ASA Safety Items At Dumont

Just so you know Pete I e mailed Nick last week about Rick fisher our treasuer getting ahold of him to get Nick the info he needs to get going on the project again. If Nick hasn't heard anything I also gave Nick Rick's e mail or let me know and I will touch with Rick again.

Nick mentioned something about it. That is how I found out the site had built had been deleted and he had to start over. :dope::watching: But that is good to hear it is hopefully finally in the works on FoDD's end. Like I said before, it won't be hard. Let's do it. :blink:

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just have to rebuild it and re-setup everything on the server... Will probably do somethings a bit diffrent but in the end it will be much better and "UP TO DATE" with the current issues and what not. Gotta gimme time to get everything rebuilt again

We all need organizations like ASA, FoDD, CORVA, etc. in our sport/ hobby. It's just too bad that with most of these organizations comes politics. :laughoff:

the ONLY reason that politics comes with those organizations, is that, to save our riding areas, unfortunately, that is the realm in which we (the duning community) has to play in

look at our opposition....by themselves, the little groups, much like DDR, politically, don't have much clout, but together, there is strength in numbers.

since the early '80's....central california duners have been fighting for Oceano. more and more was taken away every 3-4 years....from 15,000 acres now down to 1500 acres....just 10 percent of what used to be. it wasn't until Friends of Oceano Dunes was formed, that we were all collectively able to stand up and say

ENOUGH IS ENOUGH

That is what the ASA is, but on a much larger scale. And people of Dumont, you already have FoDD in place, so they are on top of the current issues, and will know in what situation to call groups like the ASA and others in for help...IF it ever comes to that

and let's all hope it doesnt

:laughoff:

I just have to rebuild it and re-setup everything on the server... Will probably do somethings a bit diffrent but in the end it will be much better and "UP TO DATE" with the current issues and what not. Gotta gimme time to get everything rebuilt again

Cool I'd love to do it however I have a hard time keeping up with my own site :)

Let me know if you need anything. If that systems does not have a cart we will be happy to allow the use of our system.

We can setup a direct link to items such as memberships, flags and so forth. Our system can use cc cards paypal and google payments

Just so you know Pete I e mailed Nick last week about Rick fisher our treasuer getting ahold of him to get Nick the info he needs to get going on the project again. If Nick hasn't heard anything I also gave Nick Rick's e mail or let me know and I will touch with Rick again.

Other than the cleanup, That "by the way ddr members helped make so successfull" What does FODD do? And yes Terry, I know you personally bust your butt to get things done.

Edited by ORIGINALPIMP

the ONLY reason that politics comes with those organizations, is that, to save our riding areas, unfortunately, that is the realm in which we (the duning community) has to play in

look at our opposition....by themselves, the little groups, much like DDR, politically, don't have much clout, but together, there is strength in numbers.

since the early '80's....central california duners have been fighting for Oceano. more and more was taken away every 3-4 years....from 15,000 acres now down to 1500 acres....just 10 percent of what used to be. it wasn't until Friends of Oceano Dunes was formed, that we were all collectively able to stand up and say

ENOUGH IS ENOUGH

That is what the ASA is, but on a much larger scale. And people of Dumont, you already have FoDD in place, so they are on top of the current issues, and will know in what situation to call groups like the ASA and others in for help...IF it ever comes to that

and let's all hope it doesnt

:laughoff:

Not THOSE kinda politics. :laughoff: I meant the politics, or friction as Vicki put it, between individuals of each of the organizations. I'm gonna shut up now. :coocoo: :shout: It's just sand! :laughoff::laughoff:

Other than the cleanup, That "by the way ddr members helped make so successfull" What does FODD do? And yes Terry, I know you personally bust your butt to get things done.

Well Tim I guess a thanks is in order for the back handed compliment. Let's see what can I tell you that we do, let's see i have been to the sand show along with almost all of of our board of directors for the last 3 years but I haven't seen the sand show for the last 3 years.

The planning for the clean up is about a 3-4 month ordeal and most of the BOD puts in quite a bit of effort.

The fringe toed lizard alarm was first bought to the BLM and the TRT by the FoDD before it became public knowledge it was discussed and put out by the president of the organization.

The BOD have confrence calls on a as needed basis which ties up quite a bit of time when there is something that needs to be taken care of.

The web site (although in need of revision) was put together by the board along with handeling all the flack that comes with it.

Our biggest job is recruiting new members and that's why we did away with the fee to join. We believe that we need everybody's attention and that can't be accomplished without being able to contact them and having members willing to do the work. (here's your return of the back hand)so are you an active member or just watchin from the sidelines like everybody else?

