battery preference

lindernglamis

Just wondering everyones opinion on batteries. I think I going to buy the 6volt trojan batteries for my rig this week. I have read alot of articles and this seems to be the popular choice at $88 a battery. Any thoughts.

:barf:

http://www.trojan-battery.com/Products/Pro...aspx?Name=T-105

Edited by lindernglamis

Yeah,

I put two 6volt Trojan batterys in my trailer a couple years ago. They're AWESOME :barf:

I never worry about the charge anymore. I think it's the best way to go.

It'll be interesting to hear others opinions. :laughing:

R-

Sorry...I have only ever run dual 12V batts. I have heard nothing but good about the Trojan 6 volters though...other than the price is much higher. But by the looks of what you said...$88, they seem about the same price. I'd go for it if I were you then.

6 volt batteries are desoigned to recharge faster and more completely than 12 volt batteries. If you hook up 6 volt batteries you will be a very happy camper. I changed my system on my first motorhome and on every RV since. Battery problems are not a concern because of this. Just maintain them and you will love them. There's a battery store on Craig just east of 15. There prices are pretty good.

Is there anything else to change besides the batteries and the way they are wired? Inverter/converter?

Are these batteries larger than the 12v ones?

No since you hook them up in parrell they remain a 12 volt system. their is a wiring diagram on Glamisdunes.com under RV that will show you the wiring set up.

--------------------

Edited by ynot

No since you hook them up in parrell they remain a 12 volt system. their is a wiring diagram on Glamisdunes.com under RV that will show you the wiring set up.

--------------------

Correction Terry, you wire them in series, not parallel. In parallel, you would have 6 volts. Series gives you 12 volts.

Correction Terry, you wire them in series, not parallel. In parallel, you would have 6 volts. Series gives you 12 volts.

I was thinkin the same thing but i figured i would keep my mouth shut on this one.. LOL

6 volt batteries are desoigned to recharge faster and more completely than 12 volt batteries. If you hook up 6 volt batteries you will be a very happy camper. I changed my system on my first motorhome and on every RV since. Battery problems are not a concern because of this. Just maintain them and you will love them. There's a battery store on Craig just east of 15. There prices are pretty good.

Does changing the system involve anything other than switching the batteries and running them in series? do you have to change fuses or anything?

I don't think you have to change anything other than the battery wiring. The batterys combined equal 12volts so just like having one or 2 12 volt batteries. If you go to this website and scroll down there is a simple pic for hooking up the batterys.

http://www.ccis.com/home/mnemeth/12volt/12volt.htm

:thumb:

Edited by lindernglamis

I don't think you have to change anything other than the battery wiring. The batterys combined equal 12volts so just like having one or 2 12 volt batteries. If you go to this website and scroll down there is a simple pic for hooking up the batterys.

http://www.ccis.com/home/mnemeth/12volt/12volt.htm

:rockon:

Cool thanks for the info..

Is there anything else to change besides the batteries and the way they are wired? Inverter/converter?

Are these batteries larger than the 12v ones?

The wiring is the only thing you have to change. but only at the battery hookup. No fuses or anything like that.

The Trogan batteries are taller than the 12v deep cycle batteries that haulers come with.

I did minor trimming for wire clearance. And the lids don't snap tight like designed. A couple good straps holds em down good though.

Also I drilled holes in the bottom of the plastic boxes so water can drain out.

Peeps, rain and wash water gets in those boxes.

It's not good to have your batteries sitting in water.

Go check yours now. :thumb:

• 4 weeks later...

Had mine for about 2 1/2 yrs, excellento, mine sits in storage with only a solar panel. 6 volters were designed to run golf carts and can take being completely drained and recharged thousands of times over without damage. Don't try that even with deep marine 12 volters. This mod is a must unless you want to change batts every season.