Iphone with Verizon

Chadwick

OK, so Verizon has the iphone now and I'm curious to hear what people have to say about it. I've had AT&T with the iphone for several years now and have been wishing Verizon would carry it. Now that it does I want to know if it works better or worse than the AT&T version? I have not heard much about it since it came out in February and before I cancelled my service with AT&T I wanted to see if there were any bugs that needed to be worked out first. Anyone that has one please respond and let me know what you think. :blah:

No bugs iPhone 4 is fast as hell service everywhere even Dumont

AND they say u can't do data and a phone call same time but that's BS I did it today checked emails while on the phone.

So I'd say go for it or wait for new iPhone 5

But no bugs at all

I love it. The best phone I have ever bought. No bugs and the phone works great.

Just out of curiosity, did you happen to have the iphone on AT&T? Is the 3g coverage on AT&T just as fast as the 3g coverage on Verizon or are they about the same??

Yep, my Droid2 is super fast on 3G and gets killer signal out there. headbang1.gif

And as for wifi, so many places like restaurants and stuff have it now. I just started using mine when at the bar or wherever when I'm bringing up pics to show people and it is blazing fast over wifi. You'd be surprised how many places have strong wifi signal that is unlocked for public use.

I switched from AT&T Iphone 3g (older model) to Iphone 4 Verizon and so far I am very happy with the new Verizon. The ability to turn it into a wifi hotspot works well too. In case you want to use it for an access point for a separate laptop or I pad.

I have had both. Both are great phone which one has Itunes and Movie capabilities. ( Rentals) But the Droid has a bad a$$ navigation which is included in the monthly fee. I say The droid gives more options and is just as good. The only clear advantage Iphone has is the picture clarity. By far the best.

I had Iphone for 4yrs but with ATT. Had to make the move and Happy with my Droid and Verizon.

If you use google maps on the droid instead of verizons app navigation and the maps are free.

The droid has a better camera than the iphone - 8mp to 5mp - the only reason the pictures look better on the iphone is because it has a better display(640x960 pixels to droids 480x854 pixels)

I've never had an iphone but have the ipod touch, essentially same thing but doesn't make phone calls. For ease of use the iphone is hands down a simple machine. Bit the droid is way more customizable and if you take a few hours to orient yourself you'll fly around the operating system.

I did a lot of research before I bought my droid x and a love it! No problems whatsoever, even after dropping it in a bucket of used coolant and letting it dry out!

And just to reiterate, im talking about Motorola's DroidX in the specs.

anyone have a comparo between a droid and iphone? With the droids being aroudn 60% of sales in the last year, i would say the droid is better, but that is why Im asking...i have had neither

im waiting for the htc thunderbolt....it is supposed to be bad azz...but it has not come out yet...maybe in a few weeks...said it was comming out about 2 weeks ago and still no go.....but from what i read ( consumer reports) no cell carrier is true 4g yet...something like has to download 100mb in a sec or something....but im sure it is fast enough....

im waiting for the htc thunderbolt....it is supposed to be bad azz...but it has not come out yet...maybe in a few weeks...said it was comming out about 2 weeks ago and still no go.....but from what i read ( consumer reports) no cell carrier is true 4g yet...something like has to download 100mb in a sec or something....but im sure it is fast enough....

From what I understand the G in 3G, 4G etc is just "generation" so that could mean different speeds across different carriers right? So a "G" isn't really a technical term to describe speed right? Correct me if I'm wrong here. :think:

From what I understand the G in 3G, 4G etc is just "generation" so that could mean different speeds across different carriers right? So a "G" isn't really a technical term to describe speed right? Correct me if I'm wrong here. :think:

I think your right on the "G" generation. The problem with 4G is it is a standard that none of the companys have met yet but through "marketing" have used 4G as a selling term. T mobile is a 3G plus speeds but not 4G standard. Since 4G isn't the real name of the "standard" they can call it anything they want. Real 4G speeds are on the way. If you remember when 3G came out, only large markets had it for a few years and then it spread from there. Sucks for me since I live in the boonies. You vegas guys will be one of the first markets for obvious reasons. I need to find the article I read that explained all of this, it's a good read.

I think your right on the "G" generation. The problem with 4G is it is a standard that none of the companys have met yet but through "marketing" have used 4G as a selling term. T mobile is a 3G plus speeds but not 4G standard. Since 4G isn't the real name of the "standard" they can call it anything they want. Real 4G speeds are on the way. If you remember when 3G came out, only large markets had it for a few years and then it spread from there. Sucks for me since I live in the boonies. You vegas guys will be one of the first markets for obvious reasons. I need to find the article I read that explained all of this, it's a good read.

