People from Vegas.

ngoodey

I'm new to Vegas so I was wondering the easiest ride to Dumont from here. I was going there from Pahrump which I can do was just trying to avoid the huge hill coming back. I've seen some people going down Tecopa road. I have an older motorhome pulling a double stacked trailer with 2 rails so just looking for the least amount of climbing even if I have to drive a little longer.

Tecopa Rd. is much narrower and has a very tight section in it. I have seen many people take motorhomes, and big haulers through there. they are MUCH braver then I am. I think the hill is easier going Tecopa, but you still get the pass going up Blue Diamond. Depending on where you are, I-15 might be a good option. I only have a small 2 space ATV trailer so my trip is pretty easy still.

Bottom line, there is a mountain range there, and you have to go over it somewhere, some how.

Good quote i heard once was something like, "this thing maybe slow, but all the fast stuff is in the trailer." It's not a race to get there so be safe.

Yep tight hairpins on that road in one section...other than that you still get some of the incline back up to blue diamond pass even going the tecopa route on the way back from dumont....there is a dump for RVs in tecopa though I think, so that is nice.....I will say on my last trip I saw a huge bus RV with 17 ft trailer hauling a$$ on the tecopa route

Edited by flavtfan

Tecopa Rd. is much narrower and has a very tight section in it. I have seen many people take motorhomes, and big haulers through there. they are MUCH braver then I am. I think the hill is easier going Tecopa, but you still get the pass going up Blue Diamond. Depending on where you are, I-15 might be a good option. I only have a small 2 space ATV trailer so my trip is pretty easy still.

Bottom line, there is a mountain range there, and you have to go over it somewhere, some how.

Good quote i heard once was something like, "this thing maybe slow, but all the fast stuff is in the trailer." It's not a race to get there so be safe.

I pull my 40' hauler down Tecopa, I agree though with "this thing maybe slow, but all the fast stuff is in the trailer."

Depending on where you live in Vegas, you can take the back way and go the Indian Springs route, that will bring you through Pahrump and avoid going over the mountain and making that big climb, then the grade coming back over it. Baker is a very long grade and for me is a longer route (depending on what side of town I guess).

• Like 1

It depends where u live. I live in Henderson and I take 15 thru baker and won't ever go over the hump to Pahrump again.

Everybody says the baker grade is bad but it's gradual. That hill up Pahrump if your pulling a stacker is horrid!!

So living in Henderson, I know it's a few miles out of the way but I set my cruise and sit back. Plus if god forbid u do break down, your going to get help a hell of allot quicker on the 15. Just my 2 cents

• Like 3

I have gone all 4 ways. If you live in the Northwest then I would consider the US95 route though Indian Springs and to Parump. No hills, pretty much all freeway or good highway(watch out for NHP in Indian Springs).

The Mt. Potosi grade is a tuff pull but if you take it easy and don't get unlucky and stuck behind someone slower than you it get's you there the fastest. Wether you take Tecopa or Pahrump you will encounter one more grade. The road out of Parump is wider, smoother and the grades are less severe.

The I15 is a longer pull as Baker is past Dumont and you have to come back to Dumont 33 miles from the turnoff in Baker. I also think the Baker grade is to long and to hard on rigs both ways.

I have a 40' M/H and a looong trailer. I prefer to take the Pahrump way and will occasionally take Tecopa rd if travelling with someone else. Hope that helps.

Terry

PS Nice thing about Pahrump is their are grocery stores and gas stations if you forgot anything and some really lousy fast food resturants if you can stand lousy food and lousy service.

• Like 1

aww come on , mcy D's has the play place......and subway on the way out. I hit it for dec special last trip out. 2$ meatballs.....and then if you want good food, theres the carls......

I fill up the toys in pahrump so I dont lug extra fual around. My trailer is 50ft......but I cheat and pull with a dodge with a lot power.