Closure Threat From The CBD

This is a news release from the Center for Biological Diversity (CBD). For those who don't recognize that name, the CBD is one of three organizations that successfully sued and closed over 49,000 acres at Glamis. Temporary closures that have been in place since 2000 and there appears to be no end in sight. These guys sue to make money and are completely unconcered with the species they are suing for. They use the Endangered Species Act as a tool to shut out public access from public lands.

This is a very real threat.

For immediate release

April 10, 2006

Daniel R. Patterson, Desert Ecologist 520.623.5252 x306

Mojave fringe-toed lizard moves closer to

Endangered Species Act protection

Uma scoparia threatened by BLM management allowing off-road vehicle abuse of desert dunes

Baker, Calif. – The Mojave fringe-toed lizard (Uma scoparia) moved closer to protection today as the Center for Biological Diversity and Ms. Sylvia Papadakos-Morafka petitioned the Bush Interior Department to list the Amargosa River Distinct Population Segment (DPS) as threatened or endangered under the U.S. Endangered Species Act.

“The Mojave fringe-toed lizard is a fascinating creature, but it is being wiped out by off-road vehicle impacts and poor BLM management,” said Daniel R. Patterson, Desert Ecologist with the Center for Biological Diversity who formerly worked with the Bureau of Land Management (BLM) in the Mojave Desert. “Without Endangered Species Act protection now we could lose the lizard, and along with it part of our natural desert heritage and quality of life.”

The Amargosa River Population qualifies as a Distinct Population Segment because it is discrete, significant, and threatened or endangered. As are all fringe-toed lizards, the Amargosa River population of northeastern San Bernardino County, California (Dumont Dunes, Ibex Dunes, and Coyote Holes) is highly restricted to fine sand environments. Unfortunately, a significant portion the population’s range has suffered severe habitat destruction and modification by extensive off-road vehicle (ORV) traffic.

Petitioners also request that critical habitat be designated for the Amargosa River DPS of Mojave Fringe-toed Lizard concurrent with listing.

The Amargosa River DPS meets three criteria for consideration as a threatened or endangered species under the Endangered Species Act: the present or threatened destruction, modification, or curtailment of its habitat or range; the inadequacy of existing regulatory mechanisms; and other natural or manmade factors affecting its continued existence.

The most significant threat to the Amargosa River population is intensive off-road vehicle recreational use, which has killed many lizards directly and destroyed the lizards’ habitat. The BLM’s management of the lizard’s habitat allows intensive ORV use over a majority of its range.

Recent surveys at Ibex Dunes and Dumont Dunes (more than 98 percent of the population’s range) found low densities of Uma scoparia and massive habitat destruction by ORVs at Dumont Dunes.

Extensive ORV traffic at Dumont Dunes, and to a lesser extent Coyote Holes and Ibex Dunes, poses a substantial threat to the continued existence of the Amargosa River DPS of the Mojave fringe-toed lizard. Since the 1970s, Dumont has experienced a more than 230 percent increase in off-road vehicle traffic (BLM statistic). This increase has fueled illegal traffic to both Ibex Dunes and Coyote Holes, presenting a population-wide threat. ORVs at Dumont Dunes result in direct harm to the lizard and destruction of its habitat. When disturbed, the lizard dives into loose sand only a few centimeters deep, where it is vulnerable to death or injury from ORV sand-digging tires. ORVs destroy habitat by trampling above-ground vegetation and destroying shallow root systems common to many desert plants. This destruction of vegetation also results in a decline of insects, reducing the Mojave fringe-toed lizard’s food sources.

At Death Valley National Park, Uma scoparia could not be located at two of three potential historical sites. Ibex Dunes may represent the only remaining population within the Park.

Furthermore, Coyote Holes – a sand blowout east of Dumont Dunes – is an extremely small piece of habitat that could be significantly damaged by a single occurrence from illegal ORV use.

ORV use leading to extirpation of Uma scoparia is a realistic threat. Recent surveys at the BLM’s El Mirage off-road “open area” showed that Uma scoparia is likely extirpated at this site, and that its disappearance is likely due to habitat destruction and direct harm by ORVs (Morafka, 2000 and 2002, BLM, 2004a). Morafka (2000) concludes of El Mirage Dry Lake: “Local dunes appeared to be plowed by massive and repetitive ORV traffic, destroying perennial vegetation and altering dunes surfaces.”

