Truck Maintenance

How often do you maintain your vehicle? Economy is bad, You dont want to spend the MONEY. Seriously I pulled this out of a customers vehicle today, And the only reason I did was because it turned on his check engine light! This guy would still be driving around with this THING in his air box..Customer vehicle not shown...(possible duner) :dope:

post-39-0-25870700-1309922420_thumb.jpg

post-39-0-31145400-1309922582_thumb.jpg

:laughing:

I don't have a paper filter. I just go until my oiled filter is so plugged up it just doesn't let my truck run anymore. That's way cooler.

Thanks freak. Not only did I waste my money on the oiled unit, now I can't be cool either?!?!? Fak.

dope.gif

No Camaro in filter, Just used for pic purpose. Should I have used a Mustang?

If you did you better put it on top of that sand pile! I know mine could walk up that dune.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Is that a duramax air filter? I replaced my '09 duramax filter at 8k-10k miles and it looked like that also. (Pile of sand in the driveway.) How often should those be replaced? I'm thinking about upgrading to an aftermarket filter because the factory ones cost $70-80.

Is that a duramax air filter? I replaced my '09 duramax filter at 8k-10k miles and it looked like that also. (Pile of sand in the driveway.) How often should those be replaced? I'm thinking about upgrading to an aftermarket filter because the factory ones cost $70-80.

Save yourself a headache and buy GM filter. K&N will mess with mass airflow sensor and throw it into limp mode. Don't ask why I know...

The filter is not the problem. Its the oil, too much oil will cause it to fall off the filter and possibly land on your MAF. Happened to my 95 Cobra. It wasn't running to its full potential and noticed my MAF was all sticky and dirty. Hit it with some Electrical parts cleaner and it brought my car back to life.

The filter is not the problem. Its the oil, too much oil will cause it to fall off the filter and possibly land on your MAF. Happened to my 95 Cobra. It wasn't running to its full potential and noticed my MAF was all sticky and dirty. Hit it with some Electrical parts cleaner and it brought my car back to life.

Not in this case, Tim. That is usually the problem, but we have even seen aftermarket paper filters kick MAF codes. They are very sensitive sometimes.

Yeah, I cleaned this one before I ever installed it. NO way was it over-oiled. The stupid thing went into limp mode just idling before I ever drove it. Everything was sealed up tight, and the MAF looked clean when I pulled it. It must not have liked the flow rate because when I installed a new GM filter, it went right back to normal. I'm generally not a fan of over-paying for factory stuff, but in this case it seems to be worth it. Once my truck is out of warranty, I'll start messing with it a little more.

You guys that are running K&N, is it on an LMM? I had a K&N on my 04 without a problem, but A LOT of people seem to dislike them on this engine...

Yeah, I cleaned this one before I ever installed it. NO way was it over-oiled. The stupid thing went into limp mode just idling before I ever drove it. Everything was sealed up tight, and the MAF looked clean when I pulled it. It must not have liked the flow rate because when I installed a new GM filter, it went right back to normal. I'm generally not a fan of over-paying for factory stuff, but in this case it seems to be worth it. Once my truck is out of warranty, I'll start messing with it a little more.

You guys that are running K&N, is it on an LMM? I had a K&N on my 04 without a problem, but A LOT of people seem to dislike them on this engine...

yup, mine is a LMM; an '09. Stock air tube with K&N replacement.

Never had an issue...yet :laughing:

I have an edge programmer on it. I know that it sends a clean sensor reading for the DPF that has been removed, but not sure if it does anything for the maf sensor...maybe that's why I'm doing ok with my k&n... :dunno: just thinkin out loud, I really don't know.

What happens when it goes into limp mode? power loss, warning light? If I know what to look for, I won't have to write a question on this site asking the chevy doc's, revealing how ignorant of a mechanic I am :dope::laughing:

yup, mine is a LMM; an '09. Stock air tube with K&N replacement.

Never had an issue...yet :laughing:

I have an edge programmer on it. I know that it sends a clean sensor reading for the DPF that has been removed, but not sure if it does anything for the maf sensor...maybe that's why I'm doing ok with my k&n... :dunno: just thinkin out loud, I really don't know.

What happens when it goes into limp mode? power loss, warning light? If I know what to look for, I won't have to write a question on this site asking the chevy doc's, revealing how ignorant of a mechanic I am :dope::laughing:

It's gotta be that there are a lot more without problems but all I hear are the ones with problems. Just like anything else, right? I would imagine that K&N wouldn't continue selling it for the application if it made them all fail.

If, and when, there is a problem, the truck displays "Engine Power Reduced" on the dash and the check engine light comes on.

On a side note, I have a new K&N (installed once, never drove with it) for sale. Cheap! laughing.gif