• Dune Food

Food ideas and recipes for grubbin at the dunes.
    Vegashd

Breakfast Fattie

By Vegashd, in Dune Food,

Type of Meal: breakfast
    Fattie is the term used for any type of bacon/sausage weave food.... YUMMY
    So we have a great breakfast Fattie that can be premade at home, wrapped in saran wrap and froze only to be cooked at the dunes
    Start by making the fattie by frying some cubed potatoes, onions and garlic in butter, then added shredded cheese....

Lay the fried potato/onion/garlic/cheese filling on the rolled out spicy breakfast sausage.....

Wrap the fattie in a bacon weave, saran wrap and freeze for dunes.....

BBQ on the grill or in a smoker and cut the slices of the stuffed fattie and place on toasted english muffin rounds....

Edited February 28, 2010 by Vegashd

G4NON

Cowboy Coffee

By G4NON, in Dune Food,

Type of Meal: drink
    Normally we bring a French press for coffee but last time we were at Dumont we suddenly found ourselves with many requests for coffee. This recipe for Cowboy Coffee is not mine but is a great way to make a lot of coffee in a pinch.

1. Add water to your pot and bring it to a boil.
    2. Once the water’s boiling, remove the pot from your fire and let it sit for 30 seconds. This will lower the water temperature to 200°F — the perfect temperature for brewing coffee.
    3. Add 2 tablespoons of finely ground coffee for every 8 ounces of water. (You may want to measure how much water your pot holds and how much coffee a spoon you bring holds before going camping so you can measure accurately.)
    4. Stir the grounds into the water.
    5. Let the brew sit for 2 minutes and stir again.
    6. Let the coffee sit for 2 more minutes.
    7. After a total of 4 minutes of brewing, sprinkle a little cold water on the grounds. Yes, this actually does help them settle to the bottom.
    8. Slowly pour the coffee, so the grounds remain on the bottom of the pot.
    Credit: www.driftaway.coffee

My addition: if you are worried about coffee grounds just throw a filter in the cup before you pour.

Stay safe out there!

dunefreak
    Type of Meal: dinner
    Deep frying your turkey at the dunes is probably one of the easiest methods other than cooking it at home and bringing it out there to reheat, but what fun is that? Every time we've deep fried a turkey out there it becomes the center of attention in camp and is a good time. Using a deep fryer can be a little messy so the dunes are a perfect place to do it. 

Deep Fryers
    So where do you begin? Don't own a deep fryer? Get one! They are relatively inexpensive and very easy to use. You'll want a 30 QT deep fryer like this one on Amazon, 30QT Turkey Fryer. 

Picking your turkey
    Usually 15 lbs is what I shoot for. If yo go too big,it doesn't fit well in the fryer.

Be Careful!
    First things first...safety. Although you’re out at the dunes, a propane deep fryer can still be very dangerous so here's a couple tips.
    Completely thaw your turkey. Even a partially frozen turkey will cause the oil to pop and possibly overflow. Never leave it unattended and be sure to carefully follow the instructions. Make sure you are outside away from your RV, camp chairs, and anything flammable.  Have a large grilling glove handy. These are good gloves to have because they handle the heat and cover your arm from getting burned by the oil: Cooking Gloves With Textured Palms.  

Prepare Your Bird & Fryer
    Remove the wrapper from the turkey. Take out the giblets and toss em. Determine how much oil you need for cooking. Put the thawed turkey in the fryer basket (or on the turkey stand) and place it in the fryer. Add water until the top of the turkey is just barely covered. Remove the turkey, allowing the water to drain from the turkey back into the fryer. Measure and mark the water line, and use that line as your guide when adding your oil to the fryer. Pat the turkey dry with paper towels. Do NOT put a frozen or partially frozen turkey in the fryer.  Add the peanut oil to the fryer (based on the water line you made earlier). Preheat oil in the fryer to 375° F. While the oil is heating, prepare your turkey with any seasonings. Some people inject flavor into their turkey but this isn't a very good idea for two reasons. 1. Your messing with the turkeys natural flavors and 2. the added moisture in the hot oil. Stick with just seasoning to play it safe.  