Other significant threats to the Amargosa River DPS are toxins in the environment from nearby military operations, residual pesticides, and blocking of sand sources, all of which have likely contributed to local extirpation of lizard populations (Morafka 2000 and 2002).

The Amargosa River DPS of Uma scoparia is in need of protection as a threatened or endangered species with critical habitat. Listing for the Amargosa River DPS and critical habitat is essential due to massive habitat destruction and low densities of Uma scoparia found by Morafka (2002) at Dumont Dunes and low densities of Uma scoparia found by Emmerich (1998) at Ibex Dunes, comprising the vast majority of the population’s range. The request for listing as a Distinct Population Segment is based in large part on genetic analyses by Murphy et al. (In review), showing the population to be isolated and genetically distinct.

The Center and Ms. Papadakos-Morafka submit this petition in the memory of Dr. David Morafka. Dr. Morafka was a leading scientist on Uma scoparia, and he supported Endangered Species Act listing to ensure its survival and recovery in the wild.

The U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service must issue a finding on the merits of the 28-page petition by July 12, 2006.

Did I say this is a threat? That's far too mild. We knew they were coming for us, but that doesn't make this any less scary.

Now is the time to start getting involved before Dumont loses half its riding area to these theives.

Vicki

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

If you are concerned about this,AND YOU SHOULD BE VERY CONCERNED! Please join the Friends of Dumont Duners! It only costs $24.00 per year for families and $100.00 year for businesses. We are warning you now they are coming and we need to start NOW to stop this BS!!

FoDD Applications will be posted very soon at the www.friendsofdumontdunes.org website and as soon as I get them I will post one here for you to sign up with.

Terry

This is like a conspiracy by the tree huggers! It seems like everybody is targeting ORV's... Pismo is a joke now. I just heard that there is some tough legislation on the table for Riverside county limiting or elimination ORV completely in riverside and now this.. I can't believe there is nothing that we can do.. It seems like it is a much bigger issue than just one site.

I think that the only way to win these battles is to unite. Not just Dumont, but Riverside county Riders, Glamis riders, Pismo riders and other riders across the nation who are fighthing to keep their riding areas open. We should set up a URL like stopthetreehuggers.org or preserveourORVparks.org or somthing and appeal to the masses across the country that way we carry more weight. This issue is certainly broader than one location and with more support for ORV Sites as a whole, a more compelling argument can be made with much more weight. Not to mention that if the masses were better educated or a mechanism such as a unified location on line for this cause was established, it would be easier to inform people of the issues driving the CBD and thus the masses would be better at preserving the wildlife or terrain that they (CBD) are trying to protect. That would further make the CBD's argument less compelling.

I could easily set up a URL for the cause and host it here but we would need to reach out well beyond our backyard to try to get people from across the country to join in the cause. Then we would need to figure out how to get the message to the legislators that are listening to the CBD..

My biggest issue is my limited amount time that I can devote but I am sure that the bike manufacturers headquartered in the US and the bike dealers would certainly help spread the word as the less places to ride that there are around the country, the less bikes they will sell. If we were backed by major manufacturers and shops, we would have a much bigger voice, not to mention that it would be much easier to educate people on the issues since everybody that rides has to visit a shop once in a while..

Just a thought..

If you are concerned about this,AND YOU SHOULD BE VERY CONCERNED! Please join the Friends of Dumont Duners! It only costs $24.00 per year for families and $100.00 year for businesses. We are warning you now they are coming and we need to start NOW to stop this BS!!

FoDD Applications will be posted very soon at the www.friendsofdumontdunes.org website and as soon as I get them I will post one here for you to sign up with.

Terry

Terry I will contribute any way possible, just keep me posted as to how and when I can help. I'll purchase a business membership for DDR when the app. is up on the site. :laughing:

I think that the only way to win these battles is to unite. Not just Dumont, but Riverside county Riders, Glamis riders, Pismo riders and other riders across the nation who are fighthing to keep their riding areas open. We should set up a URL like stopthetreehuggers.org or preserveourORVparks.org or somthing and appeal to the masses across the country that way we carry more weight. This issue is certainly broader than one location and with more support for ORV Sites as a whole, a more compelling argument can be made with much more weight. Not to mention that if the masses were better educated or a mechanism such as a unified location on line for this cause was established, it would be easier to inform people of the issues driving the CBD and thus the masses would be better at preserving the wildlife or terrain that they (CBD) are trying to protect. That would further make the CBD's argument less compelling.

