RAIL QUESTION ON TRANNY

CaptNkllm

I am looking at a sand rail. the transaxle is broke and needs repaired (091 transmission) B stub (i think thats how its spelled) it has a cadilac motor.

what is the cost and if it broke now is it something that will keep breaking?

this would be my 1st rail purchase and i dont want to buy something that breaks all the time. any hel would be appreciated. thanks

Capt

Edited by CaptNkllm

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am looking at a sand rail. the transaxle is broke and needs repaired (091 transmission) B stub (i think thats how its spelled) it has a cadilac motor.

what is the cost and if it broke now is it something that will keep breaking?

this would be my 1st rail purchase and i dont want to buy something that breaks all the time. any hel would be appreciated. thanks

Capt

If it is a V8 then I believe your going to have continu :MBdance: ing issues with any tranny less than a 2-d at a minimum. If the motor is built or turbo'd you better be thinking of a S-4 or S-5 at a minimum. I will tell you from experience that the northstar motor can be difficult to find anybody that knows the engine and will work on it.

If it is a V8 then I believe your going to have continu :MBdance: ing issues with any tranny less than a 2-d at a minimum. If the motor is built or turbo'd you better be thinking of a S-4 or S-5 at a minimum. I will tell you from experience that the northstar motor can be difficult to find anybody that knows the engine and will work on it.

it runs at about 320hp he said. thats what i was wondering if it will always be a problem. thanks

CApt

The 091 trans is dependable up to 250 HP. The mendi 4E is good it about 325HP. And the 2D is good up to about 400 HP. These are just basic numbers, torque and driving style are a huge factor in this equation.

Yep ^^^.

It sounds like it wasn't set-up right in the first place.

I think that HP will destroy the 091 quickly.

If you,re thinkin' about buyin' the car,

I would consider an E or 2D Mendeola, since you need to repair it anyways.

They run about $5-7k. :MBdance:

i'd go with the Mendi 2D if i was you because u have a tough tranny and you could upgrade your CV's to 934s. in you wanted to because if you have 930s you could spin them easy. and thats a nasty fix to do when your at the dunes.

anyone see any good deals at 25,000 or lower that are really worth the money? this will be my 1st rail and not sure what to look for and what to actually get. this will be for the family so i am looking for a 4 to 5 seat 5 preferred. looking at maybe a turbo subi or another but just want something fun and wont break to often.

found this 1 for a good price

2001 original Suspension Unlimited. Runs great. Dependable 4 seater. Mazda rotary engine with Turbo, 350 hp.

what do you guys think?

thanks

Capt

not sure how to change pics to a jpeg so they are bmp now so might not workill try again

untitled1.bmp

untitled2.bmp

untitled.bmp

Edited by CaptNkllm

That's a good looking car, and suspensions unlimited builds a nice car.

I don't mean to discourage you,

but if you want something dependable,,, Stay-Away from Rotary motors. :thumbsdown:

They haul-arse, But they're like a 2-stroke. the maintenance is demanding. :undecided:

I think the rotary motor is one of the least dependable motors out there.

There are many other better choices in my opinion.

My car has a Honda 3.5 V6, It's super dependable. :driver:

Other good motors are Subaru, Ls series chevys.

More of my pennies for ya. :2cents:

R-

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I'm with Randog subie or :thumbsdown: unless you can work on it your self. 930's 934's is a matter of prefferance I have 930's in my car and have yet to break one it all in the driving style don't stand in it from a dead start get it rolling and then stand in it .

just my :undecided:

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I'm with Randog subie or :thumbsdown: unless you can work on it your self. 930's 934's is a matter of prefferance I have 930's in my car and have yet to break one it all in the driving style don't stand in it from a dead start get it rolling and then stand in it .

just my :undecided:

what motor do you have in your car?

your first car any car from a rep builder would be a good start all depends on what motor you want ????????

If it is broken to start with than stay away. save a little more and get a car that doesn't need to have repairs right away plent of them out there . the most pop seem to be chevy honda and subie. some just handle better than others I don't want a car to do wheelies all the time I like the wheels on the ground when you are under power if you have to steer with the walker break when under power not good just my thoughts

its a nice looking car its the wrong time of year to get a ride but call a see if they will take it out and give you a ride

wrong time of year to get a ride??? It's just the opposite. You are gonna find better deals on the off season rather than right in the middle. It's just like shopping for a boat except different times of the year to buy. You are gonna get a better deal in December rather than June.

Good luck on your search CaptNkllm. I personally would stay away from Quicksand Perfromance. The guy I bought a rail from a while back had a brand new one and had many parts of the car break from fatigue due to poor design.

ok here we go again. i ask and i get an oppinion (which is what i asked for is the 1st place lol) i post and i get a no for many reasons per car lol now

a 2000 funco with a 2.2 subie with 350 hp with turbo

FUNCO, 'FUNCO DUNE BUGGY, exc cond, Subaru turbo, 350hp, airbags, ps, turning brakes, GPS, sand tires, dirt tires, 5 seater

now can ya pick this appart :undecided::thumbsdown:

give it to me lol also u think 25,000 is to much?

Capt