Time to Cook
    When the oil is up to temperature, turn the burner off and slowly lower the turkey into the hot oil. Slowly lowering the basket/rack helps prevent the oil from bubbling over. Once the turkey is placed in the fryer, turn the burner back on. Cook the turkey about 3 to 4 minutes per pound. A 15 lb turkey will take about 45-50 minutes to cook. The turkey is done when the dark meat is at an internal temperature of 175° F to 180° F and all white meat is at an internal temperature of 165° F to 170° F. When the turkey is done, slowly lift it from the pot and place it in a pan or on paper towels to drain. Let the turkey stand for 20 minutes before removing it from the rack or basket.  
    Carve it up and Eat!

Video
    Here is a how-to video to help guide you through the process. Most of the tips and cooking times are similar to our info.

sand chick
    Type of Meal: snack, lunch, dinner
    Ok I figured if the bacon didn't get ya, the breasts would 
    This one is so ridiculously easy, I pre-made and froze 8 lbs of chicken on Sunday! So one dinner for our upcoming Coral trip is already prepared, along with several more Dumont trips (its right around the corner you know) 
    Great to make your dollar stretch and perfect if your group does the combined dinners and you are in charge of one of them 
    One recipe makes 12 pieces

Instructions 
    Season your chicken breasts with all the spices, but the brown sugar.
    Wrap a slice of bacon around each piece.
    Roll the wrapped breast in brown sugar
    Grill until done.
    Or put in bags and freeze.
    I put a little bit of the left over brown sugar into each bag.

sand chick

Shrimp Pasta Salad

By sand chick, in Dune Food,

Type of Meal: snack, lunch, dinner
    This one is good for those hotter trips, you know the ones early October and you just can't stand to not go anymore or late in the season, but you just don't quite want to give up yet.... but don't really want a hot meal or to cook.
    I would make this one ahead of time, night before. Its quick and simple.
    Thaw the shrimp, under running water and drain.
    Cook the pasta as the package instructs.
    Puree half of the Bruschetta.
    As soon as the pasta cools, add all of the ingredients together, including the remaining Bruschetta. Chill at least one hour before serving.
    I added left over lightly grilled with olive oil asparagus from the night before and one med. diced bell pepper as well.. so again you can play with this one by adding stuff 
    I served it with a banana/melon mix and it complimented it nicely 

sand chick
    I tore the bread up the night before and precooked the sausage ahead of time. Morning prep time was 5 mins.
    You can make this super healthy by using whole wheat french bread, egg beaters and low fat cheese and milk. Also you could dress it up buy adding veggies such as asparagus, bell peppers, onions, etc.
    The littlens gave it a 

1 loaf french bread, torn into pieces.

6 eggs

1/4 cup milk

1 package spicy Italian chicken sausage (I used Fresh and Easy Fiesta Chicken sausage), removed from casing and cooked.

8oz Monterey Jack, shredded

Spices to your taste

Preheat oven to 350.
    Spray pan with cooking spray.
    Placed the bread pieces in the pan.
    Beat eggs, milk and spices.
    Pour over the bread.
    Add remaining ingredients.

Kick back and enjoy a cup of coffee while baking for 25 mintues, until top is a golden brown.

Let stand for 5 minutes and dig in!