I like the idea...but isn't that what the ASA and other orgs are supposed to be?

This is like a conspiracy by the tree huggers! It seems like everybody is targeting ORV's... Pismo is a joke now. I just heard that there is some tough legislation on the table for Riverside county limiting or elimination ORV completely in riverside and now this.. I can't believe there is nothing that we can do.. It seems like it is a much bigger issue than just one site.

I could easily set up a URL for the cause and host it here but we would need to reach out well beyond our backyard to try to get people from across the country to join in the cause. Then we would need to figure out how to get the message to the legislators that are listening to the CBD..

My biggest issue is my limited amount time that I can devote but I am sure that the bike manufacturers headquartered in the US and the bike dealers would certainly help spread the word as the less places to ride that there are around the country, the less bikes they will sell. If we were backed by major manufacturers and shops, we would have a much bigger voice, not to mention that it would be much easier to educate people on the issues since everybody that rides has to visit a shop once in a while..

Just a thought..

excellent idea! :laughing:

I like the idea...but isn't that what the ASA and other orgs are supposed to be?

If there are organizations like that already in existance, than that woud be a great place to start.. If not there, then in cooperation or partnership with them. I have never gone down this path before so I really don't know what is out there, but it seems like what ever we do, it should be focussed on the cause and be very public with one goal in mind (maybe 2 or 3): Stop the reduction of our riding areas, educate the masses to preserve and not destroy so as not to give more ammo to the tree huggers, and appeal to people across the nation so we have a big voice. If the ASA can be that mechanism than so be it! Who is the ASA?

If there are organizations like that already in existance, than that woud be a great place to start.. If not there, then in cooperation or partnership with them. I have never gone down this path before so I really don't know what is out there, but it seems like what ever we do, it should be focussed on the cause and be very public with one goal in mind (maybe 2 or 3): Stop the reduction of our riding areas, educate the masses to preserve and not destroy so as not to give more ammo to the tree huggers, and appeal to people across the nation so we have a big voice. If the ASA can be that mechanism than so be it! Who is the ASA?

They are the American Sand Association and can be found

here.

They seem big on Glamis.........not sure about the other areas, but here is there mission statement:

The mission of the American Sand Association is simple: "Unite, Inform and Mobilize"

We accomplish that mission through the use of volunteers. We believe in responsible resource management for the people. The American Sand Association supports a national cooperation of local and regional sand sport organizations and shares with them ideas and information to help them Unite, Inform and Mobilize.

Well that would be a good start, but since many riders don't make it to the sand but have their riding areas being impeded upon, I think for causes like this to be more effective, we need to get all people who ride, dune, rail, etc on board. It would certainly make it much easier to fight these people since there are millions of ORV'rs out there as opposed to tens of thousands (or less) of duners with perhaps only thousands if not less that visit dumont who would join the cause..

This needs to be class action like and designed to stop these guys across the board.. Not just one location.. If we help out the folks at Glamis, they would certainly join our cause and I am sure the same goes for Pismo and other locations in and outside of California.

Edited by scott

Just like Friends of Oceano is focused on the Oceano dunes, the ASA is a Glamis-focused organization, actively fighting the legal issues as well as pursuing the biological issues. DUNERS is also a Glamis-focused organization, focusing on duner safety and on-the-ground programs for the community.

Friends of Dumont Dunes is (obviously) focused on Dumont only, just as tightly as the ASA is focused on Glamis. And the board members of FoDD are well-versed in the fight against the anti-access groups like the CBD.

Uniting the various organizations to fight these bastards is a nice idea but not very likely, or even very necessary. Just like you go to see a podiatrist when you have a foot problem, you should turn to the area's organization when you need to address specific problems, like this current CBD threat.

Now... a group of podiatrists will very likely share information and "network" with each other to face common problems, and that's what happens with the OHV groups. Networking helps keep them all in touch with the issues that are facing the areas outside their focus, but does not create such a distraction as to lose the focus needed to make a difference in the area they represent.

Vicki

Don, take that a little further and look at the base membership for ASA. It is comprised of mostly Glamis users. They also have not been able to accomplish very much in the last several years to get the dunes reopened. Not bad mouthing the group but I truly believe that we have our own battle and we must not depend on them to "help" us out. They have a complete different area,focus and attiude than Dumont users. We can do this but it will take all of us pulling together. just my 2cents worth. :laughing:

I think they are going to have problems using the fringe toed lizard be cause the dunes at Dumont aren't the only place this lizard lives.

