Carburetor screw problems

Foxysandchick

Just got my new bike back from Dumont and I have a problem, the head of the screw to drain the carburetor is stripped and I cant get the screw out, so I cant drain the carburetor. We had to haul the bike standing and I dont know if that is now going to cause a problem :dunno: The shop wanted about $80 to get the screw out, but then they said they dont have a replacement :dunno:. So any suggestions on getting that screw out without removing the entire carburetor and where can I get a replacement? (it is on a 2007 Suzuki z400 if that matters) Much thanks and appreciation. :beercheers:

Can you get to the head of the screw with some vise grips? Go to bike bandit and order the screw. I just looked on bikebandit for an 06 bowl drain screw and you should be able to buy a set of needle nose vise grips and get it out, then order a new one. I have had to do this on a raptor bowl screw, if you can replace it with an allen head instead of those crap factory screws.

www.bikebandit.com

Edited by mineurbiz

Thanks guys, we got some vice grip pliers and got the screw out. I ordered a new screw from a local shop for $2 :D. I asked them about an allen head screw, but they said they didn't have any for that bike. I just can't believe that the shop I bought it from tried giving us such a hard time about it and the other shop worked on it for free (don't think I should mention the names, cause I don't want to piss anyone off). The gas ran into the air box, so I am in the process of cleaning and oiling the air filter, but other than that we have fixed it all. Much appreciation. :dunno:

Can you get to the head of the screw with some vise grips? Go to bike bandit and order the screw. I just looked on bikebandit for an 06 bowl drain screw and you should be able to buy a set of needle nose vise grips and get it out, then order a new one. I have had to do this on a raptor bowl screw, if you can replace it with an allen head instead of those crap factory screws.

www.bikebandit.com

I got the problem solved, I am going to check out that site for future reference. None of the shops in town had replacement parts for a 2007, so one ordered the screw from the factory. Thanks for the info. :D

I got the problem solved, I am going to check out that site for future reference. None of the shops in town had replacement parts for a 2007, so one ordered the screw from the factory. Thanks for the info. :D

anytime, see if the parts are the same for an 06, that might help. I think most of the people on the forms are willing to help those is need.

anytime, see if the parts are the same for an 06, that might help. I think most of the people on the forms are willing to help those is need.

I got some really good info from a few people, so I am checking into different options. At the moment I have a screw being ordered, hopefully that one doesn't cause a problem, but if it does I will know many ways to try to fix it and will go with something other than a standard replacement screw.

I am really disappointed with the shop and will be telling them that when I take it in for service.

Much appreciation to all of you. Thanks! :laughing:

when you take the carb loose again for the dyno-jet install replace all of the float bowl screws with allen bolts and you can get them at RANCHO TRUE VALUE HARDWARE :)

Didnt even have to ask and you have the answer. I was looking for an allen head replacement for the drain screw, but couldn't find one and had to order the same one it has from a local shop, they said it was a 2007 thing :beercheers:.

Thanks again!

when you take the carb loose again for the dyno-jet install replace all of the float bowl screws with allen bolts and you can get them at RANCHO TRUE VALUE HARDWARE :)

No doubt, that is also a must on the Raptors. The thing to be careful about is when you get the allen heads is not to over tighten them, it is really easy to do and the carb is soft metal.

Make sure you dont go to Sam's Cycle and talk to Meg, she will just srew up the order :laughoff:

Hey that chick in the fur coat works at a local shop..met her on Pres day at the shop to get a new carb. screw ordered, she messed up the order and now its going to be another week :(.She was cool though :D.

I don't actually care to reply to this post other than to defend the person named since I didn't name names and I don't actually have a problem with her, she was cool like I said. Minor mistake on her part and they are correcting it, no big deal, they were very helpful at the shop. My bad if you took that post for more than it was intended, but it wasn't very respectful to name the shop.

Edited by Foxysandchick

You should be able to take the old screw to any parts house or hardware store and match it with a allen. I dont think its anything special and one more thing. I wouldnt be standing your bike up with out a fuel shut off. Stupid Zuki put that vacume crap on these bikes, but you can buy a inline one from a bike shop.

Edited by sandcrab74

You should be able to take the old screw to any parts house or hardware store and match it with a allen. I dont think its anything special and one more thing. I wouldnt be standing your bike up with out a fuel shut off. Stupid Zuki put that vacume crap on these bikes, but you can buy a inline one from a bike shop.

Thanks, but I went to 3 parts stores and 4 off road shops and none of them had one, had to order one from suzuki. Don't know how to describe it, but the screw has a special shape to it, comes to a long point at the end. It isnt the screws for the float bowl.

We were following the directions from the shop on how to load it standing and went to drain the carb like they said and the screw got messed up. We got it drained to get to Dumont, but had to transport it standing without draining the carb on the way back due to not being able to get the screw out again and that caused gas to run into the airbox. I got the filter cleaned and recharged and the screw is on order.

I don't know what you mean about a vacuum thing or an inline..?

**Sorry for the caps, I copied and pasted this**

FUEL PETCOCK IN THE ON POSITION AND ENGINE OFF. ON THE LEFT SIDE BOTTOM OF YOUR CARB THERE IS A PHILIPS SCREW. LOOSEN THE SCREW AND IT WILL DRAIN THE BOWL OUT A LINE BY YOUR RIGHT FOOT PEG THEN TIGHTEN SCREW. AS LONG AS YOU DONT START THE BIKE AFTER THAT YOU WILL BE FINE TO HAUL IT ON THE GRAB BAR. IF YOU TURN THE PETCOCK TO PRI FOR A SECOND BEFORE RESTARTING IT WILL MAKE IT EASIER TO START AFTER YOU SET IT BACK ON THE WHEELS.

Didn't know if you were riding a zuki also and had trouble transporting, but here are the instructions for transporting it on the rear end.

Edited by Foxysandchick

Meg is a cool chick, I go to SAM's (he is a great guy too) and buy stuff, never had a problem yet.

Yup, she was totally cool. They were a great help with my screw problem, even though the order got messed up. I got my air filter stuff from them also. We are definately going back to them for other things. :laughoff:

Yup, she was totally cool. They were a great help with my screw problem, even though the order got messed up. I got my air filter stuff from them also. We are definately going back to them for other things. :laughoff:

A group of us went to Amargosa last season and she is a riot!!!

Edited by mineurbiz