vw motor sizes

draggindre

ok does anyone know how to find out what size the motor is i got these numbers of the block

AS41 000101102

Block numbers only relate to the block, could have a few different cranks (stroke length)and cylinders (bore diameter). You might be able to take a straight length of wire through the spark plug hole and slowly turn the engine over by hand (ratchet on the crank pulley bolt) to get an idea of the stroke, can't think of anything at the moment for the bore except measure the outside of the cylinders and guessing at the cylinder wall thickness, been too long since the vw days. Somebody here probably will have an idea.

Unfortunately you have to break the motor in half to see what you really have. You can take off just one head and on the top of the piston they inscribed the size of the piston on it. It's on the side very close to the wall of the cylinder. Use a wire brush to clean off the carbon build up to see it. If you can see that then you can get an idea if it is stock or modified. Also just looking at the heads once removed can tell you alot. If it has been cut to a larger size and what valves you have can also be an indicator.

Also, if I remember correctly the AS41 case is a mexican made case. Go to www.thesamba.com alot of good info there.

Edited by bp-guy

Unfortunately you have to break the motor in half to see what you really have. You can take off just one head and on the top of the piston they inscribed the size of the piston on it. It's on the side very close to the wall of the cylinder. Use a wire brush to clean off the carbon build up to see it. If you can see that then you can get an idea if it is stock or modified. Also just looking at the heads once removed can tell you alot. If it has been cut to a larger size and what valves you have can also be an indicator.

Also, if I remember correctly the AS41 case is a mexican made case. Go to www.thesamba.com alot of good info there.

yeah the case is mexican made thanx for the info ill go the that sight nd see what i can find

? bore squared not bore radius (bore/2) squared? It's been awhile :MBdance:

no, what is said is correct. no radius involved. bore (9.2cm) x bore (9.2cm) x stroke (8.2cm) x pi (3.14) =

2180cc (as an example) thats a motor with 92mm pistons and crank of stroke of 82mm

make life easy and do as above 1. find the stroke by putting wire or screw driver into spark plug hole and find

the distance the crank moves from top to bottom 2. can take off head and measure size of piston diameter

might be able to estimate piston size by measuring barrel closest to engine block. problem here is barrels may have different thickness, so is an estimate

personally, I would tear the motor apart anyway and rebuild it. they are not to hard to build with the right tools and make real real sure you do your tolerances since it is an air-cooled motor and doesn't like to much slop.

go for it :DDRrocks:

Does the motor have electronic ignition? If so the best way to set timing is run it up to about 3500 rpm or so, making sure the distributor has let the mechanical advance kick in then set your timing with a light to about 28 degrees total advance.

Does the motor have electronic ignition? If so the best way to set timing is run it up to about 3500 rpm or so, making sure the distributor has let the mechanical advance kick in then set your timing with a light to about 28 degrees total advance.

nope isnt electronic its the old points system

i might tear down the engine this summer but im not sure yet cause she runs fine now i just need to adjust the timing cause she pops and backfires a lil but still moves along :think:

popping and backfire is usually the exhaust header bolts are loose or if dual webers, there is sand in idle jets. since you have points, put new points and condenser in it, set the static timing per vw and you are done. could be any or all of the three. do them all, only cost a few bucks. :think:

Welcome to the wonderful world of VW's!! I beat the crap out of my 2276 motor and it ran for over 8 years. Take care of it and it will take care of you.

Edited by bp-guy

• 1 month later...

ok does anyone know how to find out what size the motor is i got these numbers of the block

AS41 000101102

take a head off

measure the bore of the cylinder

bring the piston to tdc

make a scribe mark

bring the piston to btc

measure from the top of the piston to the scribe mark

That's your stroke

e-mail Phil @ Doghouse the stroke & the bore

I'll tell you the size

69 stroke x 85.5 is a 1600

69 x 87 is 1641

many other sizes are possible

Don't concern yourself with the engine manufacturing number so much as the engine build number found just below the oil fill stand.

If it starts with an A for example, it is a very buildable block.

www.doghouserepair.com & www.doghouseengines.com

Phil

not realy poping and back fireing anymore she is running great had her at the d last weekend and she ran great but she at the end of my last run it tried to stay running after i killed the switch so i need to look in to that now. thanx for all the good info guys.