:blury: I have contemplated getting a Droid for a while now. Everyone I know is super happy with their Droid. Just want to stick with Apple considering everything else I have is Apple and works well with it. Knowing me I'll sit on this for a little bit longer and then make the jump to Verizon. :dunno:

If you use google maps on the droid instead of verizons app navigation and the maps are free.

The droid has a better camera than the iphone - 8mp to 5mp - the only reason the pictures look better on the iphone is because it has a better display(640x960 pixels to droids 480x854 pixels)

I've never had an iphone but have the ipod touch, essentially same thing but doesn't make phone calls. For ease of use the iphone is hands down a simple machine. Bit the droid is way more customizable and if you take a few hours to orient yourself you'll fly around the operating system.

I did a lot of research before I bought my droid x and a love it! No problems whatsoever, even after dropping it in a bucket of used coolant and letting it dry out.

And just to reiterate, im talking about Motorola's DroidX in the specs.

Of course after I wrote this my screen decided to flip out on tuesday and show me nothing but verticle lines. Took it to VZ and they overnighter me a new phone no questions asked.... apparently that was a common problem on the first issue of the phones,mine just took forever to come up I guess.

That would ba huge plus to get the droid

FYI:

. 0diggsdigg83 Comments+2808RecommendsEmailPrint.iPhone 4 vs. Droid X: A Head-to-Head Comparison

No two phones are hotter right now than the latest Apple handset and Motorola’s new Android phone. We compared both in hands-on tests in seven categories to crown an overall winner.

By Ginny Mies, PCWorld Jun 24, 2010 9:10 pm

Complete PCWorld Coverage

Apple 32GB iPhone 4 (GSM, AT&T)

Overview »

Check Prices »

Complete PCWorld Coverage

Motorola Droid X

Overview »

Check Prices »

Retina display! 8-megapixel camera! Video calls! HDMI port! The last few days have seen lots of shouting from proponents of the hot phones of the minute, the Apple iPhone 4 and the Motorola Droid X. Which phone really delivers the best experience? We got our hands on both and tested them in seven categories: cost of ownership, storage, connection speeds, still and video image capture, display and resolution, operating system, and multitasking and media playback.

The iPhone 4 won the majority of our battles--but barely. Both phones are incredibly fast, have superb displays, and come loaded with multimedia features. Some of our tests, such as OS and media playback, come down to personal preference. On the other hand, our display, still camera, and camcorder tests clearly prove that the iPhone 4 is stronger in those categories. And the iPhone 4 won our data-speed and voice-quality tests, though they were confined to San Francisco; the results could be different in other parts of the country.

Soon, we'll be putting the HTC EVO 4G and the Samsung Galaxy S through the same testing, so check back for those results.

Meet the Contenders

At this point, you've probably become pretty familiar with the iPhone 4 (available now on AT&T; $299 for 32GB, $199 for 16GB, both with a two-year contract) and the Motorola Droid X (available July 15 for $200 on Verizon, also with a two-year contract), but here's a quick refresher. The Droid X's standout features include a 4.3-inch display, an 8-megapixel camera, HDMI and DLNS connectivity, and a 1GHz TI OMAP processor. The iPhone 4's headlining features include its "Retina display," an improved 5-megapixel camera and a front-facing video camera for video calls, and HD (720p) video capture. To see how the specs stack up against each other, take a look at our comparison chart (click to enlarge).

Connectivity: Data Speeds and Voice Quality

The Stats: In the connectivity department, the Droid X and the iPhone 4 both come with Wi-Fi, GPS, and Bluetooth. What the Droid X can do and the iPhone 4 can't is to act as a mobile hotspot. For an extra $20 per month, the Droid X allows you to connect up to five compatible Wi-Fi devices, such as your laptop, your iPad, or other gadgets, to Verizon's network.

Both phones boast noise-cancellation technology, which is supposed to improve call quality by blocking sounds around you, leaving only your voice.

Testing Methodology: We tested the iPhone 4 and the Droid X in five San Francisco locations and used the same testing methodology we use for our 3G speed tests. We used the FCC-endorsed Ookla testing app on both the iPhone 4 and the Droid X to measure upload speeds and download speeds. The Ookla test sends a stream of packets from the phone to a network server and back, and then measures the average speeds at which the packets make the round trip. We ran three consecutive speed tests on each phone at each location and then picked the best upload and download speeds of the three. Our voice-call tests were more subjective; we placed calls to a common local number, listening for static, jitter, delay, dropped calls, or a failure to connect, and then assigned a score to each call.

