BATTERY CHARGER

Sincity_blondie

Ok I need some assistance. I know someone told me there is some switch to shut my batteries down when its in storage, but I have yet to locate it. So I went to my hauler the other day to get it ready for dumont, and the batteries are completely dead. I couldnt even get my generator to kick on. So im wondering what everyone thinks about battery charges versus just a jump starter to get the generator going?

being in storage, my hauler is never hooked up to my truck long enough to charge the batteries completely, so wondering what input everyone has.

thanks for any help

yeah someone mentioned something about that. I just wasnt sure what that meant. What can I say, im letting my Blonde show I guess! :rockwoot:

I have a charger you can use once we get out to the dunes if you end up waiting that long. Otherwise I bought my charger from Checker. It's just a regular auto battery charger.

i am kinda in the same position.... my battery won't charge if plugged in. only off the generator, and my toy hauler is brand new.

mine charges if its plugged into an outlet, and when its plugged into my truck. its just never plugged in long enough to fully charge. and if yours isnt charging and its brand new, id take it back to the dealer. maybe the batteries are bad? or there is some other problem.

:rockwoot:

i am kinda in the same position.... my battery won't charge if plugged in. only off the generator, and my toy hauler is brand new.

Check the fuses in both your tow vehicle and toy hauler. I've heard a few people find them blown and had the same issue. Sounds like a longshot, but might be worth a try.

be carefull with the solar chargers if you dont get the managment unit that monitors battery charge you can cook the battery. the monitor will shut down the charging when the battery is at full charge and maintain it. even the small window unit i bought says it will cook the battery if just left plugged in.....

look into solar panel chargers...i don't think they are expensive and the have a low constant charge while in storage.

:rockwoot:

Ya thats what I'm talking about. I'm not able to park my rig at the house and have been looking into getting a solar panel to keep the bats up.

If you battery isn't charging make sure the terminals are clean and if you can keep it at home use a trickle charger on it. You can get a pretty good one for about 30 to 40 bucks at your local auto parts store. well worth it and you can use it for your bike batteries also.

Also my rig has a plunger type shut off right below the fridge.

so um yeah... i am a tard. after checking all the fuses and breakers (house and trailor), checking the continuity on my adapters, and wanting to choke somebody i found the problem. should have known better.... my inverter was set to like a 40 or 50 amp draw ( i have an adjustable inverter) it blew the gfi in my garage. man i feel like a tard. checked all the hard stuff and forgot about something so small

thanks everyone for the input. I actually was looking into the solar panels on campingworlds website. Ill probably end up goin that way. Im just hoping with the batteries being completely dead, that hooking it up to my truck will charge them enough to at least get my generator to kick on!! :rockwoot:

Edited by Sincity_blondie

Stacy by the time you leave to the time you get to dumont you will have enough juice in the batteries to start the gennie... also start the gennie when you get there w/ the Truck STILL hooked up so you have a little more juice from the trucks batteries to help get it going.. :D

prob only get like a tenth of a charge driving to dumont....but that might be enough

I know I was thinking probably wouldnt be enough. Im wondering if I should buy one of those jump start things or a battery charger to hook up on it out at dumont. goin to really suck to get all the way out there and not be able to even run lights cause I cant get my generator to kick on!

i have seen people pick thier trailer up w/ dead batteries let the truck run for 30-45min and be able to start the gennie... so a 1.5-2hr drive should be no problem.. Plus w/ the trailer still plugged into the truck and running you will be sharing some power from the trucks batteries... it will start.. :D

if the batteries cannot take a charge, due to damaged cells, then you will not be able to start the genny.

test the batteries first

do you store your hauler @ home, or @ a storage yard?

if at a storage yard, my friend takes his batteries home with him, keeps them in the garage, and hooks a trickle charge up to them every couple of weeks for like half a day.

I, on the other hand, am ready to switch out to 6v batteries. 3 yrs, and both are gone

I had the same problem, when ever I wanted to use my TH I would always have to go pick the batteries up acouple of days before, charge them and then reinstall them. That got old and I got smart, I called the manufacture (Ragen) and told him the problem and he told me there was a plunger switch in the front of the trailer by the batteries located on the frame, well it was drawing power from my batteries causing them to go dead so I pushed the plunger toggle switch thingy and now I'm good! :dunno:

Edited by TbonesMalones

I had the same problem, when ever I wanted to use my TH I would always have to go pick the batteries up acouple of days before, charge them and then reinstall them. That got old and I got smart, I called the manufacture (Ragen) and told him the problem and he told me there was a plunger switch in the front of the trailer by the batteries located on the frame, well it was drawing power from my batteries causing them to go dead so I pushed the plunger toggle switch thingy and now I'm good! :thumbsdown:

that is the battery disconnect, which stops taking battery power, and also doesn't ALLOW for the batteries to charge.

just gotta remember to pull it back out when running the genny, to charge up the batteries

I always take the batteries off the trailer and put them on float chargers. Never had issues. I don't trust the genny to properly charge the batts. You can cook a battery leaving trailer plugged in to shore power (unless you have the switch) Also gives me time to check the electrolyte level and add if needed. My wife likes lights, I like going a week + w/o firing up the genny other than nuking, deep frying, or firing up the compressor. More gas for toys! Just like anything else, batteries will last if you care for 'em.