Google Latitude at Dumont

dunefreak

Anyone use Google Latitude on their smart phones? I just got mine all setup and I gotta say, this is really gonna come in handy out at D. Most importantly if a Latitude friend is broke down in the dunes you can bust out your phone and drive right towards them. No more, "we are in the bowl about 3 dunes kinda northeast of Talladega". laughing.gif

It will also come in handy when trying to hook up with others out there if they keep their phones on them and stay logged into Latitude. yiah-yiah.gif

So is this app called Google Latitude? I tried looking it up and could not find it under that.

Yeah. I think it was already installed on my phone so you should have it as well. When you go to your list of aps it's just called Latitude.

If you don't see it, open Maps > then click the settings button (far left key) > then Latitude pops up bottom center. You need to send out invites to your friends using their email address. I think it works with any email, but I used my gmail.

I got mine downloaded and installed/authenticated.

How do we get the phones to communicate now?

You just need to add your friends now. Text me your email address and I will add you.

When in map view, push the settings button, then latitude. Or you can just click that little notepad icon instead in the bottom left corner. Then push +friend button (top right). Add either from contacts or by email address. It will email the friend and they approve it. Then in the friend list they will either apprear right away or there is a friend approval button/bar at the top that appears.

This is all on the Droid/ Android so not sure about other phones. I know it works on Blackberrys and HTC's too.

• 4 weeks later...

how did it work in the dunes?

Not too well. It works great when you have good 3G signal, but that is very spotty out at D. I thought it only needed GPS to work. I think it's because it needs to access the internet for the satellite images for the map. undecided.gif

It is very accurate to your location WHEN you have good signal. Oh well. It's still fun to play with.

Not too well. It works great when you have good 3G signal, but that is very spotty out at D. I thought it only needed GPS to work. I think it's because it needs to access the internet for the satellite images for the map. undecided.gif

It is very accurate to your location WHEN you have good signal. Oh well. It's still fun to play with.

i sent you a text over the weekend, i was at the track, and looked on there and it showed you between the two finger dunes.

i sent you a text over the weekend, i was at the track, and looked on there and it showed you between the two finger dunes.

I only seen a general area. Hell you even seen the formation of finger dunes. I must have not been using it correctly. All I seen was a white screen with a name on it. Maybe next time.

jack, double check the settings and make sure you have satellite turned on as one of the layers. if not you will only see a "2d" generic map i believe.

I think you are right. I'm not sure the satellite view is checked by default.