My first upgrades

sand chick

Ok so I am finally ready for my first upgrade!!! :beercheers:

Thanks to Charlie and Mike, I have new tires to try out on Halloween weekend!!

Hoefully this will help me to turn at the faster speeds that I have recently found! :whoop:

I have a feeling that this is going to be the beginning of emptying my pockets :dope: :headspin:

Now to get em out and try them in the sand!!

post-2396-1256426491_thumb.jpg

post-2396-1256426518_thumb.jpg

post-2396-1256426544_thumb.jpg

post-2396-1256426561_thumb.jpg

I wonder what will be next?? :laughoff:

I have some shiny ITP rims with sand tires for the front you can have. I bought them for a project but it didnt work out so I dont need them. The tires aren't great but the rims are polished. I will be out at halloween or I can meet somewhere locally to give to you. Let me know.

I have some shiny ITP rims with sand tires for the front you can have. I bought them for a project but it didnt work out so I dont need them. The tires aren't great but the rims are polished. I will be out at halloween or I can meet somewhere locally to give to you. Let me know.

She said she will happily and gratefully take them.

Congrats...remember to run about 3-4 psi front and rear...those rears are heavy tires, so stay on the throttle at the tops of the dunes and in the soft stuff or they are going to sink. You should definately be able to tell a difference now, just be careful not to crash while getting use to them ;) .

Next...upgrade your exhaust and intake :surrender:

You should definately be able to tell a difference now, just be careful not to crash while getting use to them ;) .

I am a little worried about that too.. :surrender: :laughing:

I don't want to start getting over confident, I am going to take it easy and work my way into them!

i like that upgrade sticker you have on your back breaklight.... nice touch!!

might as well put an astroglide sticker on your rear fender :old:

You like that? :banghead:

Makes for some GREAT conversation starters out in the dunes as well!! :idea:

I actually finally added some DDR stickers to her and took off the tank graphics! :lol: Verde Power Sports!! That would NEVER make it right!

I wonder how heavy my old ones were :beercheers::think:

hmmm....Probably pretty close to your old ones anyway... :pumpkin: what you were running.

Just keep the PSI down and you will get around just fine, these just have a different style paddle so they will turn and slide a little differently...not too much since you stayed with a molded V paddle and didn't switch to something completely different like a hauler straight paddle. Those V style paddles do turn better than straight paddles, but they don't climb up the dunes as well so you will still have to work to get up the steep soft stuff and over the razors...so just go faster!! :laughing:

You should be able to tell a difference in the front, those will stay on top of the sand better than the dirt tires and you will be able to turn better.

I started with the same set up on my z400 2 years ago, I switched before last season and I was actually surprised at the difference just a tire could have. :thumb:

Were you using dirt tires before?

She had dirts on the fronts and paddles on the rear. Her riding skills have improved, so now she is basically fighting the bike to be able to get even better.

Edited by Foxysandchick

hmmm....Probably pretty close to your old ones anyway... :pumpkin: what you were running.

For FREE it was an awesome deal!! :thumb: Thanks again Charlie and Mike!! :think:

Yes Dunlop dirts in the front and Dune Shredders in the rear.

I noticed a big difference the last time Mike and I went out and I was able to keep up with the boys in the rails going in third and fourth gear runs... until I had to turn... and it just won't turn, the fronts dug in and the back slid around with me throwing my wieght over pretty hard.. but the fronts just dug in, and I would start to tip instead of turn. So the boys started to pull away from me every turn, cause I would have to slow it down way down to turn without tipping.

