JODI'S first trip to Coral Pink

~JILL~

I had taken Friday off of work, just so I could get one extra day in..the anticipation had been killing me..I had been wanting to go to Coral Pink for the last three years!

We left at 4:30ish..caught up with a driving partner and good friend Richie, at the little cafe by the speedway...highly recommended.. I had the Buffalo Chicken Wraps..

We took the Cane Feild Road (or whatever its called) :beercheers::beercheers: worst road I have ever been on.. makes Dumont Road look like the 95!! And now our heater rattles like a generator!! And to think I thought peeps were over exaggerating.. :lol: Go around..it doesn't take that much more time.. considering the wear and tear on your hauler, truck, and teeth!

We did almost hit a cow on this road though..but it was dark, so no good pic! :laughing: it was the only cow we saw this weekend..

We honked as we past Richie, staying in the campground.. we headed off towards the Meadows..made it there around 10:00ish.. I had been hoping to see it during the day..Unload and off to bed!

Got up bright and early Friday morning.. before sun up..still cant see a damn thing.. :shout: Hurry up sun and rise already!!!!! :laughing:

The Meadow is smaller then I thought it would be.. I don't know how you get groups in there for the big weekends!! Mike said that it was bigger before, but they took part of it away. It looked about the same size as our camp on Halloween!! There were a couple of other camps there, maybe 10 or 11 singles or small groups..

I make some breakfast burrtios as the sun begins to rise.. and light is finally being shed on this beautiful place.. Mike gets the quad and Kawaha..Yammasaki..uhhh.. Speed Demon. ready and prepped.

I am of course coming out of the hauler every few minutes to take pic of the sunrise.. When it finally clears the horizon a shines it beams across the land.. I look out on what has got to be one of the most beautiful places I have ever seen.. :pics::lol:

Mike mentions that its a good thing we arent staying in the campground, cause we would not have been able to ride at 7am! You have to stay quiet until 9am!! What? the best rides are before that!!!

Wellllllll.... the first ride out wasn't to successful.. I will let Mike go into that one! :lol:

While Mike is dealing with his issue.. I pop in "The Lord of the Rings" Which beccomes the movie triology of the weekend.. :laughing:

Ok ready to go! Everything is fine and dandy again!! :laughoff:

We hit the trail and head to the campground to see if Richie wants to go for a ride.. We play on our way over there in the pink hued sand, I am glad I have learned to ride better this season.. the riding is really more techincal then I had anticipated. I am having to keep a good throttle going, cause of the sand, slippery powdery, beautiful sand! Mike does stall the machine once, and buries it.. dig it out.. and continue on our way now that we have found the trail goiing into the campgrounds..

Oh yeah... And I needed to buy a Utah sticker, my green sticker out of date, but accepted if it wasn't.. Green and nonresident stickers are all accepted! :laughoff: The rangers at the station are all very friendly and helpful! They have a cool little set up inside to look at which includes "Sands of America" collection.. pretty cool!

We continue on to the campground and Richie wants to go for a ride, so we play on the dunes until its time for lunch..you have to be very very carful in the dunes.. well actually on the trails to..cause if you are not paying complete attention to what you are doing.. poof.. DROP OFF!!!!!!!!!

Back to the hauler for lunch, let the pups all out and watch another section of "Lord of the Rings"

Head back out, this time Mike and I stick to the trails.. Everytime we stop.. I see something else that is incredible to take a picture of.. the colors, trees, clouds, sky, everything looks like it has been painted..

Well... its time to take a work break!! :laughoff: sooooo stay tuned for pics, lots of them..and the story will continue with a side dump..REDNECK scary story...and more fun times...

post-2396-1241441185_thumb.jpg

Edited by sand chick

We had a great time. On first trip out the fuel pump locked up on the rhino. That was a pain in the azz but got it figured out and when I got back to camp it was a quick fix. Other wise that thing was a blast. Took alot of getting used to. I will let Jodi tell the rest.

guys taking turns telling stories...HOW CUTE :beercheers: glad you guys had a blast Jodi and Mike....

someday i will make it there

OH NO. I will let her tell the story. I just had to explain the break down issue. This new Rhino of mine has only been out twice prior to me getting it so It was almost a shke down run. I will have to keep messing with it to get it to my liking, but it won't take much. I will put up a few pics though.

post-911-1241452856_thumb.jpg

post-911-1241452924_thumb.jpg

post-911-1241453041_thumb.jpg

Edited by malibu vlx

Ok so the saga continues... (breaktime at work)

We got a ton of ride time in on Friday! Mike spend some time trying to get his bearings, it had been a while since he had been there as well! He was really looking for some trails that take you to some petroglyphs. We dropped down this hill and there was a road there with a travel trailer and a bunch of chairs around a huge fire pit.. kinda gave me heebie geebies.. I joked the rest of the day about the Devil Worshipers coming to get us in the night!! :beercheers::beercheers:

As the sunsets on day one of the Coral Pink trip.. Mike and I sit around our firepit.. you have to have your fire in a container there and the ranger said they were handing out tickets for having your fire on the ground.

