Pulling a fith wheel for the 1st time

Danielle

Ok! one more topic,for some info please.

We had a fs2300 ultralight weekend warrior that we just sold that some of you might have seen as I listed it .

Pulling it was fine never had problem's,now parking it that's a differnt story.For a good laugh,We went to Duck Creek and my husband was parking the box in the campground,daughter was in side the trailer.He went to remove the truck from the trailer and forgot to put the chalks behind the tires and the trailer rolled back and the front end dropped staight into the ground.All you heard was my daughter's sreams from inside the trailer.Thank god for the bob cat they had at the campground.

So anyway we have a new 08 Cr 37 ft weekend warrior fith wheel on order, and we will be pulling it with a 06 f-350 short bed with a slider hitch.Any info on all the do's and dont's on pulling,parking,setting up, turning and I am sure the list can go on.As this will be our first time ever towing a fith wheel and something this big.Any info would help please.

Thank you, Danielle :P

You the ones that hit the transformer and knocked out power at the lodge this summer?

You just need to practice with that long of a 5th wheel and remember that you need to swing wider to miss objects, its way different than a short bumper pull on turning. Hope you checked to make sure your truck was legal to pull that much weight?

You the ones that hit the transformer and knocked out power at the lodge this summer?

You just need to practice with that long of a 5th wheel and remember that you need to swing wider to miss objects, its way different than a short bumper pull on turning. Hope you checked to make sure your truck was legal to pull that much weight?

No we aren't the people did that to the transformer,we caused no damage Thank god, just a scared child.as for the truck that's all good.thanks

congrat on the new trailer. watch out on turns with the short bed truck that the trailer does not hit it!

If the truck does't have air bags under it you might want to do it. make a check list for hooking up it makes a bad dent on the bed of the truck if it is not pind or the landing gear is not down when your huban pulls out from under it and it falls on the truck. good luck

Fifth wheels are easier to tow, turn, manuver and back up....as previously mentioned, watch the the front of the trailer doesn't smack your cab. Even though you have a sliding fiver hitch, by no means are they fool proof. The only fifth wheel sliding hitch I've seen that is fool proof is the super glide. It has a hefty price tag. CDAVEGO and Dunesmurf have that hitch in their truck and it is bada$$. Also if you have enormous pin weight you may need to get aibags on the rear.....enjoy

WITH A 5th WHEEL IT WILL TRACK BETTER THAN A PULL TRAILE SO THE SWING WIDE IS NOT ALL WAYS TRUE AND HEY HAVE FUN THATS A NICE TRAILER :monkeedance2:

WITH A 5th WHEEL IT WILL TRACK BETTER THAN A PULL TRAILE SO THE SWING WIDE IS NOT ALL WAYS TRUE AND HEY HAVE FUN THATS A NICE TRAILER :beercheers:

Thanks for the info,I only hope we will have time before we go to coral pink for easter for my husband to take out and practice with it in a empty parking lot.They say the new toy hauler should be here by the last week in march.Thanks, Danielle :P

Like others have said ,, swing wide. We got our CR3905 in 06 and have had it out about 10 time's, I felt I was very good at backing a trailor but the 5th wheel takes some getting used to. I have a long way to go to feel as comfortable backing as I did my pull trailor. So when you think your wide enough, go a bit wider :)

I pull with a 05 F350 DRW King Ranch and it does great. I did put on the Firestone air bags and am happy. Not sure that I really needed to. You will love the way the 5ver pulls down the road compaired to the pull behind.

Take your time hitching and unhitching, make sure you don't miss any steps. But after the 1st couple times you will wonder what you where worried about.

2330348210096516097gJdvpx_th.jpg

2019796630096516097QyMmiQ_th.jpg

Edited by hdrider

Like others have said ,, swing wide. We got our CR3905 in 06 and have had it out about 10 time's, I felt I was very good at backing a trailor but the 5th wheel takes some getting used to. I have a long way to go to feel as comfortable backing as I did my pull trailor. So when you think your wide enough, go a bit wider :)

I pull with a 05 F350 DRW King Ranch and it does great. I did put on the Firestone air bags and am happy. Not sure that I really needed to. You will love the way the 5ver pulls down the road compaired to the pull behind.

Take your time hitching and unhitching, make sure you don't miss any steps. But after the 1st couple times you will wonder what you where worried about.