We need people who are willing to take the rein and go forward. I cannot commit to how much time i can spend in the near future on FoDD as I have a new business opening and I have to place priorities where they are needed. (at least that's what the wifey says)

I hope this answers your question Love ya man!

Ynot I give you my congrats that you keep ansering the quistions of the people of DDR you are all ways here and get back to us as we ask. I don't see much from Fodd out in the sands of Dumont as I under stand it this is where you play. I would give to Fodd if I where to see a bigger present out at Dumont and not at Glamis. I think that more of us would. juat my .02

Well Tim I guess a thanks is in order for the back handed compliment. Let's see what can I tell you that we do, let's see i have been to the sand show along with almost all of of our board of directors for the last 3 years but I haven't seen the sand show for the last 3 years.

The planning for the clean up is about a 3-4 month ordeal and most of the BOD puts in quite a bit of effort.

The fringe toed lizard alarm was first bought to the BLM and the TRT by the FoDD before it became public knowledge it was discussed and put out by the president of the organization.

The BOD have confrence calls on a as needed basis which ties up quite a bit of time when there is something that needs to be taken care of.

The web site (although in need of revision) was put together by the board along with handeling all the flack that comes with it.

Our biggest job is recruiting new members and that's why we did away with the fee to join. We believe that we need everybody's attention and that can't be accomplished without being able to contact them and having members willing to do the work. (here's your return of the back hand)so are you an active member or just watchin from the sidelines like everybody else?

We need people who are willing to take the rein and go forward. I cannot commit to how much time i can spend in the near future on FoDD as I have a new business opening and I have to place priorities where they are needed. (at least that's what the wifey says)

I hope this answers your question Love ya man!

I WOULD CONSIDER MYSELF TO BE AN ACTIVE MEMBER. I participate in the clean up that the FODD puts on. I have donated shirts to the raffle, I abide by the 15 mph speed limit in camp, I dont drink and drive,I along with several others have gone over to comp hill after a busy saturday night there and picked up other peoples trash, and always pack out more trash than I pack in etc.... I would like to become more involved. Make some suggestions so I can take the reins. Everyone knows I have plenty of time on my hands. I asked the question what does FODD do so I could become more involved. If I dont know what they do and what needs to be done, How can I become involved?

No backhanding intended Terry. I know you Personally work your a$$ off for the TRT and for FODD. I am positive, if the other members of the board were as active as you are, FODD would be much more different than it is now. Take the website for instance. Nick and Pete had a new website ready to go. All that needed to be done was to have the old site redirected to the new server. But the ball was dropped by FODD. I am sure if you were the one that could have made that happen, It would have. I guess what im trying to say is, FODD needs more people like you. And with the new bussiness starting up, I am wondering what the cleanup is going to be like this year. If you hadnt busted your butt with the preperations for the cleanup like you have, You cant tell me it would have been as successful as it has been?

Just my 2 cents, And I love ya man!!!!!

Edited by ORIGINALPIMP

I would give to Fodd if I where to see a bigger present out at Dumont and not at Glamis.

Actually there has been 100% more FoDD presence at Dumont than at Glamis... that's because there is zero presence at Glamis. No signs, flyers, membership forms or brochures have been displayed or handed out at Glamis except one time years ago (4 years maybe?) with the former Friends of Dumont Dunes was invited to the annual Glamis cleanup to increase awareness of that area (but not to raise funds of course). Friends of Sand Mountain and Friends of Oceano Dunes were also invited.

Other than that, even though the issues are similar, Dumont and Glamis, like Glamis and Oceano and Sand Mountain and Dumont, operate very much as their own areas.

So what presence has FoDD had at Dumont? Absolutely the most high-profile and memorable is, of course, the cleanup, which has been in place since FoDD started years ago. What was added with the "new" FoDD was the tri-fold brochures handed out at the gate along with banners and signs.

VickiW

What FoDD hasn't done will always be easier to reciount than what FoDD has done, although Terry made a pretty good list there. :D

Mostly what we haven't done is beat the bushes for membership and money. I personally think that membership is most important and, with the help of many people, we're finally in a position to start building our membership base. Like Terry said, we have decided to eliminate the membership fee for now (by the way, all current members will get a bonus for their former paid membership... more on that later) so that it should be easier to get people involved. What we're 'losing' in membership fees is a small sacrifice for getting more people informed was the train of thought we followed on that. We will consider reinstating the fees later on, but for now it's more about getting people involved. We will still want to make sure that people who are signing up with FoDD realize what it is they are signing up for... so many people see "free" and figure what the heck, why not but that's not what we want. It's a fine line but an important one.

