like the thing was cheap either! We debated over the Weekend Warrior and the Raptor. Our decision was made over the dealerships because both products were nice. Just hope the dealership works with us to get this fixed ASAP!

before you drop your rig off, address the issue you bring up about it happening again in the future, when your warranty is up.

also, for future reference, you might want to get the names of the other owners in your area, and any more online, if you can, in case you get down to your trump card...a class-action lawsuit.

IIRC, Hallet, the guy that had all the delam problems with his fleetwood had all his ducks lined up like that, and the factory blinked first, and decided to fix all the rigs with the problem.

good luck, and keep us aBREAST :beercheers: of the situation

and Pete is right, the only issue I have seen with the fiberglass siding is delam

Edited by richard cheese

Most of these problems are from moisture getting in to the wall panel. Washing, rain, and condensation can all contribute. Even with aluminum framed wall panels...there is also wood. Thats how they mount cabinets, sofa seats, etc. I believe the only way to properly fix this is to replace the entire wall panel...they look to be one big piece to me! I'm not sure I would opt for that. Take a look at the roof seams and the front seam where the nose piece comes together. They usually just blob a $hitload of putty seal on the joint. This could be where the moisture has gotten inside the wall.

As far as axle probs on the Raptor...my buddy has the 5th wheel model with the garage and double slides. #1 off the assembly line. You don't want to hear his story. F U Mike Thompson!!!!