That's why the bad guys are petitioning on behalf of the lizard as a "Distinct Population Segment" which means they aren't trying to have it listed across the board, but (at this point in time) only at Dumont.

And ISBB is right, the lizard is one of the "species of concern" at Glamis as well... if and when the management plan for that dune area is finally implemented, there will be a large chunk in the middle of the dunes held aside as an "Adaptive Management Area" and permits will be required to ride in there. That AMA is supposed to be beneficial to not only the "hot topic" at Glamis, the Piersons Milk Vetch, but also beneficial to the Fringe Toed Lizard and the Andrews Dunes Scarab Beetle, two species the CBD has previously targeted.

But I digress... where ever else this little beauty lives is not at issue in this newest petition to have it listed. The CBD is focusing only on the ones that habitate at Dumont.

Vicki

Edited by SailAway

Tsk. Forgot to add something again...

I received an email from a board member of the American Sand Association promising their help wherever needed. And that is even though, by the ASA's leadership's own admission, they are truly a "Glamis-focused" organization. We have also been offered help by CORVA and I'm sure we'll be hearing from ORBA and Cal4Wheel Drive.

Why? Because we are all part of the same big war. Just because Friends of Oceano Dunes if focusing on the issues there, or the ASA is focusing on the issues at Glamis, what is great about the battles they are involved in is, when they win, we all win... because while the battles they are fighting may be located at Glamis and Ocean, they are just a small part of a really big war.

Dumont has now been pulled into that war in a major way.

Vicki

Tsk. Forgot to add something again...

I received an email from a board member of the American Sand Association promising their help wherever needed. And that is even though, by the ASA's leadership's own admission, they are truly a "Glamis-focused" organization. We have also been offered help by CORVA and I'm sure we'll be hearing from ORBA and Cal4Wheel Drive.

Why? Because we are all part of the same big war. Just because Friends of Oceano Dunes if focusing on the issues there, or the ASA is focusing on the issues at Glamis, what is great about the battles they are involved in is, when they win, we all win... because while the battles they are fighting may be located at Glamis and Ocean, they are just a small part of a really big war.

Dumont has now been pulled into that war in a major way.

Vicki

This won't just stay in Calif either....I'm sure Amargossa and the rest are next on the hit list.

Anything is possible... these particular anti-access turds don't care who they roll over.

But I will say, their focus is on the desert southwest, as confirmed in an email sent out by one of the mouthpieces for the CBD several years ago. He went on a "fishing expedition" with his "conservation" chronies (like The Nature Conservancy, Sierra Club, etc.) and asked for any suggestions on OHV areas to "hit."

No, I'm not kidding.

Vicki

What a load!!!!

We are in!!!! :boxer:

Besides joining FoDD(which we will do) what else can be done?

Other than joining FoDD, the next thing would be for everyone to become as familiar as possible with what's going on.

Read the petition... yeah, it's hard to stomach, but knowing thine enemy always helps design the best strategies.

And stay out of the already-closed areas so that "they" don't add that fuel to the fire.

Knowledge truly is power... the more we know, the better we can fight. FoDD will set up an information meeting before too long and we'll have the Fish & Wildlife Service representative attend to help explain this process to us. The FWS, by the way, isn't on "their" side any more than they're on our side. And they are also tired of the frivolous lawsuits because they create a vicious cycle... FWS resources get tied up fighting foolish lawsuits, leaving no resources for species conservation so more lawsuits are filed due to lack of species conservation.

Vicki

These buttheads need to think of how many people they will put out of business if they keep closing all the riding areas. How about the "family" times they would be wiping out. Everyone complains that they don't have enough time to spend with their families and buttheads like this is taking away the little bit we do have. Really how do the lizards in Dumont or the birds in Pismo or the weeds in Glamis help the economy? Are they going to support all the people that lose their jobs because nobody is riding anymore? They need to think I mean really think about how many people and businesses this affects. Sorry I just needed to get this off my chest because they really piss me off. :boxer:

Edited by sandqueen

Why don't these Eco terrorists deal with the problems where they live first? The answer is simple. They all live in big cities and are just doing this to get your money.

Man, you hit it right on the nose.

This is about money, nothing noble, nothing sacred, no passion, no love of the desert or respect for wildlife.

$$$

Vicki