Like this

Richard Cheese
    Type of Meal: snack, lunch
    Before you cut anything, get out a pan, heat to medium, and put the jalapenos in the pan. brown all sides of the jalapeno. I have found that if you have a flat utensil that you can use to apply pressure to the chilies, the process goes much faster...if not...count on 15 minutes in the pan.
    Cut up the pineapple. I start by chopping off the top and about a half inch up from the bottom. Then, I start taking the sides off by slicing straight down from the top to the bottom. try not to take too much of the actual pineapple off when you do this. next, find the center of the pineapple ( the firm part in the middle) and cut as close to that from top to bottom. you should wind up with 4-6 pieces of fresh pineapple that is as tall as the pineapple was after you took the bottom and top off
    Next is the cilantro. I use scissors to cut the leaves off of the stems...its ok to have a few stems...but not too many, as they detract from the final taste of the salsa
    GET OUT THE BLENDER
    Put half of the pineapple in the blender, along with the cilantro leaves you harvested from the stems. For the chilis, cut the stem off and place the chilis in the blender as well (they should be all brown and black)
    Squeeze the lemon into the blender...you get more juice out of it if you cut it into 1/4ths
    Get a cup of water, remove the plastic piece from the lid of the blender to add water when needed. turn on the blender
    Most of the ingredients in the blender will not be moving, only a little from the bottom will. the water helps with this situation......begin pouring water into the hole in the lid SLOWLY.....until the pineapple and chilis begin to move toward the bottom of the blender...STOP WITH THE WATER IMMEDIATELY
    You can continue to add water for consistancy....but not too much, as it detracts from the taste
    Mven my Mexican friends rave about the sweetness and the hotness combined together in this salsa. this is great on Carne Asada tacos, as well as chicken. Great for dipping tortilla chips into as well.
    I've even used it as a salad dressing. I thickened it up with a half of a ripe avocado...mmmmmmmmm
    Buena suerte DDR foolios!!!
    Photos by rushjunkie...

sand chick

Tortilla Eggs

By sand chick, in Dune Food,

Heat margarine and oil in a skillet over meaduim heat. Add tortilla strips, turning occasionally until tortillas are brown. Mix remaining ingrediants, except cheese and pour into skillet. Cook like scrambled eggs, when almost done sprinkle with cheese, cover til cheese has melted.

Vegashd

Pigs in a canoe

By Vegashd, in Dune Food,

Type of Meal: snack
    Once again duneable on the grill in camp.
    Mix up the cheese an put on japs cut in half, veined an seeded.
    Add the cheese mixture
    little smokie on top held with a tooth pic.
    Smoke at 225

Richard Cheese

Mango Salsa

By Richard Cheese, in Dune Food,

You start with 2 ripe mangos, 1 head of cilantro, 1 jalepeno, and 1 red onion

i peel the skin off the mangos with an apple peeler, but you can do it with a knife too.

slice up into pieces that can fit into your blender. Along with the mangoes, add the cilantro (you can cut the individual leaves off with a pair of scissors, or you can just put the whole head in there, as I do it), the jalapeno with the stem cut off, and the peeled whole red onion.
    blend it until it is all liquid. at this time, i like to test it for spiciness, and usually have to add another jalapeno, but everyone has their own taste.
    put in the refrigerator to chill for a couple hours. you can then serve it with chips, or put it on your favorite Mexican food item. i personally put it on my world famous carne asada tacos, which Chadwick will be tasting tonight....maybe he'll add his opinion

RAGDOLL MX
    Fry the bacon until crisp and set aside. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F.
    Rinse the peppers and then pat dry. Slice off the stem and then cut the jalapenos in half lengthwise.
    Take a small knife and remove as much of the seeds and membranes as you like. Remember, the heat is in the seeds and membranes.
    You can also rinse the pepper again after removing the seeds to help in eliminating those hot oils.
    In a medium bowl, add the cream cheese, parmesan cheese, and garlic, and mix well. If you like a lot of heat you can add those seeds and chopped up membrane back into the cream cheese mixture.
    Crush the bacon with your hands and add to the mixture and stir until well blended.
    Spray a cookie sheet with Pam or similar oil.
    Using a spoon, mound the cream cheese mixture into the jalapeno pepper and top with a sprinkle of cheddar cheese. Push the cheese into to the cream cheese mixture so it sticks.
    Place the stuffed jalapeno popper on the cookie sheet and continue until all the peppers are filled.
    Place cookie sheet in the middle of your oven and bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until the tops are golden brown.

sand chick
    Core the jalepenos.. then rinse to get all of the left in seeds
    Mix the shredded cheese and the cream cheese together
    Roll a small amount of cheese mix in the palm of your hand and insert into jalepenos, filling to the top
    Wrap each jalepeno with one bacon slice... we didn't use tooth picks to hold bacon on.. but it would have been a little better
    Put on a sheet of foil on the grill and cook until bacon is crispy.. or not if you don't like crispy bacon..