The rangers that had come by during the day had all been way cool and friendly, asked lots of questions and had lots of answers.

We recap our day, talk about what the plans for tomorrow would be, and just in general life topics. Watch the pups play around the fire and head off to bed to watch a bit more of the "Lord of the Rings"

During the night.. we were awakened.. not by the freaky Devil Worshipers that I swear were down that hill.. but by the pattering of rain drops on the hauler. By the time we arose the next morning the rain had stopped and we were ready to hit the sand.

It was a little bit colder.. but for the most part the weather was AWESOME!

Darn it.. break time is over... finish at lunch! :laughing:

We had a great time. On first trip out the fuel pump locked up on the rhino. That was a pain in the azz but got it figured out and when I got back to camp it was a quick fix. Other wise that thing was a blast. Took alot of getting used to. I will let Jodi tell the rest.

What was the problem with the fuel pump. did you rejet the carb or is it Injected? How well did it get up the hill from the meadows on the main steep road?

thanks!

What was the problem with the fuel pump. did you rejet the carb or is it Injected? How well did it get up the hill from the meadows on the main steep road?

thanks!

I think the problem with the fuel pump was that it had sat around for to long and had some sort of sediment in it. It is injected so no re-jet. It would go as fast as I wanted out of the meadow. I was hitting fourth gear up the big hill. I have re-jetted my quads for up there before and it helps a bit. Jodis quad ran pretty good but it is bone stock. It loaded up a few times whae we were just putting around but did well otherwise with no re-jet.

Ok so where was I? :laughing:

Oh yeah!!

So with the nights rain, the sand was a little more grabby.

So off we went for our morning ride..

We are cruising along and i am getting more and more confident, hopping up into third and fourth gears..

Welllllll... I guess Coral Pink decided I needed to not get over confident in myself and decided to take me down a notch..

I am following Mike around this loop, it has one of those tall edges, for those that have been to Coral you know what I am talking about, I watch Mike kinda hop over it at a weird angle.. so logic says go out it at an angle and not straight up and over.. BAD CHOICE!! Where I went at an angle there was a nice stump/tree branches kinda thing.. you'll see in the pics later.. I had to make a quick stop and turn or run head on into the branch thing..oops over on its side.. my boot catchs the seat on the way off and now my baby has its first riding wound :( got a small cut on my leg.. no biggie! Could have been worse.. then I broke my flag trying to get her unstuck! :lol:

We hit the trail for the petroglyphs and Mike remembers that the machine is too wide to go down that trail.. so we turn around and head back.. now the way we go back we have to pass the "Devil Worshiper" camp in the woods.. this time there are people there... :laughoff::laughoff: they have there chairs all set up in rows, you can tell that there is going to be some kind of event.. there is an alter made out of pine tree branches..

We stop to take a video of Mike going up the hill and I want to take off my sweatshirt it was getting warm.. and I see them start to head in our direction.. this makes me very nervous..I glance back and I swear to you I heard the dueling banjos song playing in the background!! :pics::laughoff: They come up and talk to Mike about the machine and tell us they are having a weddin right there in the woods.. Mike takes off so i can do a video of him going up the hill and LEAVES ME WITH THEM!!!! :ah: It was a scene right out of Deliverence! I start praying that my quad starts and it does and jet out of there as fast as I can!!!!!

We then found a PERFECT spot for catching some air!! :beercheers::laughing:

The rest of the weekend we just spent hanging out, riding and riding, and playing with the pups and finally finishing the whole "Lord of the Rings" series.

It was an awesome weekend!!

And Jill.. good call on that sheet and clips trick!! We did that as well and the heater didn't run nearly as long and we saved alot of gas that way!! :lol::beercheers:

More pics when I get home, including some sneaked of the Hillbillies! :laughing:

The trip seemed to be a good one. Did you have the place to yourselves or just you and the devil worshipers??? Never been but will do some day.

There were about 10 - 11 singles and small groups in the meadow and the campground was full.. a light crowd for sure, I couldn't imagine what its like on a big weekend! Highly recommended! But I wanna return on a non big weekend! It reminded me alot of the Oregon Dunes with the sandy trails and trees!

