Ever do the math???

dunefreak

I was just curious how much $$ I spend in a year for this expensive hobby/sport/addiction/passion/ whatever you wanna call it. So here's my list of expenses for my food, beer, fuel, truck payment, toyhauler payment, insurance, etc. How about the rest of you?

Each trip:

gas for generator, bikes and sandrail: $50

a tank of diesel for the truck to tow out the toyhauler: $80

food/beer/snacks: $150

misc sh*t that always comes up: $100

Each year:

truck payments: $423x12= $5076

toyhauler payments: $180x12= $2160

insurance for truck and toyhauler: approx $200x12= $2400

maintenance for ALL the toys: approx. $100/month x12= $1200

broken parts in a year= let's just say $1000 give or take a grand or two :grin:

season pass: $60

OHV stickers for all 4 toys: $80

After about 10 big trips per season + monthly & yearly expenses= $15776 :laughing: :headbang: :laughoff:

And that's just Dumont!!! Add about another $1500 for our 3 trips per year top Coral Pink!!

Damn I chose and expensive hobby!!! :ninja:

Going to Dumont w/ friends, relaxing, partying, & riding my a$$ off each year= priceless

I am afraid to look to even consider how much! In 2005 I bought a new motorhome, 3 new trailers(it's a long story)a new car and 2 quads. That's just 2005. I have been doing this so long that the number's would be staggering. In contrast I have sold a couple of trailers and a truck to offset some of the expense.

All in all I could have done something cheaper but I don't know what it would have been. It's a sport where you get to spend time away from home,jobs and phones and spend quaility time with family,friends and the machines that we love. I often think of when I might get out of the sport but just can't see my life without sand. That's why this year I am getting involved with the Friends of Dumont Dunes orginization and the BLM's TRT. I want to keep the dunes open and fun for my grandsons and their kids. Hope you will all help with it to.

That right there is half of my yearly take home.. doesnt leave much to live on... now you know why i sleep in the truck.. and have a hard time gettin my toys fixed.. :D

Nick , you always have a place to sleep in our fithwheel :laughing:

On the floor with the dogs :headbang: J/k no really we have a couch you can use if I can ever get out there with you guys.... :D

That is exactly why I try not to think about how much it costs. If I start thinking about the cash layout I won't go. YEAH RIGHT! But seriously, I put stuff on the credit card and pay it off later. My SANITY or should I say SANDITY :D is well worth the expense.

I figure I spent about $97,000 on toys last year.

1. Duramax 4x4 was 35,000

2. 30 ft. weekend warrior was 22,000

3. Sandcar was 40,000

Worth every penny though.......except when I'm cussing in my garage pulling the motor and trying to find parts :thumbsdown:

Ok, now that Joe dropped his cash he spent last year I can too.......dually, 25k...fth wheel ww, 26k, two sand cars 17k. New bike and quad....4.5 k...I don't wanna think about fuel, food and the biggest expense....beer...my divorce....expensive but worth it....I guess the only good thing is that they are free and clear......

• 2 years later...

I was just curious how much $$ I spend in a year for this expensive hobby/sport/addiction/passion/ whatever you wanna call it. So here's my list of expenses for my food, beer, fuel, truck payment, toyhauler payment, insurance, etc. How about the rest of you?

Each trip:

gas for generator, bikes and sandrail: $50

a tank of diesel for the truck to tow out the toyhauler: $80

food/beer/snacks: $150

misc sh*t that always comes up: $100

Each year:

truck payments: $423x12= $5076

toyhauler payments: $180x12= $2160

insurance for truck and toyhauler: approx $200x12= $2400

maintenance for ALL the toys: approx. $100/month x12= $1200

broken parts in a year= let's just say $1000 give or take a grand or two :ninja:

season pass: $60

OHV stickers for all 4 toys: $80

After about 10 big trips per season + monthly & yearly expenses= $15776 :beer_bang: :no_no: :bawl:

And that's just Dumont!!! Add about another $1500 for our 3 trips per year top Coral Pink!!

Damn I chose and expensive hobby!!! :thumb:

Going to Dumont w/ friends, relaxing, partying, & riding my a$$ off each year= priceless

And now with the higher gas prices and increased fees this sport is getting more and more expensive but I wouldn't trade it for anything...

Having a family of 5 I'm just glad I can still afford some Budweiser when it's all said and done....

:beer_bang:

Oh man I don't want to do this... :sigh: OK here goes :beer_bang:

Per trip, Dumont or Glamis (roughly the same distance):

Fuel for moho, $300

Fuel for toys, $100

Food/drink, $250

Pass, misc stuff at vendor's row: $100

Total $750, x 4 trips per year (avg) = $3000

Per trip, Cal City or Dove Springs (a lot closer):

Fuel for moho, $150

Fuel for toys, $100

Food/drink, $150 (shorter trips)

Total $400, x 4 trips per year (avg) = $1600

Annual expenses:

Moho payment, $700/mo = $8400/yr

Quad payments, $150/mo = $1800/yr

Insurance, moho/trailer/toys, $1500/yr

Registration for everything, $700/yr

Maintenance, $750/yr

Total: $17750 annually... dayumn. I'm sure I'm missing something, the real total's probably more like $20k/yr when I figure in credit-card payments and such, mostly from the buggy build.

Total investment: Moho $110k, quads $15k, buggy $21k, trailer $4k... $150,000 in toys. I paid $184,000 for my house in 1998... :no_no:

We're planning a trip to St. Anthony's this summer, the budget is $1500... mostly for fuel. :beer_bang: Thank you Big Oil.

Quality time with family and friends: Priceless.

Bikes im in both probably $5000, my trailer cost me $4000, the truck is $400 a month, insurance is $200 a month, $100 for a season pass.

Per trip

$100 in gas for the truck

$100 in race gas

$25 nitrous

$25 premix

$20 gas for the genny

$100 for stuff that breaks and or flats

$100 for food and beer

$50 in weed

My toys and trailer were all paid in cash so I figure roughly $500 per 3 day trip to the dunes $166 a day is WELL worth it :)

Im a cheap date :beer_bang: :beer_bang: :no_no:

Edited by britincali

Bikes im in both probably $5000, my trailer cost me $4000, the truck is $400 a month, insurance is $200 a month, $100 for a season pass.

Per trip

$100 in gas for the truck

$100 in race gas

$25 nitrous

$25 premix

$20 gas for the genny

$100 for stuff that breaks and or flats

$100 for food and beer

$50 in weed

My toys and trailer were all paid in cash so I figure roughly $500 per 3 day trip to the dunes $166 a day is WELL worth it :)

Im a cheap date :beer_bang: :beer_bang: :no_no:

you pay 50 bucks for weed? come on over to my house...i got plenty of that stuff in my flowerbeds and yard....i'll let ya pick it for FREE :bawl::thumb: