Stranded or broken down in the dunes

Ross and Alice

I usually tow it with another quad!

But better yet.... How do you get a sandrail back when it breaks down.

Our tatum had battery problems while we were deep into Dumont. We had to tow it back with 2 quads.... it sucked real bad. It took us over two hours to get back to camp!

Quad tows a quad...and a sandrail can tow a sandrail, usually. If the suspension is busted and it can't roll, you gotta get real creative. Either tow it back on 3 wheels or I dune my Dmax out into the dunes with my flatbed. :DDR_rocks!:

In this case...

S2010054.JPG

First a a beer....

S2010057.JPG

Then a sandrail to pull it out...

S2010067.JPG

Then dune the DMax and flatbed.... :thumb:

S2010070.JPG

S2010077.JPG

did anyone happen to catch the dumb a$$ woman who got her beamer stuck in that soft sand at the opening to the dunes??? tim and me were coming back in his car and happened upon that. can we say DERRRRRRRRRRRR. who does that? take a beamer out to banshee hill? :DDR_rocks!: :thumb::laughoff::laughoff: :angry2:

then saw a excursion stuck sideways on the hill to the right of that sometime later. buried to the frame, not sure how they got that out. looked like a mini van when you were riding up to it. :laughoff::laughing:

Edited by Sincity_blondie

did anyone happen to catch the dumb a$$ women who got her beamer stuck in that soft sand at the opening to the dunes??? tim and me were coming back in his car and happened upon that. can we say DERRRRRRRRRRRR. who does that? take a beamer out to banshee hill? :DDR_rocks!: :thumb::laughoff::laughoff: :angry2:

then saw a excursion stuck sideways on the hill to the right of that sometime later. buried to the frame, not sure how they got that out. looked like a mini van when you were riding up to it. :laughoff::laughing:

Who does that? You answered your own question.

Like most everyone we usually tow with quads if we can...if not then with a rail.

start small and work your way up... Quads, Buggies, if all else fails a good driver that can dune his or her truck out there... Depending on the location in dumont you can get a truck just about anywhere...

I had a 86 trx 250r two yr's ago and the top end blew in the bowl ......Couldnt tow it out with another quad and we tried to get guys with buggy's to help but they kept goin . So my buddy took his 4 door ford down there and ended up rippin the front drive line out .So we loaded the quad in the bed and got my old 74 pos dodge down there and tried pullin him out ...took about 2 hours and 50 trys but i finaly got the ford out .......That and i fried my tranny and every seal in it ...but atleast we made it out ....

I had a 86 trx 250r two yr's ago and the top end blew in the bowl ......Couldnt tow it out with another quad and we tried to get guys with buggy's to help but they kept goin . So my buddy took his 4 door ford down there and ended up rippin the front drive line out .So we loaded the quad in the bed and got my old 74 pos dodge down there and tried pullin him out ...took about 2 hours and 50 trys but i finaly got the ford out .......That and i fried my tranny and every seal in it ...but atleast we made it out ....

That's the very situation I'm talking about.

Glamis type situations where you're a million bowls from camp.

Do you think a Rhino with a winch and lots of rope woulda worked?

Thinking of setting up a Rhino for retriever duty to handle the task like you mention.

Have the rhino parked up on top the bowl, stationary, then fully extend the winch cable down into the bowl to the quad below,, then make up the rest of the distance to the quad with rope.

The use the winch to pull the quad up.

Waddya think?

That's the very situation I'm talking about.

Glamis type situations where you're a million bowls from camp.

Do you think a Rhino with a winch and lots of rope woulda worked?

Thinking of setting up a Rhino for retriever duty to handle the task like you mention.

Have the rhino parked up on top the bowl, stationary, then fully extend the winch cable down into the bowl to the quad below,, then make up the rest of the distance to the quad with rope.

The use the winch to pull the quad up.

Waddya think?

I've heard about nightmare situations you can get into out at G....I heard it took over 30 peeps to get a broken rail out of a bowl there once!! :headbang1:

It'd be nice to have a sky crane!!! :headbang1:

I think the rhino with a wench is a good idea. However, you might need a second vehicle to anchor the rhino in case of a heavy pull. :laughing: I read about someone doing this in the Altar dunes.....

post-475-1160675952.jpg

Rob served as the "dead man" for the winching operation. Note how far Kai was drug from the ditches in the sand.

post-475-1160675842.jpg