Truck sh*t talk

dunefreak

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

boost ofcourse...........my water /alky doesnt even come on till 25 or so. How else do you get a 5.9 inline 6 to make over 1000 ft lbs? It pulls a 50 ft enclosed....its 9600 lbs dead empty, ussually 23500 -25000 full of toys.

Ok. I thought someone said they got stuck in sand, then I hear 65psi. I thought....hummmm. Anyway, how do you adjust it? Chip only?

Ok. I thought someone said they got stuck in sand, then I hear 65psi. I thought....hummmm. Anyway, how do you adjust it? Chip only?

no chip at all. The last year of the 12 valve cummins was 98. Early 98 rams had the 12 v that is completely mechanical. The only electrical parts on the engine are the fuel on/off solinoid and the starter. You can actually convert the fuel solinoid to a cable very easily so the only electrical part is the starter. Mechanical injection, no glow plugs, I dont even run a manifld heater, it doesn t get that cold here. I dont even run a waist gate actually, My big turbo is an ht3b and its sized about perfect, Ido run a manifold blow off valve (water heater valve 12$) that is adjustable from 50 to 100, and I have it set at about 58. The turbo size is so close to perfect though that it climbs slow from 54 to 58 and it so far is ready for the next gear before it ever gets to the blow off, then falls to 50 or so and climbs back up then shift again. Its probably due to the stock exhuast manifold that isnt even ported, I d bet an ats or high tech turbo manifold would caus ethe boost to go higher.

I run a # 10 plate with 370 injectors witha 4000 gsk. Yes my cummins spins with no fuel cut to atleast around 4200 rpm. I ussually shift around 36-3700 when I need too.

no chip at all. The last year of the 12 valve cummins was 98. Early 98 rams had the 12 v that is completely mechanical. The only electrical parts on the engine are the fuel on/off solinoid and the starter. You can actually convert the fuel solinoid to a cable very easily so the only electrical part is the starter. Mechanical injection, no glow plugs, I dont even run a manifld heater, it doesn t get that cold here. I dont even run a waist gate actually, My big turbo is an ht3b and its sized about perfect, Ido run a manifold blow off valve (water heater valve 12$) that is adjustable from 50 to 100, and I have it set at about 58. The turbo size is so close to perfect though that it climbs slow from 54 to 58 and it so far is ready for the next gear before it ever gets to the blow off, then falls to 50 or so and climbs back up then shift again. Its probably due to the stock exhuast manifold that isnt even ported, I d bet an ats or high tech turbo manifold would caus ethe boost to go higher.

I run a # 10 plate with 370 injectors witha 4000 gsk. Yes my cummins spins with no fuel cut to atleast around 4200 rpm. I ussually shift around 36-3700 when I need too.

Impressive. Can I adjust my boost :DDRrocks: to give Bob some black smoke?

actually smoke is unburned fuel. I can drive all day with no smoke, or lug it (low rpm by upshifting early and lay into it. It dumps fuel based solely on the pedal, so if you mate it at 1500 rpm, it gets full fuel, and vola lots of smoke. The more boost, or really more air gets rid of smoke. By 2000 rpm it wont really smoke cause the boost goes past 40 around there.

more fuel = higher egt

More fuel= more smoke.

more air = lower egt

more air = less smoke

actually smoke is unburned fuel. I can drive all day with no smoke, or lug it (low rpm by upshifting early and lay into it. It dumps fuel based solely on the pedal, so if you mate it at 1500 rpm, it gets full fuel, and vola lots of smoke. The more boost, or really more air gets rid of smoke. By 2000 rpm it wont really smoke cause the boost goes past 40 around there.

more fuel = higher egt

More fuel= more smoke.

more air = lower egt

more air = less smoke

I got a new exhaust for Christmas. Going to put it on this week. Wouldn't mind a chip. Nothing crazy, simple "plug-n-play". No adjustments. Something simple.

what questions did you ask?

might try this one.....

is there an inexpensive way to increase my boost from my turbo???

I did. I posted a few threads and the only hits were on the exhaust and intake. Maybe i'll "bump" the thread. :laughing:

I am in there too "Bound4Dirt" but no real responses :idiot: All I hear is exhaust and intake. Which I did. Thanks for the link though.

Happy New Year!

Hey Bound4Dirt PM me, I can answer most of your questions. I have had the Banks Six Gun, The Edge Evolution and am now happiest with mu DP-Tuner 5 position chip. Way more power than both the other two even when they were stacked. If you just want all-out power, give Dp-tuner a try. They can re-program your PCM or you can add an adjustable chip. I am also on DieselStop as "lvnalolife".

I love all the ford vs chevy vs dodge arguments. Each one has their strong points. I like Chevy's and Dodges but chose my 7.3L Powerstroke for the deal and knowing that the motor is strong and proven. Too bad the 6.0's had so many problems. Dodge motors are great powerplants too, but they have their share of other problems too, just like chevy's. No truck is perfect, we all however like what we have. As long as the truck I chose can continue to get me to the dunes from now on, I will be happy. I had my tranny issues in the past and it looks like they have been handled (and to let you all know, it was the tranny shops fault as they could never get it right. I ended up with a Ford Reman and it has been working flawlessly ever since.) Even lifted on my 38x15.5's I still pull Potisi with my heavy a$$ trailer about 55-60mph. And that is just because I always try to keep my exhaust temps under 1250 just to be safe. I still have plenty of pedal to go.

I did. I posted a few threads and the only hits were on the exhaust and intake. Maybe i'll "bump" the thread. :stirthepot:

Have you looked at one of these? http://www.alligatorperformance.com/index....;ProductID=1556 Banks is getting a little stingy with information on there site, and don't advertise it as a product solely for sale. It is fully adjustable, but you will most likely get less smoke with the Big Head than with it stock. If you don't have guages, you will need to add them if you want to watch what kind of boost you have added, so you don't explode the turbo. If you want smoke, try a programmer, chip or module. They add fuel and timing and will get you power, smoke and mileage. Maybe not all at the same time though, lol.

yes the altitude will afect a diesel. the higher you go the less air it will get and with about 22 to 1 compression it wants air. so it will smoke more and have less power.

Interesting, all the shoot outs I saw saw different. I would do some research as I have and see what you come up with. I live at 4,000 ft asl and I notice only a small about of black smoke after 4" exhaust was installed and none really with stock.

Edited by Bound4Dirt