calcium buildup in fresh water tanks

dunefreak

Is there anything you can put in the fresh water tanks to prevent calcium buildup? I usually don't let the tanks sit with water in them, but you can never drain them completely and calcium builds up in the water heater and fresh tanks.

Is there anything you can put in the fresh water tanks to prevent calcium buildup? I usually don't let the tanks sit with water in them, but you can never drain them completely and calcium builds up in the water heater and fresh tanks.

I only put bottled water in the tanks...lol maybe change your water source for fill ups...using a well???????

I used to have some sort of water conditioner for that. I think I got it at camping world. Do you drink from your water tank? I know you could pour some muratic acid in the water and let it eat up the calcium. Then drain and rinse a few times. Always worked on the tile saw pumps and lines.

A well? :lol:

No, just the city of henderson's finest hard a$$ water from my water spicket.

http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/item/suburban-anode-rod-replacement/42180

this takes the bad smell out of the water heater, A little bit of bleach in the fresh water tank as long as you don't drink it and you don't need a lot. They also have some stuff at camping world or j walkers;

http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/item/tastepure-spring-fresh/5374

I've done the bleach thing too.

Worked great for the smell in the water heater tank.

I just filled the fresh water with about 20 gallons, then added about a quart of bleach.

Flushed the cold and hot lines (all of them) but mostly the hot.

I used the outside shower for most of the flushing so I didn't fill the holding tanks so much.

I also flushes through the water heater with the hose hookup so I didn't burn out the pump.

Also do that often to prevent :assblast: water in the lines and tanks.

R-

:think: I read this post the other day and thought it was about Fresh water FISH Tanks. Until I have finally read the whole damn thing. Feel a little :blury: Right now.

:lol::slap: yeah put some bleach in with your fish, but only if you don't drink the water! :puke:

Its probably more spendy than you are looking for, but a water softener system, like the salt pebbles on the side of the house action... my neighbor has one, and he has never drained his pool in the 5 yrs he has lived there with the pool, no stains on the tile...mine on the other hand fuggin white stripes concert n shait

Holy Cow... I have seen threads go sideways but this takes the cake......Rv water tanks to fish bowls to swimming pools lol

whats next ?:ban-split::woopitydoo:

Capt

By the time this thread is over we will know how to clean all three!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Not Bad!!!!!!!!!!!

• 4 weeks later...

you need to check the drain plug on the water heater,it has an anode of magnesium on it and it slowly disolves over time. I live in the desert with very hard water my was gone in about 2 1/2 years. They are about $13 at any rv supply

• 2 weeks later...

Pete,

The easiest way to solve your problem is to add about 1-2 oz of citric acid to your tank every time you fill up. It is cheap and safe to use, muriatic acid is very strong and can damage your plumbing if you over-do it. The water you use is probably Colorado river water-which is high in PH and Ca/mg. Adding a little citric acid will buffer your water and keep the Calcium and Magnesium in solution.

Pete,

The easiest way to solve your problem is to add about 1-2 oz of citric acid to your tank every time you fill up. It is cheap and safe to use, muriatic acid is very strong and can damage your plumbing if you over-do it. The water you use is probably Colorado river water-which is high in PH and Ca/mg. Adding a little citric acid will buffer your water and keep the Calcium and Magnesium in solution.

Thanks bud!