Frame crack question

HappyHour

Just wondering some of your takes on this. I have a crack that developed, but I don't know how long it's been there. It's in the front of my car and comes off a weld. Now my question is........if I baby the car this weekend until Saturday afternoon, do you think I'll have an issue with it???? :icon_twisted: I wouldn't want to pay the welder guy out there a ton of cash to spot weld a crack so it doesn't go any further.

If its cracked ,it going to get worse and go further, especially if its at a susp. mount point..You should have it sleeved and rewelded befor driving it anymore!!!! even puttin the car around its gonna flex

the offroad one is correct at minimum go get it welded....................................................

shouldn't cost but a lil bit......

If its cracked ,it going to get worse and go further, especially if its at a susp. mount point..You should have it sleeved and rewelded befor driving it anymore!!!! even puttin the car around its gonna flex

So why do you have to sleeve it, won't welding it hold good, or is that just a weak point that you want to strengthen? Sorry just trying to learn, would love to learn how to weld.

:hello: ok when you weld on top of a crack the heat goes threw the crack to other side aka inside the tube.weeking the metal around the crack making it weak. if you sleeve the tube you get twice the stregth back and your mind is not going to worry about the weld anymore. stronger and better to do that then just welding on top of the crack

also if you want to learn how to weld just save some cash go buy a small 110 mig welder that is pretty much what you need to learn and just strat praticeing welders arnt that much

Edited by mtwalet

So why do you have to sleeve it, won't welding it hold good, or is that just a weak point that you want to strengthen? Sorry just trying to learn, would love to learn how to weld.

What mtwalet said is true.....the tube from prior weld has already been welded(which had heat to it) unless it has been nealed which if it is not chromoly more than likely it was just welded......and just rewelding the crack is going to be weak and give you issues,not to mention welding over cracks would make it look like a hat full of smashed a-holes :hello: but the sleeve will give it strength , and should be a problem later down the road..hope that helps :mc_smiley:

Edited by OFFROADRACER

Thats why when you build these buggies they should be (PRE-STRESSED) but dont think many do that.

send me pics of where its at. i'll look at it I can bring my welder out if its fixable. i wont charge you anything. but do send pics of the crack. let me know asap

Thats why when you build these buggies they should be (PRE-STRESSED) but dont think many do that.

send pics of where its at. I can bring out my welder or you can bring it to my house let me look at it to maybe weld it for ya. I wouldn't charge ya.

*QUICK QUESTION WOULD YOU RATHER HAVE SOMETHING SNAP OR JUST BEND

ITS LIKE (BOLTS) PEOPLE THINK GRADE 8 BOLTS ARE THE BEST ON THINGS BUT IT DEPENDS ON WHAT YOUR DOING WITH THEM. SOMETIMES HAVING GRADE 5 STRETCH IS BETTER THAN HAVING GRADE 8 SNAP.

SOMETIMES THINGS ARE BUILT THAT WAY FOR A REASON.

*EXAMPLE: BRAKES alot of people like using lifetime warranty brakes on their cars, but what happens is. the brakes dont wear out,BUT the rotors do. which is cheaper to replace. (answer) not the rotors.

Sorry, I just think different than most.

***He is right you do need to anneal the metal afterwards to strengthen it. but otherwise let it cool (slowly) dont throw water on it to cool it off otherwise it will snap when or if it breaks.

I dont believe in sleeving things.

typically your weld (should be) stronger than the surrounding area anyway.

I'm not trying to be a smart a$$. I do have credentials :mc_smiley:

Before I started my new business. I was a CERTIFIED MASTER FABRICATOR.

I built aluminum trusses. and Custom Flying Effects for movies and theatre for many many yrs.

I had to know my (shiat) to fly these movie,tv stars or they would fall to most likely there death.

KINDA LIKE SUPERMAN...

worked as a news paper guy by day and was superman by night :hello: