Question for Duramax owners

racegirl04

What's the longest you would go percentage wise before you change your fuel filter? Mine's at 38% now, is 20% too long to wait?

I believe this is a preset manufature's suggestion. I'd run it all the way down to 0, if it hasn't given you any symptoms of a plugged filter. I've run biodiesel through them, and haven't had any issue yet. Personally though, I carry a spare in my vehicle just in case.

I change mine every 2-3 oil changes. There's no way I'd let mine get anywhere near 0% on the monitor.

40K Mike? :flipoff: I bet those people would think twice if they saw how much restriction that filter was causing. I remember Joe Duner went like 30 mi. I put a vacuum gauge on his fuel svc port and it was pulling like 20 inches of vacuum. :isbb: Max at idle should be 5.

I change mine every 2-3 oil changes. There's no way I'd let mine get anywhere near 0% on the monitor.

40K Mike? :flipoff: I bet those people would think twice if they saw how much restriction that filter was causing. I remember Joe Duner went like 30 mi. I put a vacuum gauge on his fuel svc port and it was pulling like 20 inches of vacuum. :isbb: Max at idle should be 5.

? How many miles are accumulated when the DIC says 0%?

?Does the % reading actually monitor the vacuum, or is it a mileage thing like the oil % is?

We change our filters every oil change, but occasionally 1 will plug. On the big rigs, a plugged filter is just that: low performance (low power) Never caused any damage, never saw a mpg drop; ran 2 engines to a million miles, with never an issue.

? How many miles are accumulated when the DIC says 0%?

?Does the % reading actually monitor the vacuum, or is it a mileage thing like the oil % is?

We change our filters every oil change, but occasionally 1 will plug. On the big rigs, a plugged filter is just that: low performance (low power) Never caused any damage, never saw a mpg drop; ran 2 engines to a million miles, with never an issue.

if its anything like the oil filter, it goes by how hard you work the engine, not by mileage. A guy i knew drove to Zona to pick up a 39 ft WW 5vr with a front slide. He had his oil changed before he left town. It was below 50% when he got back to bako

Wow :idiot: , I stand corrected. I was always under the impression that the oil % was a mileage thing. I checked my fuel filter % on the DIC, and it's at 40%. So am I safe to assume it's actually metering vacuum resistance, and not just mileage?

Andy this should answer your question.

This is straight from GM Service Information. :idiot:

Fuel Filter monitor...

"Starting in 2005 on vehicles equipped with the 6.6L Diesel engine have a new DIC message "Change Fuel Filter". Information about this message and how to reset it can be found on page 3-8 of the Diesel Supplement Owners Manual or SI Document ID # 1553021. The DIC will display "Fuel Filter Life Percent" on trucks equipped with RPO UK3 (Steering Wheel Controls). This feature will provide the percentage of fuel filter life remaining. The fuel filter life is based strictly off mileage. Once reset to 100 Percent it takes 15,000 miles for it to count down to 0 Percent and display "Change Fuel Filter" on the DIC."

As for the oil life monitor...

"When the system has calculated that oil life has been diminished, it will indicate that an oil change is necessary. A CHANGE ENGINE OIL SOON message will come ON. Change the engine oil as soon as possible within the next 1 000 km (600 miles). It is possible that, if driving under the best conditions, the oil life system may not indicate that an oil change is necessary for over a year. However, the engine oil and filter must be changed at least once a year and at this time the system must be reset.

If the system is ever reset accidentally, change the engine oil at 5 000 km (3,000 miles) since last oil change."

"Engine Oil Life

Engine Oil Life percentage values are based on class 2 messages to the IPC. The IPC requests this value when Engine Oil Life is selected on the DIC.

Engine Oil Life is capable of displaying values from 0-100 percent and the OIL LIFE RESET driver warning will be displayed.

Pressing the Select button for longer than 5 seconds while Engine Oil Life is displayed on the DIC the value will reset to 100 percent.

Display appears as ENGINE OIL LIFE: XXX%."

:idiot:

So in short:

fuel filter: based on mileage

oil life: based on calculations from driving conditions

^Smart people :idiot:

Just jokin. Thanks for a final answer! So do you personally think running your fuel filter down to 0%, or 15,000 miles, is running an unnecessary risk; assuming you aren't experiencing any symptoms of a plugged filter?

^Smart people :idiot:

Just jokin. Thanks for a final answer! So do you personally think running your fuel filter down to 0%, or 15,000 miles, is running an unnecessary risk; assuming you aren't experiencing any symptoms of a plugged filter?

I wouldn't. You risk doing damage to your motor if you happen to be towing or putting it under a heavy load when the filter finally plugs up. And who knows exactly when that might be? As SDA said, the fuel these days is so dirty you never know what you are getting.

I wouldn't go any more than 10-12K but that's just me. I like to over-maintain my vehicles. They last forever that way.