Fundraising will be next. If the anti-access groups stay true to form, they will only increase their targeting of Dumont and I see the need for an attorney in the very near future. Fundraising will also increase with the help of many people, including those who have stepped up here in this thread.

What will the money be used for? That's an important question. I personally don't believe in building a warchest just for the sake of having one, but here are more immediate goals to consider such as State and Federal lobby representation. FoDD has done well so far due to its affiliation with other organizations and the contacts that are in place with the leadership. But we can do more and this is one cost of fighting the fight that we really need to step up to. We just can't do that without a more stable cash flow.

There's also several programs that we would like to institute at Dumont such as one focusing on getting the younger community members involved... start while they're young and being a responsible duner just comes naturally from generation to generation. While it's not an expensive program to run, there are small costs that have been borne by individual FoDD leaders in the past. As we grow, this will grow too.

So why haven't we done this yet?

Time... or lack of it would be my response. The leadership consists of working individuals, all volunteers, who have families and hobbies and work responsibilities of their own. It's not easy to work a full-time job, take care of a family and then also work a full-time job even for the most worthy of causes, Dumont. Sorry excuses, I know, but facts are facts.

We've spent the last nearly two years basically playing catch-up with the organization. FoDD had a good start, but it had all but disappeared just prior to the "new" regime stepping in. Since that time we've worked behind the scenes, maintaining important contacts, establishing new ones, controlling the situation from the background, and that's kept us so busy that the foreground has fallen behind. Our public presence has been played down while we have been working behind the scenes... all while juggling families and paying jobs and other obligations.

It's time to get the public presence going.

Obviously the FoDD leadership needs help with this and thankfully, so many of you have stepped up to offer it.

Together we can increase the strength of what we already have and create a new strength in those areas we are building!

VickiW

Our public presence has been played down while we have been working behind the scenes... all while juggling families and paying jobs and other obligations.

It's time to get the public presence going.

What a great letter, dis gilz got skillz! :lol:

Always take time for a little recognition. While you can't buy bread with it, it is nice to be recognised and it allows the rest of us to take pride in your accomplishments on our behalf.

Success breeds success and recognition will motivate others as well.

I like the idea of at least a small war chest when immediate needs arise. Membership numbers are important but how about a single membership and for a little more a family membership?

Membership gift cards for xmas.

Speaking of recognition, how about a membership drive?!

I bet I can sign up more members than Pete! :bawl: What's that smell? I think I smell fear by my challange. There's blood in the air boys...

Not THOSE kinda politics. :beercheers: I meant the politics, or friction as Vicki put it, between individuals of each of the organizations. I'm gonna shut up now. :peek: :shout: It's just sand! :lol::bawl:

:DDRrocks:

OK..i see what you are referring to now...for lack of a better term, a pissing contest.

That's what happens when 2 or more people, who are made to feel very important (read politician)are made to work together towards one common goal.

The best possible scenario is collaboration between the two or more organizations, not one steamrolling the other one into submission..

:GWH: :mic: :beercheers:

:MBdance:

The best possible scenario is collaboration between the two or more organizations, not one steamrolling the other one into submission.

Steamrolling wouldn't (or at least shouldn't) happen at Dumont... completely different situation than at Glamis... there shouldn't be any steamrolling at Glamis, but that's what it gets turned into quite often, even though there are plenty of issues to go around. Oh well, that's Glamis's loss.

Fortunately for Dumont, while there is some overlapping with other user groups (CORVA is involved in all 'California' off-road issues, for instance), there is no competition for Dumont among those user groups. What I'm saying is, for instance, CORVA focuses on a broader scale and is thrilled to know that there are tighter-focused user groups like Friends of Dumont Dunes, Friends of El Mirage, etc., taking care of the needs of those specific areas. And CORVA would never presume to force any of those areas to be 'more like CORVA' or "bend" to CORVA in any way. It just wouldn't make sense (and would be a waste of everyone's already short time).

Friends of Oceano would no more attempt to "take over" Dumont than Friends of Dumont Dunes would attempt to "take over" El Mirage. Each tightly-focused group knows their own area and the issues surrounding it and, quite frankly, we all have our hands full enough without trying to muscle in somewhere else. While there are many members of the ASA who visit Dumont (and vice-versa), the leaders of that organization have made it very clear to Terry and to me, that they have their own soup to stir and will offer any help they can, but will defer to Friends of Dumont Dunes on Dumont matters and have no desire to interfere.

In that regard it's the same all over. If there is ever anything Friends of Dumont Dunes can do for Friends of Oceano Dunes, Friends of Sand Mountain, Friends of El Mirage, the American Sand Association, etc., FoDD will answer the call... and vice versa.

