onan generator

lindernglamis

I can get my generator to start, but it will not stay running. I have new fuel in the tank and I pulled the carb off at one time, still nothing. The generator giving me fault codes like no fuel, but that seems not to be an issue. Next will be a new spark plug today, any other suggestions?

Also anyone have a suggestion on batteries.....was going to buy the blue tops by optima..

:eatdrink021:

Edited by lindernglamis

I can get my generator to start, but it will not stay running. I have new fuel in the tank and I pulled the carb off at one time, still nothing. The generator giving me fault codes like no fuel, but that seems not to be an issue. Next will be a new spark plug today, any other suggestions?

Also anyone have a suggestion on batteries.....was going to buy the blue tops by optima..

:eatdrink021:

Dude our toy hauler was doin the same thing .....turns out the fule line was kinked and started to crack so it was suckin air ...run a fuel line 9into a gas can and start it if it stays runnin its not gettin fuel so scope out ur line

I tried the gas thing and now the only way to get it to run for more than a few seconds is to play with the throttle. I have to fight the govenor to do this. Now the code is saying there is an issue with the computer. crap....I need to take the thing for work.

Just some info. Onan says that you have to run your gen. for 2 hrs a month under load. just to insure that it won't clog up the carb. Mine is doing the same thing. If I mess with the govenor I can keep it running. To check if it;s getting fuel. Hold the remote start switch that is on the genny to the left. This is a primer for the carb. You should be able to tell if its getting fuel or not. The bottom line is: mine is going to the dealer. The dealer says if the carb is the problem, there is no way to service it ( sealed unit ) and it will need to be replaced at my cost. I think they said $450 + labor. I'm going to call Fleetwood any cry BS. I don' know how far that will get me but with only 20 hrs on mine it worth a try. Good luck.

post-1167-1159794811.jpg

Just some info. Onan says that you have to run your gen. for 2 hrs a month under load. just to insure that it won't clog up the carb. Mine is doing the same thing. If I mess with the govenor I can keep it running. To check if it;s getting fuel. Hold the remote start switch that is on the genny to the left. This is a primer for the carb. You should be able to tell if its getting fuel or not. The bottom line is: mine is going to the dealer. The dealer says if the carb is the problem, there is no way to service it ( sealed unit ) and it will need to be replaced at my cost. I think they said $450 + labor. I'm going to call Fleetwood any cry BS. I don' know how far that will get me but with only 20 hrs on mine it worth a try. Good luck.

Same thing happened to my brother-in-law before last season. The carb is a sealed unit. He bought a new one and took the generator out of the hauler...serviced it himself...and re-installed the unit. No problems.

Fuel is not the problem...changed spark plug, just won't run. Now the code is telling me that the govenor is not working properly. I just got off the phone with onan and this is a problem with the carbs, they have such small jets that the clogg up...and stop working. The only reason I was told by ONAN that they can not service the gens if clogged is because of emissions. :laughing: The warrenty will cover the problem if it is the govenor or something else along those lines, but if the varnish is there then I SOL. I will work on the thing myself if there is varnish in there.

Edited by lindernglamis

Fuel is not the problem...changed spark plug, just won't run. Now the code is telling me that the govenor is not working properly. I just got off the phone with onan and this is a problem with the carbs, they have such small jets that the clogg up...and stop working. The only reason I was told by ONAN that they can not service the gens if clogged is because of emissions. :banghead: The warrenty will cover the problem if it is the govenor or something else along those lines, but if the varnish is there then I SOL. I will work on the thing myself if there is varnish in there.

MY BUDDY HAD THE SAME PROBLEM HE WENT TO CAMPING WORLD BOUGHT A NEW CARB ABOUT $110 INSTALLED IT HIMSELF ALL IS WELL NOW. HE STARTED WITH PLUGS FUEL FILTER HOSE ENDED UP BEING THE CARB ALL HE COULD DO WAS REPLACE IT :rockwoot:

I totally dismantled the carb and cleaned out every hole. Had to sharpen some safety wire to unplug the holes.. As soon as I put the carb on the gen started right up and ran for 20+seconds. It died and now every time the computer tells me there is a problem with the govenor.....What a pain.

• 4 weeks later...

thats what I was gonna say. the carb needs to be cleaned out completely. all the little orifices need to be cleaned

that happened to my generac. luckily, my fiend took my carb apart, cleaned it, and it fired right up!!!

I think also one way to get rid of this problem is to replace your steel or aluminum tank with a plastic tank that would fit in the same area. :happydrunks:

Mine did the same thing last year.

Does it run when you manually do the choke??? If so, there is a plastic handled screw(it's to adjust for elevation) in the bottom of the float. This is the airfuel mixture. It gets clogged, you have to actually break the plastic to get it all the way out. Pull it out and clean that orfice real well. It should run like a champ after that.

Joe

Edited by JoeDuner