2330348210096516097gJdvpx_th.jpg

2019796630096516097QyMmiQ_th.jpg

Do You have a short bed or long bed?Some people said we might not need the air bags.I guess we will try it out without it first.By the way your pics is that where you live cause if so it looks real pretty, and where is that?thanks,Danielle :P

Fifth wheels are easier to tow, turn, manuver and back up....as previously mentioned, watch the the front of the trailer doesn't smack your cab. Even though you have a sliding fiver hitch, by no means are they fool proof. The only fifth wheel sliding hitch I've seen that is fool proof is the super glide. It has a hefty price tag. CDAVEGO and Dunesmurf have that hitch in their truck and it is bada$$. Also if you have enormous pin weight you may need to get aibags on the rear.....enjoy

Hi! wingnut,you said a couple of people on this site have super glide hitch can you locate them for me ?Iam going to try to price them out since we have some time until the new toy box arrives.Thanks,Danielle :P

That hitch is a bout 3k, watch the cab like they said when you turn, I can do a U in a cul-da-sac without sliding and not hit the cab. Oh and get airbags, I have the firestone bangs and they work great.

http://www.truckspring.com this is where I got my springs, they were the cheapest and if you do ground shipping, the shipping should be free.

Edited by mineurbiz

That hitch is a bout 3k, watch the cab like they said when you turn, I can do a U in a cul-da-sac without sliding and not hit the cab. Oh and get airbags, I have the firestone bangs and they work great.

http://www.truckspring.com this is where I got my springs, they were the cheapest and if you do ground shipping, the shipping should be free.

Thanks we will look into it. :P

PUT AIR BAGS ON...Here is mine without airbags. And this 40' is not as heavy as the new ones with fiberglass sides. You will be fine. 5th wheels pull great, like there not even there. Like everyone said, watch your corners.

post-448-1170021096.jpg

PUT AIR BAGS ON...Here is mine without airbags. And this 40' is not as heavy as the new ones with fiberglass sides. You will be fine. 5th wheels pull great, like there not even there. Like everyone said, watch your corners.

YEAH..whatever! If I hear one more person say that Imma gonna :laughoff: someone. :laughoff::laughoff::laughoff:

OK, here it is....." You know when you drive an awesome, best built, most powerful truck there is, you can tow anything".....blah, blahhhhhhhhhhhhhh :bawl: :fart: :idea:

Thanks you guys for all the feedback.I got it ,swing wide,stay straight,don't trim the trees,and survey all entrances before we enter.Well it will be an exciting story I am sure to tell after we attempt to pull all the above off.Get back to you guys on that topic in about 5 weeks.

Thanks everyone,Danielle :P

dunefreak...you can delete that topic if you would like,as I see everyone pretty much has the same thoughts.that's all good .I will remember as we are driving to keep telling hubby to swing wide,Ha! Ha! we will see how long he will let me stay in the truck before he throws me out.No just kidding...Everyone gave great advice just have to wait until it happen's.Thanks, Danielle :P

dunefreak...you can delete that topic if you would like,as I see everyone pretty much has the same thoughts.that's all good .I will remember as we are driving to keep telling hubby to swing wide,Ha! Ha! we will see how long he will let me stay in the truck before he throws me out.No just kidding...Everyone gave great advice just have to wait until it happen's.Thanks, Danielle :P

We don't delete topics here. If we did that there would be no useful info for people that have the same question of concerns like yourself. Many peolpe get tips just from reading the threads. :bawl:

We don't delete topics here. If we did that there would be no useful info for people that have the same question of concerns like yourself. Many peolpe get tips just from reading the threads. :bawl:

Oh! I didn't know how you worked it.

Danielle :P

Not sure what it was on but smokin deal!

and Model : PullRite SuperGlide Category :Parts City : South Orange County , State : CA

Year : --

Price : $650 obo

PullRite SuperGlide 16K Fifth-Wheel Hitch for shortbed trucks. This hitch is New - it was installed in the truck but never used. It mounts using the 'Totally Removable Base Rail' system. It retails for $1800+ but I am asking only $650. For all of the specs on this hitch go to www.pullrite.com/superglide and view the 16K Superglide Details. (Photo is from the PullRite website) Feel free to call or email with any questions. 949-366-6424

Not sure what it was on but smokin deal!

and Model : PullRite SuperGlide Category :Parts City : South Orange County , State : CA

Year : --

Price : $650 obo

PullRite SuperGlide 16K Fifth-Wheel Hitch for shortbed trucks. This hitch is New - it was installed in the truck but never used. It mounts using the 'Totally Removable Base Rail' system. It retails for $1800+ but I am asking only $650. For all of the specs on this hitch go to www.pullrite.com/superglide and view the 16K Superglide Details. (Photo is from the PullRite website) Feel free to call or email with any questions. 949-366-6424

iweb,Thank you so much for finding this.We are going to buy it just have to figure out how to get it to us.What a great deal.You made a monday morning off to good start.Thanks, Danielle