Is there any "one" primary organization? Nope. Although CORVA helped to get many of the current user groups started and the BRC has been around forever, there is no real "parent" organization and my guess is there never will be. Then again, there are so many groups working together on the issues that face off-roaders today, each one keeping an eye on the big picture while focusing on their particular issues, parental leadership is not necessary.

Networking... that's a different story. There should be lots and lots of networking and sharing of ideas among the leaders of the various organizations and for the most part that's true. Not always, but then again nothing is perfect. ;)

VickiW

its good to see the willingness of the different groups regarding assistance, if and when needed, of the other groups

one would expect several groups, who all have one common goal, which is keeping riding areas open, to share ideas that have been succesful in the past. But, as seen on GD.com, all the drama played out over sb742....that is not always the reality, which is sad.

Speaking of recognition, how about a membership drive?!

I bet I can sign up more members than Pete! :mic: What's that smell? I think I smell fear by my challange. There's blood in the air boys...

:lol:

Well before we can sign people up in large numbers, I think the FoDD website has to be updated first (yeah I know- it's being worked on). I used to have a link right on DDR to sign people up, but that link is now broken on FoDD's end. I understand FoDD does things behind the scenes, but I think the website is THEE MOST important tool in keeping an organization going. The internet is the public's #1 source for information. If there is no current info online, nobody is going to want to join because to them the organization seems dead. Just take a look at how this site has grown because there are constant updates being done and new information provided. That is more important than I think alot of people realize. People need to see things change directly from that group, not just hear about them from word of mouth or other websites. Damn.... I should have chosen marketing back on career day. :beercheers::bawl:

I think with everyone's efforts, we can all help make FoDD an extremely strong organization. We just need to pull together to make it happen. As a FoDD business member, I have volunteered and donated my time and money in the past on many occasions and will continue to do so with whatever they need. If I didn't have enough on my plate already with this website (DDR), I would jump on board with the FoDD board of directors. But for now, I am going to continue to go and above and beyond the expected duties of an ordinary FoDD member whatever those may be. Terry & Vicki both know I am here for them and will support FoDD anyway I can.

So, in short, as for a membership drive............I'm all about it. :beercheers: :GWH:

Oh my goodness, I KNEW it could happen!

Friends of Dumont Dunes did not start out and never wanted to be one of those organizations where members just throw money at it and let it do whatever it's going to do.

Absolutely not.

What Dumont needs is members of the community coming together to form the future of Dumont and that is what Friends of Dumont Dunes was designed for... to be the vehicle that helps the Dumont community reach its goals.

This will take a lot more work from the community but I personally think the rewards are greater and that Dumont will be better for it.

We're at a turning point in our dunes right now. Not only are we being targeted by the anti-access bad guys, but even people from within our community... irresponsible and out of control land users... they are unwittingly targeting us too, making us vulnerable and turning away the heart and soul of our users.

Standing up and helping to wrestle control back into the hands of the people who love Dumont... the people who go there not just because they can but because they must... that's what the Dumont community needs to do and that's what is starting right here, right now.

Most excellent.

VickiW

:lol:

So, in short, as for a membership drive............I'm all about it. :mic: :bawl:

I agree with you on the web site, that’s why I did not mention a date.

We need a welcome package to give to members, something like a FoDD bumper sticker, pamplet on a mission statement, "Pack It In Pack It Out", kinda stuff.

As soon as we can come up with dat stuff, I'm gonna kick yar :beercheers: and :beercheers: all the way to the winners circle. :GWH:

We need a welcome package to give to members, something like a FoDD bumper sticker, pamplet on a mission statement, "Pack It In Pack It Out", kinda stuff.

Hey there's an idea. Or even something as simple as a membership card. I know a couple people here on DDR that have volunteered to help with these things in the past. These are the little things that are gonna make a huge difference with gaining members for FoDD. They have to get done though instead of just talking about it. :peek: :DDRrocks:

As soon as we can come up with dat stuff, I'm gonna kick yar :beercheers: and :MBdance: all the way to the winners circle. :lol:

:mic: :beercheers::bawl: :GWH:

Hey there's an idea. Or even something as simple as a membership card. I know a couple people here on DDR that have volunteered to help with these things in the past. These are the little things that are gonna make a huge difference with gaining members for FoDD. They have to get done though instead of just talking about it. :beercheers::beercheers:

:GWH: :mic: :lol::bawl:

Great idea!

Great ideas here!

We've talked about membership cards in the past and the logistics seemed to get in the way. While we're small, printing up membership cards is a snap. But as we grow it could become very cumbersome and the question has become, "is it worth it?"

