Lug Nut issue

ynot

I have to change tires to get the car in the garage and when I went to remove the Right tire 3 lug nuts came off with no problem. The other 2 started to move then just froze. Now they won't go forward or backwards. I got out a pry bar and they still didn't want to move. I was using an 1/2 impact. I didn't want to break the stud so I just squeezed it into the garage with one paddle still on. Anybody got any ideas how to get these to break loose? WD 40 or?

Sure Terry,

I'd try to soak em' with WD-40 for a day or so. Then TRY to remove em'.

However the odds are that you will be replacing the studs and nuts. I'm just sayin'. :rockwoot:

I'd order a few extra to keep in your trailer as spares too.

You might want to wipe a bit of grease on the studs before you assemble them next time.

Also, I never use an impact for these reasons, but many peeps have no problems doing so.

Good luck Y-nizzzle. :beercheers:

R-

:randog:

I have to change tires to get the car in the garage and when I went to remove the Right tire 3 lug nuts came off with no problem. The other 2 started to move then just froze. Now they won't go forward or backwards. I got out a pry bar and they still didn't want to move. I was using an 1/2 impact. I didn't want to break the stud so I just squeezed it into the garage with one paddle still on. Anybody got any ideas how to get these to break loose? WD 40 or?

WD40 is OK but "liquid wrench" or "PB blaster" might be a better penetrating oil, walmart has all 3. You want to do all the little tricks at once if you can so the lug doesn't get galled. spray some of what you have and wait 5 min or so and take a long drift punch (or a long 1/2" extension, etc) and as big a hammer as you have and strike the center of the lug straight on a good solid hit or 2 and spray some more oil on. Try to loosen it, if it starts to turn just a little but doesn't get easier to be safe spray some more oil and let it sit overnight and try it again. If it's still the same have your impact ready and heat the lug with a acetylene torch, a little propane one if that's all you have access to but as much heat as you can quickly so as little heat as possible transfers and expands the stud too. Sometimes it will take a heating, strike it with a hammer and more oil. Whatever you do if it starts turning and after an 1/8th a turn or so it doesn't get easier or especially if it gets harder to turn stop before it gets galled and ruins the stud also. You may have to use an angle grinder if all else fails or a big breaker bar and pipe ext to break the stud and just replace it if it's easier than messing around with it. From now on use anti-sieze on the studs. good luck and post back what finally worked or what you did.

Air impact or electric. If air, how many cu.ft. does your compresor put out and what pressure? Are you using an extension on your impact? Might be low air pressure on a tough nut or an extension loses some of the touque for me!

Personally I would put a big breaker bar on them and snap them off. Replace the studs and do the anti seize thing next time.

Edited by SANDAWG

More than likely you will just have to snap the studs by forcing the lug nuts off one way or another. This happened to one of mine once. And like Lee said, definitley put some anti-seize on the studs before you put them back on next time.

There is a product called Aero Krill (sp) that is a good pernetrating oil or liquid wrench. Might try putting some heat to them too with a propane torch. Put anti-sieze on them when you re-install. Been using it for years on boat trailer wheels and never have a problem getting them off.

Chris

Just take a 3 or 4 ft breaker bar and snap it off slowly. I doubt it is going to come off with grease and you will save yourself a lot of time and energy. My last car did it and i just put a couple new studs and called it a day. I just worked it slowly till it snapped off

Capt

There is a product called Aero Krill (sp) that is a good pernetrating oil or liquid wrench. Might try putting some heat to them too with a propane torch. Put anti-sieze on them when you re-install. Been using it for years on boat trailer wheels and never have a problem getting them off.

Chris

That was what I was going to mention. I have some at home. I love it. Had to use on my Wave Runner after it sat at the river awhile and got a flat. There was no way I was getting the lug nuts off. Aero Krill and a cheater bar worked wonders. My ex used on Airplanes for some reason.

This is the only place that an idiot like me can ask a mechanical question and get a majority of answers that make it sound perverted! Thanks for the help I did get the lug nuts off, both studs are shot, 1 snapped and the other is useless. I did take the advice anbout the liquid wrench etc and that definetily helped but overall it was pretty much just wrote the studs off and did what I had to do to get the lugs free. Thanks for all your help and I am proud to amongst such a great group of sicko's!! :headbang1::headbang1: