ASA Safety Items At Dumont

Just got off the phone :call: with Bill Jones of the American Sand Association and we will be offering ASA safety items and safety DVD's when we vend thanksgiving at Dumont.

The safety DVD's will be free, however donations are welcome.

Items will include the checkered flag, and those who fly it, :thumb: support law enforcement and doing the right thing.

We will also be offering the 15MPH signs to place around your camp.

You will also be able to sign up for the ASA.

Supplies will be limited while we see how this is received.

100 % of the proceeds from the sale of ASA items will go back to the ASA.

We hope making people more aware will cut down on the numbers of those injured. :bump: and make the trip more enjoyable for all.

For more info about the ASA, go to:

http://www.americansandassociation.org/

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just got off the phone with Craig/SandBlaster... excellent conversation, lots of ground covered.

He said he's happy to have Friends of Dumont Dunes membership forms available as well as the Dumont Dunes informational brochures we had printed up a while back. We haven't been focusing on fundraising so we don't have any items for sale (yet), but at this point information has its own value.

Thank you Craig, for stepping up to support Friends of Dumont Dunes' effort to fight for the Dumont Dunes community! :laughoff:

VickiW

I don't know that there will actually be an ASA trailer at Dumont (at Glamis vendor row is a different story). From what I understand SandBlaster will be offering a few ASA fundraising items through his business, but there won't be a separate trailer.

SandBlaster... is that your understanding too?

I cannot imagine the ASA setting up a Glamis fundraising trailer at Dumont, but I could be wrong. :laughoff:

VickiW

Crazy lady is true! I am SO GLAD IT'S FRIDAY.

I thought this...

i will be sure to check out the ASA trailer at vendors row ..thank vicki!!! see you at the TRT meeting

meant you were expecting the to see the ASA trailer at Dumont, silly you. :D

VickiW

I don't know that there will actually be an ASA trailer at Dumont (at Glamis vendor row is a different story). From what I understand SandBlaster will be offering a few ASA fundraising items through his business, but there won't be a separate trailer.

SandBlaster... is that your understanding too?

I cannot imagine the ASA setting up a Glamis fundraising trailer at Dumont, but I could be wrong. :laughoff:

VickiW

No ASA trailer, just some safety items to make people more aware. When FODD makes items available at Dumont, we will always be available and at FODD service to help distribute these items.

With all of us pulling together we can make the FODD an outstanding organization.

Talking to Vicki, she is the best to take FODD where it needs to be and we should be all proud of her efforts. :laughoff:

That is good to hear the asa has decided to get involved with dumont. last year at the ssss they said they were watching dumont closely. all of my family and friends are members even my 9 month old daughter is one.

The ASA is not nor will be getting involved with Dumont. They are watching "closely" to support FoDD if we need it but ASA has to much on their plate to get involved with Dumont. On a side note any purchases you buy of ASA stuff the money goes to Glamis NOT the support of Dumont or Friends of Dumont Dunes.

The ASA is not nor will be getting involved with Dumont. They are watching "closely" to support FoDD if we need it but ASA has to much on their plate to get involved with Dumont. On a side note any purchases you buy of ASA stuff the money goes to Glamis NOT the support of Dumont or Friends of Dumont Dunes.

thank you for clearing that up Terry. I guess my question is, if its not going to benefit Dumont, why would the items be sold there?????

thank you for clearing that up Terry. I guess my question is, if its not going to benefit Dumont, why would the items be sold there?????

Was kinda my point. I believe the vendor was looking for a soultion to a problem and that's the first thing he found. I don't blame him, he see's a need and is looking to fill it :D Even so i wasn't to happy about it either.

Was kinda my point. I believe the vendor was looking for a soultion to a problem and that's the first thing he found. I don't blame him, he see's a need and is looking to fill it :D Even so i wasn't to happy about it either.

It was not my goal to step on any toes here.

I honestly did not see any toes to step on. I have not seen FoDD out Dumont dunes and except for the annual cleanup I did not know anything about FoDD.

I was just trying to bring in some safety items to try and help with the many problems caused by the few who either don't know the rules or don't care.

The items I'm bringing from a business stand point are NOT in my businesses best interest in the short term. It will take time and our money to offer these items. In the long run I think it is a sound business decision as we will all benefit from a strong organization supporting Dumont keeping our riding areas open.

I wonder. Is it possible for the ASA and FoDD to work together on items that the ASA has already produced? The ASA has suppliers already in place that could make flags and other items that can be used for fund raising for the FoDD.

Safety Vids possibly could be changed to be from the ASA and or FoDD with minimal costs.

I don't see a problem with FoDD using my vending site under my licencing to promote the FoDD at Dumont. Having a rep from the FoDD that knows more than I what the FoDD is doing to promote the sport and keep the dunes open is welcome. We have the ability to help support you if you desire.

The ASA seems to have a successful model for getting business sponsors as well as individual sponsors.

