Amargosa dunes (MAN DIES)

sndruner213

:( For starters let mee say im very sorry to hear about our fellow rider and dunner Mike and to his wife and family sorry for your loss but at least he went doing somthing he loved to me there is no other way to go ! Second ive have heard time and time again about bad accidents out at amargosa dunes and its seems to me that this ghost story is coming up more and more. Let me explain , I keep hearing that there is this ghost fence just to the south of the main dune and or comp hill just out into the small stuff and going all the way around to the fare west side, i have talked to many riders who all say the same thing that they were just riding along and then wham out of know where there over the bars and a face full of sand . Some say that they have receved broken arms or shoulders or even legs . Personally im begining to think that this is :2cents: how is it that so many of us are getting hurt from this and yet noone and i mean noone has even seen the damn thing. Now I dont know for shure where mike was riding at but I sure and the hell hope this is not another ghost fence incident that is now claiming lives and not just injories . Im not asking for everyone to go out there and have a mad search for it but is there anything we can do to maby try to prevent this from happening again or is there anyone out there that knows of this ghost fence who can give us some insite on it ? :blah::blury:

YOUR FELLOW DUNNER

SNDRUNER213

Ghost fence? :?:

I've never heard of it, but at the same time I have only been to Gosa 1 time. I'm not very superstitious, but it sounds like something a bunch of newbie duners came up with. Nor does it sound like what Mike's buddy, Curtis described to me. From the sounds of it, Mike was going down a big dune and not along a trail when he had his unfortunate accident. So I doubt it is the same spot these people are talking about.

Back on the subject of me not being superstitious... I don't mean to come off like some tool, but come on. If you are riding along and all of a sudden "wham out of no where you over the bars and a face full of sand"??? That usually means one thing....you are riding above your limits. As many of the guys I ride with know, I love riding fast. BUT...at the same time I never ride faster than I can judge the terrain ahead of me. I usually only push it real hard in areas I know well and even then, I only go as fast as I can see ahead of me in order to stop in time if something comes up.

Good judgement is everything in riding. It's hard, but you just have to know when to slow down sometimes.

Stories like Mike's will hoepfully only be a reminder to everyone to be EXTRA careful every time out. It's a dangerous sport but we can always play it safe.

BTW, here's the original topic on this accident ;)http://www.dumontduneriders.com/invision/i...showtopic=11552

I have covered pretty much all of Gosa this year.. never seen nor heard of a "ghost fence" Mike knows this place like the back of his hand, I doubt he has ever heard of it either, I am most certian he would have warned me to stay away from the fence when I have lead girlies out for a ride...

I am also pretty sure that Kayla :blury: would have mentioned something about it a long long time ago, if there was any truth to it....

I think someone is trying to pull your leg with an urban legend...

Edited by sand chick

I am also pretty sure that Kayla would have mentioned something about it a long long time ago, if there was any truth to it....

Truth to what, a ghost, wtf? You would first have to believe in "Ghosts" right? Anyway, lets look at the situation. Your telling me that Amarshithole has it's own Bermuda triangle? So anyone that rides at that spot eats crap? This is how I see it...............Amargossa is as big is my back yard, coincidentally peeps crash in the same general area. That would tell me that maybe that spot is the most technical and thats why peeps crash there because they are caught of guard or underskilled......not a ghost fence.

I go to Amargosa all the time and have never heard of a ghost fence. I do know that the dunes change their so much that i never know what i'm coming up on as far as drop offs or witches eyes. Amargosa is very dangerous and should not be taken for granted. Most of the people i dune with have ate sh** there due to the sun and speed.

might be soft spots, in glamis over by china wall this is a common occurance. it just sinks front tire digs in and over the bars you go. its happened to alot of bike riders in that area including my son he hates the ride to the wall. maybe there are some similar spots . ?? :blury:

by all means im not trying to imply anything or dout anyone riding skills like i said before this is somthing i keep hearing over and over again and your probably right its just an urban legand which has now been laid to rest !!! :blury: thx guys for your imput

I ride Amaragosa a lot. I've never seen or heard anything about a ghost fence. I'm very sorry for Mike's wife and family loss.

That being said I was my side in the RZR Monday before I knew what hit me. The only way I'm going know if I can climb a steep and difficult rutted hill is to try it and I've climbed worst. This time it bit back. If I'd been on a bike or quad I've no doubt I've have gotten hurt. Both I and RZR got anyway with minor damage so I was lucky. Sometimes you are not.

I didn't know Mike but I doubt he ran out of skill although we all have at some point. I doubt it was a ghost fence. We should not even go there. Unfortunately stuff happens and we aren't always lucky. It wasn't Mike's idea to stay in bed with the covers over his head. Neither is it ours.

God bless him and look over his family.

Eli