RAGDOLL MX

Mango Tart

By RAGDOLL MX, in Dune Food,

Prepare pastry:
    Preheat oven to 400°F.
    Unfold pastry sheet on a greased baking sheet, then turn over (to prevent creases from splitting during baking). Trim edges with a sharp knife. Brush pastry lightly with egg (do not allow to drip down sides). Create a 3/4-inch border all around by lightly scoring a line parallel to each edge of pastry (do not cut all the way through). Prick inner rectangle evenly with a fork, then sprinkle with 1 tablespoon sugar.
    Bake in lower third of oven 15 minutes, or until puffed and golden brown. Transfer to a rack and cool to room temperature.
    Make cream and cut mangoes while pastry bakes and cools:
    Whisk together sour cream, cream cheese, remaining 3 tablespoons sugar, and zest.
    Thinly slice mangoes lengthwise with a mandoline or other manual slicer or a sharp knife (be careful because peeled mango is slippery), then halve wide slices lengthwise.

Assemble tart:
    Just before serving, spread cream over inner rectangle of pastry and top with mangoes, folding decoratively.

EY3BA11
    Montreal chicken seasoning on the chicken and a little Lawry's seasoning salt flop them on the george foreman done in 10 min aprox.
    Cook rice..
    Cook steamed veggies by directions.
    Prep time 5 min ( trimmin the t*ts )
    Cook Time 10 min ( everything goes on at once )
    delicious meal in 15 min  And somewhat healthy. Damn did i just say that me eat healthy hahaha..
    Add teriyaki sauce if you want to make your own teriyaki bowl type concoction.

Warrior07
    Type of Meal: lunch, dinner
    Just figured this would be a good addition after making it last night i thought hey this would be perfect to take for a dinner at the D since the recipe makes two pies !!

ahh Hell you can add any of your favorite spices this is just how i make it 
    MIX ingredients and place in a pan and brown meat !

after cooking drain the filling in a strainer !
    Next covering .
    4 cups of grated cheese!
    2 eggs
    8 slices of bacon !
    cook the bacon to your crispness and crumble to your liking and set aside !
    mix eggs and cheese together
    Then fill deep dish pie shells with filling make sure you get the doughy kind !

second cover pie with the cheese mixture, and then sprinkle bacon on top !
    as for non dairy eaters the lower pics will show a non dairy dish no cheese !
    pre heat oven to 400 f and cook on a baking safe cooking pan ! cook til crust is golden brown and cheese has a niceley covered melt and when done dig in i usually have mustard and ketchup on the side 

sand chick
    In a sauce pan cook the onion and garlic in the oil until tender. Stir in ketchup, apricot preserves, vinegar, pepper, steak sauce, chili powder and cumin. Bring to just boiling, reduce heat and simmer uncovered about 10 mins or until slightly thickened.
    Brush on ribs!
    This recipe covers 1/2 rack of pork ribs.
    I used two habaneros in mine, but we like it extra spicy around here!
    *** Remember to wash your hands after dicing the habenero before touching any part of your body, so you don't end up with burning red spots anywhere!

Kitcat
    Type of Meal: snack, lunch
    Directions (to make as a dip)
    Chop up crab meat (like in 1/2 inch pieces). Finely chop up a couple sticks of celery. Chop up about 1/2 to a full red onion (also finely chopped). Throw it all in a bowl and mix with a couple table spoons of mayo. Sprinkle in some black pepper.
    For a salad: Cook pasta noodles and let chill. Add them to the mixture. You'll need more mayo and the other ingredients.
    **Most of the things I make are not measured. I do it all by taste. This is super easy to make and always a hit at the dunes and at bbq's, too! 

KawasakiBob

Bacon Corn

By KawasakiBob, in Dune Food,

Type of Meal: lunch, dinner
    Dunno if you guys tried this, but we used to do this back in Wisconsin when we cooked corn on the cob on the manifolds of our vehicles in the winter...
    Basically, soak your corn in water for a few hours, then before you grill it, wrap it in bacon, then wrap again in tinfoil.
    When the corn is done the bacon can be pretty nasty, but the grease acts as both butter AND salt.
    Try it its awesome!