Many companies also hold fund raisers for the ASA as well as raffles to raise money. I think if we are going to make FoDD a strong voice for us, FoDD should look at the ASA model starting with the web site.

The donation our business made to the FoDD should be made as a business sponsor and used to attract more business sponsors.

With a name like American Sand Association.....you'd think they are concerned with all sand play areas in America. :watching:

With a name like American Sand Association.....you'd think they are concerned with all sand play areas in America. :watching:

I think many do. I did. Maybe that is one of the reasons they seem to have so many supporters.

FoDD? California Sand Association? Southwest Sand Association? Sand Fleet? Keeping your right to ride on earth and the rest of the planets. We can sign up the martians! I have it on good authority the moon is da poop to ride

Who is covering Stoddard Wells OHV area? Southwest Sand and OHV Association

Lets think big!

I think they are concerned with all sand play areas in America, but they mainly focus on Glamis as that is the reason ASA was started.

We all need organizations like ASA, FoDD, CORVA, etc. in our sport/ hobby. It's just too bad that with most of these organizations comes politics. :blink:

I think they are concerned with all sand play areas in America, but they mainly focus on Glamis as that is the reason ASA was started.

Then maybe I'm confused by their newsletter I get in the email:

WHAT IS THE ASA?

The ASA is the lead organization fighting

to keep the Imperial Sand Dunes Recreation

Area (ISDRA) open to OHV use. We are a

nonprofit California corporation under the

IRS Tax Code known as 501©(4). Leaders

of the ASA are volunteers.

I believe that in a very general, but absolutely real way, all pro-access organizations are fighting for all recreation areas.

For instance, when Oceano Dunes takes a step forward or a step back, we all take that same step with them. What happens in each area very much has a ripple effect in the other areas.

As such, the leaders of the various organizations try very hard to work together on the issues and each of us is always available to help the others when needed.

I can personally attest to the fact that Friends of Dumont Dunes is very nicely supported not only by the leaders in CORVA (the organization that helped get FoDD started), but also by the leaders in such organizations as the American Sand Association because, well, for one thing immediately following the initial petition to list the lizard was filed, FoDD received phone calls, emails and private messages offering help in any way we might need it from those leaders.

Please... don't let some of the "word play" you witness on various forums mislead you. Yes, there is some friction but it is not between organizations, it is between individuals. Above and beyond that nonsense there is the knowledge that no one (or handful of) individual/s is going to save or destroy an area and more importantly, there is not one OHV leader in all of the numbers of the OHV leaders, who would let that happen because of conflicting personalities or friction between individuals.

Vicki

I believe that in a very general, but absolutely real way, all pro-access organizations are fighting for all recreation areas.

For instance, when Oceano Dunes takes a step forward or a step back, we all take that same step with them. What happens in each area very much has a ripple effect in the other areas.

As such, the leaders of the various organizations try very hard to work together on the issues and each of us is always available to help the others when needed.

I can personally attest to the fact that Friends of Dumont Dunes is very nicely supported not only by the leaders in CORVA (the organization that helped get FoDD started), but also by the leaders in such organizations as the American Sand Association because, well, for one thing immediately following the initial petition to list the lizard was filed, FoDD received phone calls, emails and private messages offering help in any way we might need it from those leaders.

Please... don't let some of the "word play" you witness on various forums mislead you. Yes, there is some friction but it is not between organizations, it is between individuals. Above and beyond that nonsense there is the knowledge that no one (or handful of) individual/s is going to save or destroy an area and more importantly, there is not one OHV leader in all of the numbers of the OHV leaders, who would let that happen because of conflicting personalities or friction between individuals.

Vicki

Does this mean we can't have Sand Fleet? :watching:

If you want I can take a look at the web site and see if I can get something started for you. If that thing has a cart we can set up sponsors. If not we can use mine. I don't have lot of time but If I can get somethings going and get it started it would be easier for someone to maintain.

Someone needs to get with the ASA and see if we can use there sources for flags and what not. If not I already have some feelers out for stuff.

I can get started like a checkerd flag with FoDD on it. 50 flag min. at a special price. I can float the start up costs for FoDD and be reimbursed from flag sales to get it going

ISBB & I have also offerred to help with the FoDD site many times in the past. ISBB even had a new site built but it has since been deleted because we haven't heard anything back about it. :blink:

Anyways, we are still able to help. Just let us know, Vicki. It won't be hard at all. I will even devote some of my time to keeping it updated and looking purdy. :watching:

ISBB & I have also offerred to help with the FoDD site many times in the past. ISBB even had a new site built but it has since been deleted because we haven't heard anything back about it. :blink:

Anyways, we are still able to help. Just let us know, Vicki. It won't be hard at all. I will even devote some of my time to keeping it updated and looking purdy. :watching:

Just so you know Pete I e mailed Nick last week about Rick fisher our treasuer getting ahold of him to get Nick the info he needs to get going on the project again. If Nick hasn't heard anything I also gave Nick Rick's e mail or let me know and I will touch with Rick again.