I personally like the idea of membership cards... for some reason I just like the look of them and always got a kick out of the ones I'd get from signing up with various organizations.

But... once something like that is started it must be maintained and, well, in an all-volunteer organization there is often such a flux in volunteer help that maintaining these systems can become a problem. And then there are people who will wonder how much of their donation is going to pay for those membership cards versus their 'true' value.

I'm certainly not against the idea. Like I said, I like membership cards. Just wanted to give people something to think about on the other end when considering what can and/or should be done.

And we already have the tri-fold brochure we created last year and here is the text of our welcome letter:

Welcome to Friends of Dumont Dunes!

Friends of Dumont Dunes wishes to say “THANK YOU” for making the important decision to become a supporting member of this active pro-access organization. You have just joined the ranks of a growing association of like-minded desert enthusiasts who enjoy off-road recreation at the Dumont Dunes Off Highway Vehicle Recreation Area.

This organization was created to represent all users of the Dumont Dunes and provides those Dune users with a strong, united voice to the Bureau of Land Management and other appropriate political, legislative and land management agencies, while promoting safe, responsible and proper use of the Dumont Dunes. An all-volunteer, user-based organization, Friends of Dumont Dunes is on the forefront of issues impacting the Dumont Dunes, acting as liaisons in the ongoing battle for the rights of the duning community and focusing on enhancing the off-road experience of all Dumont Dunes users.

Your annual fees will be used to support this powerful voice by funding legal and related costs incurred in efforts to maintain and expand your rights to access and enjoy the Dumont Dunes. As an all-volunteer organization (including the leadership board), all financial support goes 100% to projects such as safety and educational programs, safe duning and “rules of the dunes” brochures and pamphlets, organizing the annual Dumont Dunes clean-up and a variety of other activities, as well as administrative costs such as attendance and participation in off-road industry trade shows and events, website development and upkeep, e-mail and postal mail campaigns to promote and support pro-land access legislation.

Speaking of volunteers, Friends of Dumont Dunes encourages you to consider lending a hand. We have committees such as membership, the annual clean up and website maintenance that can always use more volunteer help. Attending off-road shows to help “work the booth,” assisting in mailings, sponsoring or attending informational meetings and rallies and pitching-in at the spring clean-up are just some of the other ways you can help your organization. Remember, Friends of Dumont Dunes is only comprised of volunteers; user participation increases our strength and we welcome any assistance you may be inclined to provide.

For more information about Friends of Dumont Dunes and how you can volunteer to help keep your Dunes open, to read about the latest issues facing or impacting the Dunes and/or to share your thoughts and comments on the topics of the day with fellow Dumont users, please visit our website at www.FriendsOfDumontDunes.org.

Thanks again for becoming a supporting member of Friends of Dumont Dunes. We appreciate your support and together, we can make a difference.

Best regards,

VickiW

Edited by SailAway

Great ideas here!

We've talked about membership cards in the past and the logistics seemed to get in the way. While we're small, printing up membership cards is a snap. But as we grow it could become very cumbersome and the question has become, "is it worth it?"

I personally like the idea of membership cards... for some reason I just like the look of them and always got a kick out of the ones I'd get from signing up with various organizations.

But... once something like that is started it must be maintained and, well, in an all-volunteer organization there is often such a flux in volunteer help that maintaining these systems can become a problem. And then there are people who will wonder how much of their donation is going to pay for those membership cards versus their 'true' value.

I'm certainly not against the idea. Like I said, I like membership cards. Just wanted to give people something to think about on the other end when considering what can and/or should be done.

And we already have the tri-fold brochure we created last year and here is the text of our welcome letter:

VickiW

If an organization can't furnish something as simple as a membership card when a member 1st signs up, then there is a big problem with that. I don't think FoDD will be around for very long if that is a big obstacle for them. Hell, even an e-mail confirming that that person is now a member is expected. People need to get something. Sorry, this is only my opinion but I think it holds alot of truth to it and I think many would agree.

If an organization can't furnish something as simple as a membership card when a member 1st signs up, then there is a big problem with that. I don't think FoDD will be around for very long if that is a big obastacle for them. Hell, even an e-mail confirming that that person is now a member is expected. People need to get something. Sorry, this is only my opinion but I think it holds alot of truth to it and I think many would agree.

post-475-1194375102_thumb.gif

Holy moly, put away the tar and feathers! :D

No one, including me, said we CAN'T provide them. I merely pointed out the fact that it's been discussed and preempted the naysayers by pointing out what has already been pointed out to us before.

As I said, I like the idea of membership cards... some don't, but I do and apparently you guys do too. :lol:

VickiW

Edited by SailAway