Dometic fridge recall letter?

racegirl04

If anyone received the letter from Dometic about their fridge in the trailer, just to let you know, Camping World is doing the fix, no charge. I called them last week when I got the letter and got an appointment. Took the trailer down and was back on the road in about 30 minutes. If I would have called the dealer (Wheeler's) it would have taken 3 weeks to get an appointment and probably 3 weeks to get it back and even then it wouldn't have been fixed. ( if past experiences with them proved to be true this time)

Whats the recall for, Lisa?

Motor Home and Fifth Wheel RV Recalls Continue

July 3, 2008

Since early April we have published several alerts on recalled motor homes and fifth wheel travel trailers from many different companies including New Horizons, Scotty, Sprinter, Extreme and Kit RV and - as of today - Coachmen. If you want to keep track of motor home recalls click here and bookmark the following page.

The common denominator among these RV manufacturers’ recalled motor homes and fifth wheels is a refrigerator made by a company called the Dometic Corporation.

This is a very important recall because the refrigerators made by the Dometic Corporation may have a defect that causes pressurized coolant to release. If there is a gas flame present, this could result in a deadly fire.

As the recalled RVs continue to hit our desks, we will pass the information on to you. However, after so many recalls involving these refrigerators we advise you to be proactive and check to see what model you have in your motor home or fifth wheel travel trailer. It could save your life.

Dometic Corporation will repair the refrigerators for free by installing a secondary burn housing, a thermal fuse and a melt fuse. They have hired Stericycle Inc. to manage this process and assist owners in locating the closest dealership or service center capable of fixing the problem. Owners are to contact Dometic / Stericycle at 888-446-5157 for more information.

Thanks Cheese! I have the recall letter. Pretty much if you have a 2003-2006 trailer with a Dometic fridge you-re probably gonna need the fix just to be on the safe side. If anyone wants to PM me their model # and serial # I'll let you know if it is in the recall.

Thanks Cheese! I have the recall letter. Pretty much if you have a 2003-2006 trailer with a Dometic fridge you-re probably gonna need the fix just to be on the safe side. If anyone wants to PM me their model # and serial # I'll let you know if it is in the recall.

Thanks, I'll PM you my fridge info sometime before I'm 40 LOL

Is there any way you can scan the letter and post it?

:laughing:

• 4 months later...

Just got the letter today. I'll have to go out and check if my serial # is included in the recall. That would be kinda cool though if that fugger burned down out front! I wouldn't have a toyhauler payment anymore! :yiah: :freakin_nuts:

note to self:- go turn that toyhauler fridge on! :laughing::laughoff:

Just got the letter today. I'll have to go out and check if my serial # is included in the recall. That would be kinda cool though if that fugger burned down out front! I wouldn't have a toyhauler payment anymore! :yiah: :freakin_nuts:

note to self:- go turn that toyhauler fridge on! :laughing::laughoff:

it would be one giant bon fire..burn muther fugger burn :drunk::lol:

• 2 months later...

i know this is an oldie thread but i just picked up my TH yesterday from Johnnie Walker and they had done the recall service for me and i didnt even know i needed it, hauler was in for a fresh water tank replacement and a new gen. switch, andwhen i got my paperwork there were notes on there for "dometic recall", i called them back and asked what was up, and they told me that they check for known recalls while rigs are in for service, and if they need to be perfomed they just take care of it, which in my case was good since i am the second owner on this hauler, and i never got a letter about the recall. so anyway they installed a new burner and i guess i am good to go now!

kinda nice when you get a "by the way, you need a ...." and it doesnt end up costing you more money!!

you were lucky!

when I was it LV RV there was a guy in there to get his fixed as it was leaking... Dometic denied to fix!!!! said it was out if warranty!!! I thought if there was a recall it was good forever especially something that can start a fire!!!! :ah: :ah:

• 3 months later...

So much for the recall doing a damn thing.

I go out to do my bi-weekly trailer check up(run genny,waterpump and a/c's) and decided to check the fridge because it stays plugged in and on.

Its off and stinks due to the water in the freezer which was ice.

I pull the panel outside and see all the yellow sh*t under the burner.

I got online and low and behold this is what the recall was for if it happened at the time of shield installment.

This really sucks. The fridge is basically junk now. :pissed::pissed: To top it off I have a trip planned in a month!!! :pissed:

:finger::finger: Dometic

My Dometic stopped working last year and considering the cost of a replacement fridge I replaced the cooling assembly with a rebuilt unit, they build new evaporator sections for the units as that's the part that usually rust out. Yours is a leaky boiler section but is probably a good core anyway. Their website is www.rvcool.com/ . My 2 door replacement unit was $480, a new fridge is probably 2-3 times that.