Data Speed Winner: iPhone 4

In our informal performance testing in San Francisco, the AT&T-connected iPhone 4 registered far faster download speeds than the Verizon-connected Droid X did. The iPhone 4 showed an average download speed of 1958 kbps (almost 2 mbps) across our five testing locations in the city. The Droid X had an average download speed of 1130 kbps--still more than enough speed for reasonably fast Web browsing and standard-definition video watching. The two new devices posted similar average upload speeds; the iPhone4 registered 434 kbps and the Droid X averaged 564 kbps. Those upload speeds are fast enough to support basic file sharing but not enough to make fat-pipe apps such as multiplayer gaming or videoconferencing run well.

Voice Quality Winner: iPhone 4

The iPhone 4 showed an even greater advantage over the Droid X in our voice-call quality tests. In almost all the test calls we placed around the city, calls on the iPhone 4 sounded better than the Droid X. Calls sounded more natural, and were more pleasing to listen to on the other end of the line. We recorded no dropped calls on AT&T.

In test calls using the Droid X, the audio coming out of the earphone was usually clear enough, but it didn't sound as full and pleasing as that coming out of the iPhone 4. On the other end, I'm told, my voice sounded loud enough, but not as dynamic and even a bit shrill. We also noted some minor static on some calls, as well as a warbling sound in other calls. We recorded only one dropped call using the Droid X.

Obviously, you can't generalize too much from these tests. We were able to test in only one city, and testing over wireless networks is inherently unpredictable--weather and network traffic can affect the results in unknown ways.

Total Cost of Ownership, Plus Storage

Let's break down the cost of owning the phones. We looked at the most inexpensive voice and data plans as well as at the priciest plans for each phone to see how they compare. (Click the chart to enlarge.)

Our conclusion: With the cheapest options, Droid X costs about $360 more over two years than the 16GB iPhone 4 does, but the Droid X plan includes unlimited data, compared with 200MB for the iPhone 4.

With the high-end plan options for both smartphones, the Droid X costs $120 more over two years. The Droid X plan includes unlimited data, while the iPhone 4's data is capped at 2GB per month (though, to be fair, few users will exceed the 2GB limit).

You should also consider how much storage you're getting for your money. The iPhone 4 comes in only 16GB and 32GB models, as the previous 3GS generation did. As we all know too well, the iPhone 4 does not have expandable storage. The Droid X, on the other hand, has 8GB of storage built in, and comes with a 16GB MicroSD card in the box. And because the Droid X supports MicroSD cards up to 32GB, you can extend its storage up to 40GB.

Winner: Droid X

The total cost of ownership is not significantly more, and you get a larger data allowance and the potential for more storage capacity.

Still Camera

The Specs: The iPhone 4 sports a 5-megapixel camera sensor with an LED flash, which is a nice upgrade from the iPhone 3GS's 3-megapixel camera with no flash. The camera supports tap-to-focus in shooting mode, as well as photo geotagging.

On paper, the Droid X's camera seems a bit stronger. It has an 8-megapixel display with a dual-LED flash. The Droid X offers no tap-to-focus, but it does have a face-detection feature that will automatically focus on a (human) subject. In addition to an Auto mode, the Droid X has a handful of basic scene modes that you can adjust based on the shooting environment: Landscape, Portrait, Macro, Sports, Steady Shot, Sunset, and Night Portrait.

Testing Methodology: PCWorld's testing methodology for the iPhone 4 and Droid X cameras was a truncated version of our regular testing methodology for point-and-shoot cameras. We affixed each phone to a tripod and shot two images with the flash turned off:

1. One still-life scene with a color chart and delightful random objects to rate exposure quality and color accuracy.

2. A target chart and printed text to evaluate sharpness and distortion levels.

Here are the still-life shots from the iPhone 4 (left) and Droid X (click to enlarge).

Still-life shot by the iPhone 4.Still-life shot by the Droid X.

Below are the text and target charts, again with the iPhone 4 on the left (click to enlarge). Test shot from the iPhone 4.Test shot from the Droid X.

Winner: iPhone 4

Here's evidence that megapixel counts rarely matter: Apple's 5-megapixel iPhone 4 beat out the Droid X for overall image quality in our tests, serving up well-exposed, brightly colored images in our lab tests. However, the iPhone 4's image quality did lag behind the competition in two categories: sharpness and visible distortion. The 8-megapixel Droid X scored closely behind the iPhone 4 in all tests, however, and even beat the iPhone 4 in our sharpness

i have had the verizon iphone for over a month now and it is everything i need and much more. i have a mac book and use a lot of the mac programs and the i phone is just like having my laptop in my pocket. it syncs easy and completely. i moved up from a ATT iphone 3g and the verizon iphone 4 is so much faster calls are clear and so far no drops. the droid /iphone debate is the about the same as the PC/mac people are more comfortable with one or the other. i like the shield of mac and the app store from viruses. very happy to hear it works at dumont because rural coverage was a major factor in going with verizon.