Is your truck big enough?

jeeperbill

Ok at what point do you make the call and get a bigger truck? I am not talking about mine I am referring to having to follow someone at 30mph up the hill coming out of Dumont headed to Tecopa. I get it lots of toys are fun but when you are only capable of 30mph up hill isn't it time for a upgrade? I haul a 40' toy hauler with rzr 4 and quads with a dodge 2500 diesel with a upgraded trany and mild chip and can do well over the California legal limit. I almost feel sorry for the guy with the 30' bumper pull and a 1/2 ton truck that has his foot on the floor climbing hills. So should the truck match the trailer and toys or is it completely ok to do 30mph?

Not everyone can afford a high power diesel with all the bells and whistles, especially the way they are priced these days. I say as long as it's safe and they aren't impeding traffic then ok. BUT, when they block traffic going that slow up a 2 lane 55 mph speed limit highway, not cool. That's when people start trying to pass and it becomes dangerous. There's not many trucks with haulers or rv's that can do the speed limit going up Potisi towards Pahrump, but at least there is a passing lane.

• Like 1

well I am saying what everyone else is saying, as long as he is not over weight and can stop, slow go and don't burn up your equipment.

I have a diesel pusher and i don't go up Potisi because that is a steep a$$ grade (both sides) and there is no way I can do 55.. and NO I don't go 55 up Baker grade either, but I set the cruise and let it do its thing.. if I am slow OH WELL! there is a passing lane for that reason!

Yes I agree. My truck is very safe and rated at 25,000 tow capacity but I only pull about 15,000 and I do not go but 40-50mph up steep hills. If I were to get a big line behind me I would pull to the side and let them pass but that's never happened. If I get behind a slow truck I usually just go slow too and im grateful my truck doesn't have to work so hard. If its for a very long time I too get frustrated and ask my self why the guy doesn't have the courtesy to pull over and let everyone pass.

All in all I think people these days need some patience, that's what I think the big picture issue is. If you cant go 55mph and only go 30mph for about 15 minutes that's going to set you back a whole whopping what 5 mins on the overall trip? I say big deal but that's just me.

I have a 1/2 F150 and tow a WW Superlight....even fully loaded it can pull it pretty good. NOW, on big hills and whatnot, it does struggle. With that said, I always stay in the far right lane (even the truckers lane going up Baker Grade) and will also pull to the side if some REALLY needs to pass and doesn't have the room, but going up hill while struggling, pulling off only F's me and my momentum up. I used to have it floored with the RPM's pinged at 5500-6500 (up hill) but learned my lesson one time coming back (blown up piston and had to get a new block), so I watch it. Like Pete said, not all of us can afford a nice deisel truck that can handle anything. We deal with what we have....

We have the ability, we just don't feel the need to push the limit especially going up hill! Why push your truck unless you got extra money to spend on a repair and one day, its going to need the repair. I like to spend my money on good times and if it takes 15 more minutes to get there - so what. It's also safer. We used to run with a group who had to prove to each other whose stuff was bigger, faster, stronger and then we almost ate it when the trailer got squirrelly. Never again. Just slow down and enjoy the trip. What ya hurrying for anyway -- to get back to work?!?

I read on this site once, to slow down because the dunes are gonna be there when you get there...I think of a GNR song about patience... :P It took me several years to save up to get one of those overpriced diesel behemoths; I love it, and it's more than capable, but I started out as the half ton 4.8L gasser guy. Secondly, I don't stand on it with my diesel, because fuel prices still have me bent over. I agree with the math earlier stated; a few minutes behind a slow pickup ain't gonna cost you that much time. Heck, you could be stuck behind some stupid truck driver going even slower :P it's just the risk you take running big equipment, sometimes you win, sometimes you get caught behind grandpa snail...accept that and drive cautiously, and we will all get to have fun at the dunes :)

• Like 1

I towed my trailer pretty well up potisi I was able to do 40mph, 2nd gear, 3500 rpm.

This was loaded, water on board, fuel, tons of gear everything. I even weighed before I left and the trailer was right at my limit, about 9300lbs.

Leaving Dumont I was able to pull up the hill pretty easy also. with less gear, drained water.

Forgive me as I have not been around very long and do not know all the hills and mountain names, which hill is Potisi? Whats the name of the hill that goes from Blue Diamond to the top where the old saloon is? That's a pretty good little climb too.

Forgive me as I have not been around very long and do not know all the hills and mountain names, which hill is Potisi? Whats the name of the hill that goes from Blue Diamond to the top where the old saloon is? That's a pretty good little climb too.

Yep that's Potosi.