Took me a minute to figure out what in the world your talking about. Sheet & Clips? We do that alot in the winter, saves gas and batteries. Glad it worked for ya.

That had to be one of the best trailer tips I have ever gotten. Made it so much nicer. Thanks Jill.

That had to be one of the best trailer tips I have ever gotten. Made it so much nicer. Thanks Jill.

I have been there on a big weekend. Memorial Weekend a couple of years ago. I will never do that again.

It is insane and people are packed together like sardines. Naturally you have people riding around the meadows and the dust was intolerable.

So I am going in a couple of weeks before the weekend. I think the little buggy will do just fine as well as the Rhino now that Mike has cleared up my one worry. NO paddles on the Rhino, just really low air pressure and wider wheels for more flotation. The sand is fine and FYI, the fine sand will go right through a K and N Filter so this is one time a foam filter is better.

Also for those that like to trail ride there are miles and miles of trails around the dunes. Can be a weeks trip with no problem!!!

Glad you guys had a great time! :beercheers:

I am soooo jonezin' now!! Coral is my absolute FAVORITE place to ride. I can't wiat to go back :duniemonkie:

Hell girl, plan it, don't just talk about it!!! :hatdance: I' m up for a trip just about anytime to Coral! Except during the Monsoon season, late summer. They get some hellacious Thunder storms in that area!! A couple of years ago two newer trucks had their computers blown out during one of those storms by a lighting strike in the meadows. Not a cheap tow out of there!!!

Take care! :beercheers:

Ok time for some pics!!

This kinda freaked us out on the way out.. Richie popped into the other lane and it looked like there was a semi coming right at us! :ah:

post-2396-1241480518_thumb.jpg

Sunrise on day one :laughoff:

post-2396-1241480631_thumb.jpg

Camp

post-2396-1241480762_thumb.jpg

Scenary Shots....

post-2396-1241480674_thumb.jpg

post-2396-1241480715_thumb.jpg

post-2396-1241480822_thumb.jpg

post-2396-1241480858_thumb.jpg

post-2396-1241480917_thumb.jpg

post-2396-1241481004_thumb.jpg

post-2396-1241481055_thumb.jpg

post-2396-1241481132_thumb.jpg

post-2396-1241481204_thumb.jpg

post-2396-1241481273_thumb.jpg

post-2396-1241481329_thumb.jpg

post-2396-1241481388_thumb.jpg

post-2396-1241481443_thumb.jpg

post-2396-1241481537_thumb.jpg

post-2396-1241481631_thumb.jpg

post-2396-1241481687_thumb.jpg

post-2396-1241481739_thumb.jpg

post-2396-1241481785_thumb.jpg

Edited by sand chick

Devil Worshiper/Wedding camp and the Deliverence boys... :thumb: :smoker:

post-2396-1241482213_thumb.jpg

post-2396-1241482275_thumb.jpg

This was actually the wedding background.. :blink:

post-2396-1241482326_thumb.jpg

I swear he told Mike he had a purty mouth!! :lol:

post-2396-1241482399_thumb.jpg

Dressed up for the weddin..

post-2396-1241482466_thumb.jpg

post-2396-1241482516_thumb.jpg

post-2396-1241482551_thumb.jpg

I still can't believe he left me down there with them.. :thumb::laughoff:

Edited by sand chick

GREAT pics as usual, Jodi. :smoker:

Sounds like it was a perfect weekend up there. You're pics have me jonzen as well. Hopefully Anna & I can do a trip before Labor Day weekend, otherwise that will prob be our next chance to get up there. Gotta get some other travel plans in first. :laughoff::yiah:

fuggin devil worshipers. wtf!? :thumb:

GREAT pics as usual, Jodi. :smoker:

Sounds like it was a perfect weekend up there. You're pics have me jonzen as well. Hopefully Anna & I can do a trip before Labor Day weekend, otherwise that will prob be our next chance to get up there. Gotta get some other travel plans in first. :laughoff::yiah:

fuggin devil worshipers. wtf!? :thumb:

Go back and look at the post I edited and added the pics.. you'll see..

Nernernernerner ner ner ner ner... Dueling Banjo music!! :thumb:

Thanks.. still more to come..

We want to try another trip back in June!

Edited by sand chick

Go back and look at the post I edited and added the pics.. you'll see..

Nernernernerner ner ner ner ner... Dueling Banjo music!! :thumb:

Thanks.. still more to come..

We want to try another trip back in June!

hahaaaaa holy crap! :?: :thumb: :thumb: :blink:

yikes!

Not that I'd have a WEDDING there, but that area (in those pics) under those big azz trees near the cattle/ corrals is super cool to stop for a beer :lol: soda break. :laughoff: :smoker: