FNG needs much advise on Truck / Toyhauler without brand names

OIF 5-7

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think you might hae gotten a diffrent picture pete... the FS model im lookin at shows 20' to the first cabinet???

07fs-flpln-lg.gif

ISBB, thanks for posting that. I was just getting ready to get on the site and download it. Than I scrolled down!!

Pete, I will check out the other one, its just that Craig's buddy at work has a friend that works at Weekend Warrior and will sell one to me direct. Cant beat that deal yet.

Hey Pete,

I did look at the Sierra Sport toy haulers at DKRV. I remember those cause they had the dual entry bathroom. Nice looking trailer. However don't like the weight. I think I will stay with the WW as it has the most cargo room. And that is what I need.

Pete call me and I can give you the details. I got them to give me $9,000 off MSRP so far.

Let me know.

Back in 2000 I had a 2001 FB3000 Weekend Warrior custom built for me with all kinds of extra bells and whistles (Huge generator, 2 fuel stations, 3000 watt exterior sound system, 3000 watt interior sound system, 50 amp service, extra air conditioning, etc.etc...) which equalled a whole bunch of extra weight! I was able to carry (1) 5 seat Tatum car and (1) extended length banshee. I towed it with a 2001 Chevy HD crewcab short box 8.1 ltr V8 Allison 5 speed auto tranny, the truck had a twelve inch lift and 39" Mickey Thompson tires with 4:56 gearing. I towed all over the place, I never got stuck and it towed just fine! (Although it was not the quickest setup over the hills) I hope this information helps in your quest for a lifted tow rig and trailer!

post-195-1141866880_thumb.jpg

imho a manual tranny is the way to go. You dont have to worry about overheating it from a torque converter locking and unlocking and searching for gears. I've had 3/4 or bigger trucks from dodge, ford and chevy, all autos. Not one of those tranny's in stock form are worth crap. As far as replacing clutches in a manual tranny, don't worry about it. If you drive a manual tranny correctly you can get an easy 200k miles out of it.

JJ if you go w/ weekend warrior get on GD.com and get hooked up w/ Shawn Zang AKA Headinjury... If i were to buy a WW it would be thru him... His customer service is top notch and he can just about knock the socks off any other deal around.. :D

The biggest toyhaulers I have found with the most cargo are the weekend warriors. The FS3400 is a front sleeper with 20' to the first cabinet. Or the FB3000 is a front bath model with the same cargo area. So you would have no problem putting a 14' buggy and 2 bikes in one of those. And don't worry about towing with a lifted truck. Mine is a little overboard but it still tows fine. With a 6 inch and 35's you can easily tow a fifth wheel with flipped axles. I have to stick with the tow behind as my lift is too big. Hope this helps.

So I'm not out of my mind to want to tow a large 5th wheel w/ a 6” lift & 35's on a 1-Ton SRW?

What about the lift, do you loose the 1-Ton rating? And the 35” tires, can you get a mud terrain type tire with heavy load rating?

I’m only asking about truck questions in this forum because I’m only looking for advise from people that are towing toy haulers.

Thanks

imho a manual tranny is the way to go. You dont have to worry about overheating it from a torque converter locking and unlocking and searching for gears. I've had 3/4 or bigger trucks from dodge, ford and chevy, all autos. Not one of those tranny's in stock form are worth crap. As far as replacing clutches in a manual tranny, don't worry about it. If you drive a manual tranny correctly you can get an easy 200k miles out of it.

That's what I was thinking, you seem to be the only one supporting the manual trans idea, I wonder why more don't run one? Don't most big rigs run manual?

JJ if you go w/ weekend warrior get on GD.com and get hooked up w/ Shawn Zang AKA Headinjury... If i were to buy a WW it would be thru him... His customer service is top notch and he can just about knock the socks off any other deal around.. :D

Nick,

That is who has givin me the deal I am talking about right now. :shocked2: Nice guy to talk with too on the phone. I actually had him price out the FS3400 and the FB3000 for me. If my Craig's friend comes through and I can buy directly from WW, then I might do that instead.

Later.

So I'm not out of my mind to want to tow a large 5th wheel w/ a 6” lift & 35's on a 1-Ton SRW?

What about the lift, do you loose the 1-Ton rating? And the 35” tires, can you get a mud terrain type tire with heavy load rating?

I’m only asking about truck questions in this forum because I’m only looking for advise from people that are towing toy haulers.

Thanks

Yeah you can get the Toyo Open Country MT's with the rating you need.

Here I cut this from their spec sheet.

post-63-1141933553_thumb.jpg

Personally i wouldnt buy direct... i would go thru shawn he is about as direct as can be... he is a very cool guy and will do everything in his powers to make sure his customers are satisfied...

I know people love toyos yoyos,but I had a problem with the 16" they are squirly. my bfg`s are rated 3195 and have the same side wall as toyos,,,they tow great!!! :shocked2:

I know people love toyos yoyos,but I had a problem with the 16" they are squirly. my bfg`s are rated 3195 and have the same side wall as toyos,,,they tow great!!! :laughoff:

That was just the loose nut behind the wheel! :thumb:

Thanks

No, your not out of your mind! Yes, you can retain the same payload capacity. Give me a call if you need someone to build your truck the correct way for towing and style. Travis 702-436-6777 (The Custom Shop)

Rhino_King tows a 38' gear box w/ a slighty lifted 1 ton srw shortbed Ford... Get the bigger load range tires and your fine.. :D

Just when I was starting to think I should really get the dually and be done with it, I’m glad to hear it seems to be fine and not unsafe. I’m going for the SRW 6” lift and 35’s, cheers.

Out dam standing, I really appreciate everybody’s help on this. I can't wait to get back from this hell hole, and hook up with you guys at the dunes. The only problem is, I don’t have any big horsepower buggy, just a 1835cc duel 40 IDF normal VW suspension set up. I would much rather be on Two wheels, :thumb: the buggy is for my wife and night rides. :laughoff:

No, your not out of your mind! Yes, you can retain the same payload capacity. Give me a call if you need someone to build your truck the correct way for towing and style. Travis 702-436-6777 (The Custom Shop)

Thanks for the offer on building the truck, I really do like doing all my own work. I have helped many friends lift their truck at my house / shop. All for off road, usually short box short cab ½ ton or mini truck. I don’t have any clue when it comes to the lifted 1-ton towing setup. I would be more then happy to send you some Sadam Husain Iraqi bills as a souvenir for the shop, for some advise on what you have seen work the best for this application? The one truck I saw on this site seemed to be just the right setup in my mind, Maxdout copper F-350 w/ a 40’ww :thumb:

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the offer on building the truck, I really do like doing all my own work. I have helped many friends lift their truck at my house / shop. All for off road, usually short box short cab ½ ton or mini truck. I don’t have any clue when it comes to the lifted 1-ton towing setup. I would be more then happy to send you some Sadam Husain Iraqi bills as a souvenir for the shop, for some advise on what you have seen work the best for this application? The one truck I saw on this site seemed to be just the right setup in my mind, Maxdout copper F-350 w/ a 40’ww :beercheers:

Well if i were looking for a NEW TH i would defintly talk to shawn at giant rv in irvine INHO i would order a CL4005 + 5 and mack it out with all the options price tag about 58k

as for the truck no prob with a 6" lift and 35`s just order the ww with flipped axles from factory and you will have about 8" of clearence from the bed to the TH

what ever TH you go with you should be able to get 25% off the msrp

btw what law is it that say`s that you must have a class a non for a tripple axle trailer ??? we have never been given a ticket for it. been pulled 3 times.??

Edited by DeToXiC1