Yes, last year at this time I would maybe get it out of second gear on occasion, you know like the flats :beercheers: I wanted to ride, I just didn't have anyone to show me how to do it, and what I was doing wrong, I would spend my time getting stuck, I would drop down side hills cause I would freak out everytime the rear started to slide, I would go around razors, cause I was afraid to go over them, I would wait for people to go on kiddie rides cause then I knew I could keep up without holding everyone back. Then I had someone show me what I was doing wrong, such as leaning into the hill and how to roll razors (the biggest thing) that I needed to get my a$$ off of the seat, how to shift my weight around. The razors, I just found small ones and practiced and practiced and practiced just like one of the kids.. back and forth one the finger dune...Easter weekend, after Fridays wind, we got up early as usual 7ish and hit the dunes, just Cory, Mike (in the rail) and myself (it was still the BEST run ever)and when we went out in June were the best razor rolling practice times.... practice... practice... practice...

Now I am really looking forward to trying out the new tires... Mike also did something to my air filter as well. And tried something with my stock exhaust, but he said whatever he did to the exhaust made it run like :poop: so I think I will start saving for a new exhaust... hmmmmm.... Dad: What do you want for Christmas this year? Me: A new exhaust for my quad!! :laughing:

For FREE it was an awesome deal!! :pumpkin: Thanks again Charlie and Mike!! :thumb:

Yes Dunlop dirts in the front and Dune Shredders in the rear.

I noticed a big difference the last time Mike and I went out and I was able to keep up with the boys in the rails going in third and fourth gear runs... until I had to turn... and it just won't turn, the fronts dug in and the back slid around with me throwing my wieght over pretty hard.. but the fronts just dug in, and I would start to tip instead of turn. So the boys started to pull away from me every turn, cause I would have to slow it down way down to turn without tipping.

Yes, last year at this time I would maybe get it out of second gear on occasion, you know like the flats :beercheers: I wanted to ride, I just didn't have anyone to show me how to do it, and what I was doing wrong, I would spend my time getting stuck, I would drop down side hills cause I would freak out everytime the rear started to slide, I would go around razors, cause I was afraid to go over them, I would wait for people to go on kiddie rides cause then I knew I could keep up without holding everyone back. Then I had someone show me what I was doing wrong, such as leaning into the hill and how to roll razors (the biggest thing) that I needed to get my a$$ off of the seat, how to shift my weight around. The razors, I just found small ones and practiced and practiced and practiced just like one of the kids.. back and forth one the finger dune...Easter weekend, after Fridays wind, we got up early as usual 7ish and hit the dunes, just Cory, Mike (in the rail) and myself (it was still the BEST run ever)and when we went out in June were the best razor rolling practice times.... practice... practice... practice...

Now I am really looking forward to trying out the new tires... Mike also did something to my air filter as well. And tried something with my stock exhaust, but he said whatever he did to the exhaust made it run like :poop: so I think I will start saving for a new exhaust... hmmmmm.... Dad: What do you want for Christmas this year? Me: A new exhaust for my quad!! :laughing:

And then... upgrades keep going

You can get a decent slip on exhaust for about $200-250 new :laughing: . He probably took the lid off the air box, make sure your filter is cleaned after every trip! You can get a better filter set-up for about $30-50. When you do those things you will have to re-jet your carb, which is pretty easy and jets are like $2 a piece.

Start saving your pennies :beercheers:

a slip-on really doesnt help you need a full pipe i have a front bumper laying around if ur interested

Everyone has their opinion, but it's my opinion based on my own experiences that a slip on exhaust, intake and jetting would be sufficient for her riding style, she is not a racer or hill shooter. She loves cruising around the dunes and it just having a little trouble on the big, soft stuff. I've ridden with her a number of times and with the set-up she had/has she is fighting the bike to be able to get around and keep up following rails. I had the same issues when I started riding a few years ago.

I have a z400 with a HMF slip on, K&N intake, jetting, on haulers..we had another z400 set up the same but with a full Yoshi pipe and it was not any faster :laughing: they actually keep up with stock 450's.

I also have an ltr450 with a HMF slip on, K&N intake, pciii, on haulers.. it now goes up hills in 4th that it wouldn't pull 3rd when it was stock :beercheers: .

We also have an yfz450 with a full Yoshi, K&N intake and jetting, on haulers...they run pretty close and both beat a few bikes up the hill.. though we don't spend much time at the hill anyway.